Sign in to follow this  
RIBob

Upgraded My Dell XPS 8930

Currently  32 Gb RAM installed (64Gb possible), 2 x 1Tb SSDs, Intel I7 8700 (Locked) CPU, and Gigabyte 2060 OC (Factory Overclocked) Pro Gfx card.  PSU is a Seasonics fanless 600W unit, with fully modular connections.  High-end DVD/CD R/W drive installed for legacy games that require DVDs. Computer is hard-wired to internet and printer.  No wireless/bluetooth.

Based on considerable research, am doing the following:

Upgrading with Dell Alienware 95W CPU cooler, Intel I9 9900K (Unlocked) CPU, upgraded top fan from 70mm to 120mm (which vents both top of case and fan-fed radiator from CPU cooler), and adding two front 120mm fans (with intake filters) powered by PSU.  Top case fan and CPU fan are 4-pin units, so fan speed is controlled by Mo-Bo.  Front fans are 3-pin units which blow at constant speed, and come with accessory cables which can tailor their speed/noise, if desired.

Might add another SSD for backup purposes.  I propose to periodically clone Master, Boot Drive onto secondary SSD drive for backup purposes.  Even using internal, fast SATA MoBo connections, might take overnight, but who cares?

Purpose is to play High-End flight sims, using TrackIR, and using Current Dell Monitor; HD with 120Hz refresh rate, both Gsynch and Vsynch compatible.  New Monitor is a possibility, and will investigate 4K options.

From what I hear, this will work quite well.

Constructive comments welcome!

Update:  Did not install top case fan due to space issues.  Had to install included "Silencer" cable on added lower case fan which is powered directly by modular PSU.  It ran at full speed without the included accessory cable, and was extremely noisy.

Project a complete success.  Updated computer using Nvidia site, Dell, Intel, and Microsoft sites.  Thing runs sweet.  I'll run some more tests and see if the I9 is a bottleneck, as was the I7.  If so, will overclock it, safely.