Adger

Tips for Newbies who want to use TAC

Hi all just a few tips IF you use the TAC display..

If you find the TAC display too large you can resize it by going into C:\Users\(your name)\AppData\Roaming\OBD_Games\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields and finding the ViewUI.xml file (Backup 1st).

Right click and open with Notepad, Sroll down near the bottom until you find

</HUDVsiMetric>
<TacticalDisplay BGIMage="tactical_display.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="512 512" BGScale="0.30" BackColor="0x1f0000FF" Mode="0"/>
<TacticalDisplayMetric BGIMage="tactical_display.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="512 512" BGScale="0.30" BackColor="0x1f0000FF" Mode="0"/>

And change the BGscale= from 0.30 to 0.25 or even 0.20 if you like on BOTH lines,it'll make your Tac display smaller Save and exit...EDITED (Thanks POL)  make sure filetype is set to *.* first in notepad, then save as ViewUi.xml  otherwise it will save it with .txt on the end which won't work  

When on the main flight screen Shift+T Turns TAC On/Off It (Can be dragged if required to anywhere on the screen if required with the mouse button)  pressing T will toggle between aircraft,structures, airfields ect
Shift+D toggles messages on screen and CTRL+D will give you more advice ie (when to turn on engines ect)

Hope this helps any newbies or even old heads. :good:
Regards

Edited by Adger
Added Pols comments below cheers mate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

..and one thing, when saving in Notepad make sure filetype is set to *.* first in notepad, then save as ViewUi.xml  otherwise it will save it with .txt on the end which won't work!

Thanks Adger.

Edited by Polovski
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Polovski said:

..and one thing, when saving in Notepad make sure filetype is set to *.* first in notepad, then save as ViewUi.xml  otherwise it will save it with .txt on the end which won't work!

Thanks Adger.

Your absolutely correct Pol I've edited the original post cheers mate

• Like 1

Good tip, thank you for sharing it.  I haven't played for awhile so was thinking of using the TAC and being able to resize it is great.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Baldric said:

Good tip, thank you for sharing it.  I haven't played for awhile so was thinking of using the TAC and being able to resize it is great.

Thanks Baldric, any questions il try my best to help mate :drinks:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TROOPER117 said:

I've never used the TAC for anything... is it useful?

Can be mate, it gives you a line on the display to your objective,distance ect. ..its good for anyone starting out who wants to familiarise say ..like formation flying. It shows a red line on the Tac that helps keeping and being in formation. Its a really useful aid for some.

Helps with things like landing at the right field, flying in the right direction ect.

Edited by Adger
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Would this TAC resizing tweak work with Wings Over The Reich?

Thanks.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fanny_Barton said:

Hi guys,

Would this TAC resizing tweak work with Wings Over The Reich?

Thanks.

Yes it does Fanny, i use it myself at times in WOTR :good:

• Thanks 1

The TAC will also display the Instructor Mode Information (CTRL-T) which provides some indication with what the games expects you to be doing (not that this has to be done). 
As I gained more experience I found I did not like the RADAR map of the TAC - so I set the BGSCALE to .01 (IIRC) which effectively hides the RADAR screen but allows the INSTRUCTOR mode info to be displayed.

• Thanks 2