redwolf

Mouse view now comparatively slow/ lacking previous fluidity

This is with either using the mouse directly, or using the mini-stick on my throttle (which I have remapped to mouse) - both incidences, the mouse view, which was once very fluid and snappy in PE is now slow and even, dare I say, jerky somewhat with BH&H II (this with identical settings).

Just pointing this out.

(Edit: Panning with a Hat still works well as before (snappy and fluid)).

Edited by redwolf

Well, I've edited the d3d8.ini to increase speed (which I later recalled doing for PE (found in one of the old patch notes)) and that has helped. However still not able to get that fluidity that was in PE.

Edited by redwolf

OK thanks.  Nothing has changed in the mouse look code, so maybe needs some tweaking via game settings or check GPU settings.

Yes, thank you. I am going to have to play with the settings eventually, I fear. Right now I have hat pan and mouse look speed (which I use with my mini-stick) set to be pretty much exactly the same. It is just shockingly different now the disparity in fluidity when looking around in mouse view then immediately doing the same with the hat (in one situation (hat), the viewing pans crystal clear and entirely fluid, the other (mouse) now goes the same speed (adjusted) but complete degradation in fluidity and image quality). Whereas with PE there was no difference for me. 

Preliminary benchmark comparisons has shown that BHaH indeed is quite a bit more demanding on my system than PE -- and that I suppose is the main factor I am experiencing. So it looks like I will ultimately have to lower settings (cry) if I want to improve it (unless of course you guys find some sort of optimization somewhere in this regards).

One thing is you had lower settings in PE as you were using modded configs.  Setting everything on "5" but then using modded configs means you already had lower quality visuals and settings before -  in other words even though the workshop graphics settings may have said "5" they weren't  5, because the modded config underneath was in fact using lower quality visuals.

So lower some settings and you may get similar results (and quality image) as before.

A more useful test would be stock PE, on all "5" and a stock BH&HII on all 5 with same mission same place blah.

Edited by Polovski

Indeed. Though I am not going to uninstall BH&H II and reinstall PE at this point. Completely level playing field coming though as I have data now with the exact same tuner package loaded into BH&H II. 

(And regarding mouse view fluidity with VonS tuner and BH&H II  - better, though still an issue relatively speaking -- but improved. I know I will eventually have to workshop settings down and play around (or just live with it as it is, idk yet)).

Thank you for your interest. :)

Edited by redwolf

Thanks redwolf. I can't think of anything particularly that could affect that - maybe something else has since been changed or updated on the system that is interfering.  Try to look through any recent programs or other changes (possibly a windows update recently that may be doing that.

Ya, idk either. But I literally went from a perfectly working virtual with PE, uninstalled, installed BH&H II and it has been that way ever since - nothing installed in the intermediary at all. It is really odd. Pans perfectly with hat. Then switch to virtual cockpit and it is an entirely different matter. Anyway, even lowering stock and workshop terrain items down to 2 still causes issues - I just can't get away with stock and have a nicely running virtual cockpit. BTW, through a lot of trial and error, I found that Panama Red's SI mod does the best to mitigate the issue (whatever tuning it precisely does helps the most) and it is a lot better than any stock setting regarding virtual fluidity  (plus bonus gives a fair bit of a FPS boost as well) - though it still isn't quite the way it used to be with PE (but I can live with it now -- btw running PR SI (Quality) with terrain settings now upped to 4 (was the best overall combo for the situation and my system to date).

Edited by redwolf

I can report the same issue as Redwolf with the sluggish mouse look response. It's a little like moving around in mud. I've also noticed my TrackIR tracking speed is slower. I can easily adjust that in the settings, but I thought I should let people know that Redwolf isn't the only one experiencing this problem, minor as it may be.

My system is definitely not top of the line, with an i-5 3.5 G processor and a Nvidia 1050Ti card. No mods, other than PR's BT mod. My system is overclocked to 4.2 Gigs, but if I go back to stock I have trouble playing after mid 1917. Mouse and TrackIR settings unchanged from WOFF PE.

There's no change in mouse look code or Trackir at all for BH&H II (in fact for a long time) something else must be going on. Different GPU settings applied etc?

Edited by Polovski

Thanks for answering, Pol.

Changes in my graphics settings are possible, due to a driver update from NVidia. I will look into it and report back. Otherwise, my frame rates appear smoother with BHaH2 with less stutter, so excellent work overall.

Thanks BB,  yeah could be Anti Aliasing, or something like that, Maybe worth looking at all things, pre rendered frames, vsync etc

If you have an Nvidia profile make sure it's for cfs3.exe not WOFF.exe.

Did this problem go away for anyone? I've only just bought the game, I'm on patch 1.37 and the hat panning is super smooth and beautiful (but I cannot fly using a joy stick hat to look) whereas the mouse panning is super jerky and awful, like I might have a fit if I used it. It's definitely not a graphics settings issue as everything else (including panning with the joystick hat) is super smooth on highest settings) . I have 32GB of Ram and 11GB of card memory, plus a relatively decent system, everything working off SSDs.  Was this query taken up in any other threads anywhere? Any progress? Sorry to raise it again. 

It CAN be graphic settings as the POV and Mouse use entirely different code.  The Mouse look is an extra - built into the DirectX 9 shaders by Ank0r.  You can try adjusting the speed in d3d8.ini in ...\WOFF\WOFFScenery\Shaders  where there are mouselook settings - which could indirectly affect smoothness.  There is also zoom smoothness there, but I am not sure if it would also affect panning.

BTW we highly recommend TrackIR or compatible Head Tracking devices to get the best out of WOFF.

Edited by Polovski

Thanks! It could be that, yes, but I've tested minimum settings etc and it's not. Besides, the mouse panning is extremely smooth at 12x speed! Odd, eh? But anyway, I can live with it. Great game. Superb dogfights with really surprising AI. Thanks.