Eagle114th

New aircraft sorting list for Aircraft selection (Menu)

Hello everyone,

It has been a hectic week for me. I am still working on new SF2 menu project slowly.  At the same time, since I got a new external SSD as an alternative storage for my external HDD.  1 TB external is affordable now.  To my surprise, it is small and doesn't even require me to plug into power outlet, unlike an external HDD. I could just hook it into my gaming laptop's USB 3.1 T Type-C.  Oh boy, it made a huge difference. I am able to load SF2 much faster now. 

I just wiped my old SF2 multi-installation, in order, to have a fresh start with SF2.  I spent weeks installing many mods for SF2, in order, to make up for my lost SF2 files.

I decided to work on aircraft sorting list for my preference ways of sorting the list by nation first, then aircraft.  I started with default SF2.  (Note: I bought SF2 complete Edition since it is on sale.  It is a perfect time to get it before the time runs out.) 

Here is what default list looks like:

Now with a new sorting list (by nation), it looks like this:
NOTE: When you see [Export], it means it have a multi nations skins included.  

I am very pleased with this.  With the new sorting list, I am able to quickly tell which nation specific aircraft belong to. It has been an educational day for me about the nations and aircraft versions.  If anyone wants this, I could post it in combatace download section.  I modified All the aircraft .ini in a clean SF2 (Without mods).  That way anyone can build the mods on it. I am still brainstorming about what to do with [Export] tag.  Should I replace it with '*" or any certain symbols to the end of the aircraft name?  Feedback are appreciated, as always.

Plus, I also can add updated HUDDATA.ini with both RWR and RADAR being included on upper right corner. I modified it this way, so I can easily scan my eyes between both RWR and Radar while padlocking around.  (Note: Either RWR / Radar will only show up if aircraft have either.  For example, if you fly aircraft that doesn't have either RWR or Radar, it won't show up on the screen.

Edited by Eagle114th
  • Like 1

I am thinking about changing two things:

------------------------------------------------------------------

1) I could replace [Export] with a symbol '»' (Shows up as '>>').  That way it won't be a sore eye when looking at aircraft name?

For example, in a screenshot above, you see (VVS) Il-2 1946 "Beagle" [Export],

I could change it to:

(VVS) Il-28 "Beagle" » 

2) Changing aircraft that is operated by both USN and USMC.  For now, it shows up in the list as (USN / USMC), I could change it this way:

(USN) F-4J Phantom II »

That way you know that the aircraft is operated by both USN and USMC.

Here is a list of symbols:

https://fsymbols.com/keyboard/windows/alt-codes/list/

If any of you have a better idea of which symbol to use, please post here.

Edited by Eagle114th

Those of us that have (literally) spent a lifetime studying aircraft, already know "who has what". And we know "where" the aircraft are on the list because it's alphabetical by name.  Easier to look for an aircraft name -which is far better known-, then the country. 

------

For the in game screens, why not have them on opposite upper corners? keeps things at "eye line", radar t the left, rwr to the right

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Hi Eagle,

me too, i think the selection menue deserves some reflection and a lift-up. I would appreciate a way to get rid of the clutter in the aircraft selection menue. over time there are so many aircraft and subtypes of an aircraft that it becomes a real pein to scroll through all of them to get to the one aircraft you want to fly. Is there a way sub-divide the selection menue: select aircraft-type first (i.e. MiG-21), and select the variant in a second step (i.e. MiG-21MF or -bis ...) ?

btw i really doubt the usefullness of, let us say, some 20 sub-variants of the spitfire. there is certainly some reason behind differentiating between major subtypes, but the game engine simply does not support minor modifications. The SF-series is not a simulator-type of game like DCS or the IL2-Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad-series.

cheers

sokol

• Like 2

Nice work. The catalogisation can bring a lot of fun! Dont forget to back up your work to not to be overwriten once upon a time with default ini files.

But as to me the stock menue is ideal! :D

• Like 2

Pfffffff,

What a chore to do! And I think it makes choice more difficult.

But to each his own, it in fact is cool that we/you can adjust the game to your own liking!

So, enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

A few thoughts:

a) I prefer the USN/USMC approach

b) I think you're onto something.

c) Yes, I know an F-15I is a Strike Eagle for Israel, a Su-30MKI is a Su-30 for India but this is a helpful list.

d) I DM'd you about how to run SF2 off of an external SSD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sokol said:

Is there a way sub-divide the selection menue: select aircraft-type first (i.e. MiG-21), and select the variant in a second step (i.e. MiG-21MF or -bis ...) ?

Nothing like that is possible; each menu screen uses a specific dll library which contains just the needed functions, and that one you mention simply does not exist.

I had already thought about what you suggested, it would be very clever to select subtypes and year improvements in a separate list. Unless we get a source code from TK himself, this is just a dream.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wrench said:

Those of us that have (literally) spent a lifetime studying aircraft, already know "who has what". And we know "where" the aircraft are on the list because it's alphabetical by name.  Easier to look for an aircraft name -which is far better known-, then the country. 

------

For the in game screens, why not have them on opposite upper corners? keeps things at "eye line", radar t the left, rwr to the right

Thank you for the feedback.  That is understandable that there are a group of people already are familiar with many of aircraft, as you stated.  However, at the same time, there are also the group of people, including me who are not familiar with many variants of each aircraft.  Hence, is why I made this mod.

I always wished that Thirdwire would add the filter system to the aircraft list, so we could customize the way we view the list (By Country / nation, Type / name of aircraft, etc...).  But since it is not yet implemented, I decided to roll my sleeves and start modding all aircraft name in the list. 

To my amaze, after grouping aircraft by nation, it is quite educational way of viewing the list of aircraft.  At the same time, it is more fun to view the list this way too.  If it could do the same to other, then great!  

By the way, about in-game screen (Radar + RWR), I have reason why I group both in the upper right corner:

My limited vision.  What I have is known as Usher Syndrome.  That is why I am deaf with a low vision.  This is what my vision looks similar to:

retinitis_pigmentosa2-1536x621.png

I have a tunnel vision with a good center visibility.  (Which means I can look at the monitor from close-by to far distance.)  In order, to see the surrounding situation, I scan my vision everywhere, including the monitor for the games and simulations.

I usually use a limited sized monitor, so I can scan around the monitor less frequently.  As stated above, I have a good center vision, so my head is not that far from the monitor.  The larger monitor is, the more I have to scan around it with my tunnel vision.  I am currently using 23" inches monitor as my maximum  size.

I have been flying simulations since the 1990s and I always use the symbols / text around the target in various simulations / games, in order, to assist me in spotting them.  Now with the way I learn about modding SF2 through .ini dancing, it is a huge relief for me to be able to see both RWR / RADAR this way too. 

And why do I share it here?  That way if anyone could benefit from this too, then great! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sokol said:

Hi Eagle,

me too, i think the selection menue deserves some reflection and a lift-up. I would appreciate a way to get rid of the clutter in the aircraft selection menue. over time there are so many aircraft and subtypes of an aircraft that it becomes a real pein to scroll through all of them to get to the one aircraft you want to fly. Is there a way sub-divide the selection menue: select aircraft-type first (i.e. MiG-21), and select the variant in a second step (i.e. MiG-21MF or -bis ...) ?

btw i really doubt the usefullness of, let us say, some 20 sub-variants of the spitfire. there is certainly some reason behind differentiating between major subtypes, but the game engine simply does not support minor modifications. The SF-series is not a simulator-type of game like DCS or the IL2-Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad-series.

cheers

sokol

Yes that is understandable about the desires for SF2 to have the filter system for viewing the aircraft list.  It would be great if TK could add feature like this, especially making it moddable too. 

4 hours ago, bazillius said:

Nice work. The catalogisation can bring a lot of fun! Dont forget to back up your work to not to be overwriten once upon a time with default ini files.

But as to me the stock menue is ideal! :D

Thank you very much!  You inspired me to do even more works on this mod.   I will release the mod with multi versions.   So people can choose the version they prefer. 

4 hours ago, Muesli said:

Pfffffff,

What a chore to do! And I think it makes choice more difficult.

But to each his own, it in fact is cool that we/you can adjust the game to your own liking!

So, enjoy!

It is not a chore to me, I do it with my passions into modding SF2.  I am merely sharing what I love to do with this community.  Your feedback is still appreciated. 

Edited by Eagle114th

3 hours ago, JosefK said:

A few thoughts:

a) I prefer the USN/USMC approach

b) I think you're onto something.

c) Yes, I know an F-15I is a Strike Eagle for Israel, a Su-30MKI is a Su-30 for India but this is a helpful list.

d) I DM'd you about how to run SF2 off of an external SSD.

A) Thank you! I will make two versions.  For the first one, I will keep USN / USMC.  For a second version, I will do it a bit differently. I will post the update here as soon I finish working on it. 

B) Yes, sir!  I will keep working on it.  You inspired me to work on this mod project even more happily. 

C) I am happy that it is helpful to you.  I aim to finish the mod, so the community can enjoy this mod.

D) I repiled your DM.  :)

3 hours ago, Menrva said:

Nothing like that is possible; each menu screen uses a specific dll library which contains just the needed functions, and that one you mention simply does not exist.

I had already thought about what you suggested, it would be very clever to select subtypes and year improvements in a separate list. Unless we get a source code from TK himself, this is just a dream.

Yes I agree with you. I hope that TK would add the moddable filter system to the aircraft list on menu someday.  

Edited by Eagle114th
  • Like 1

I looked to the last picture. If I see IL-28 (export) how do I know on spot where is it from ? Let's say I am in Middle East terrain. How do I know if it's Syrian, Egyptian or Iraqian ? Maybe its decals are telling me nothing or maybe I don't know the symbols and color of different nations encapsulated in a paintjob etc. It's practical and easier if you name them by countries (Il-28 (Iraq) ) I would know on spot where  it is from, right ? That's the way I named my files in folders. I know at a short glance where are they from, all of them.

• Like 1

I fully understand vision loss!!

My right eye started "coming apart" in late 2012. The layers of the cornea started seperating ("recurent cornea erosions") sort of like a CD/DVD de-laminating, or tire treads seperating. The pain was so intense, it felt like a railroad spike was being driven into my head, with constant tearing. So much so, I though I would dehydrate! AND....I'm the only driver for several people (wife, mom)  After multiple lazic procedure to try and smooth it out -- which only worked temporarily, they did a partial corneal transplant, only on the region effected. They go in, suck out the layers of detached cells, implant donors, put an air bubble inside the cornea to help them bond. (oh, and btw, like cataract surgery --which I also had on that eye due to steroid crystilazation of the lens, you're awake through the whole things. watching from the inside. freaky man, i'm telling ya). Several more lazics were preformed, as the central area of the cornea dropped, instead of rebounding (the scans the Dr. showed me looks like a coral atoll, with central lagoon - the low spots

But still, because the first opthalmalgist gave me wrong instructions for the post-op steroid drops, my eye pressures skyrocketed into the high 50s (10-15 is considered normal). This forces the eye back into the skull, pressing on the optic nerve. Thus, damaging the optic nerve, and costing me about 1/3 of my field of vision due to nerve death. That "blind spot" is in the upper left quadrant.

Finally, in 2017 I was able to be treated with PROSE full scleral contact lenses (for that that don't know, they sit out on the white part of the eye, NOT on the colored cornea like regular lenses). This, at least gives me better vision, but not perfect in that eye. That'll never come back. 

so, I can feel you, man

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am really sorry to hear that you, both had and have such problems with your vision.  And I , who  thought, that going through a rhynopharinx cancer, it can't be worse than that. As a person who brushed with death and met the suffering, on both levels, I can sympathize with you guys. The vision is the most important sense of a human being and I bet it can ruin quickly one's morale if  strong will is not present in that person.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, UllyB said:

I looked to the last picture. If I see IL-28 (export) how do I know on spot where is it from ? Let's say I am in Middle East terrain. How do I know if it's Syrian, Egyptian or Iraqian ? Maybe its decals are telling me nothing or maybe I don't know the symbols and color of different nations encapsulated in a paintjob etc. It's practical and easier if you name them by countries (Il-28 (Iraq) ) I would know on spot where  it is from, right ? That's the way I named my files in folders. I know at a short glance where are they from, all of them.

Thank you for the feedback, unfortunately, the way SF2 is coded, it is not yet possible to 'tag' aircraft by the specific country / nation dynamically.  However, I figured a way to make it less sore eye.  I am changing the format.  Instead of seeing [Export], you will see small '>>' symbol. 

However, for now, let's just see it as this way:

If you fly in a Middle East, as you stated, and you see (VVS) Il-2 1946 >>, then you know that the aircraft is from Soviet / Russia and you can look at the decal to identity which nation is operating as an exported aircraft.

By the way, to make the aircraft list more simple, I am adding two symbols:

- For any aircraft that have skins that covers multi branch (For example: USN aircraft that have skins for USMC), will have a symbol '>'.  
- For any aircraft that have skins that covers multi nations, will have the symbol ">>'
- For any aircraft that have skins that covers both multi branchs and nations, will have the symbols '>>>'

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wrench said:

I fully understand vision loss!!

My right eye started "coming apart" in late 2012. The layers of the cornea started seperating ("recurent cornea erosions") sort of like a CD/DVD de-laminating, or tire treads seperating. The pain was so intense, it felt like a railroad spike was being driven into my head, with constant tearing. So much so, I though I would dehydrate! AND....I'm the only driver for several people (wife, mom)  After multiple lazic procedure to try and smooth it out -- which only worked temporarily, they did a partial corneal transplant, only on the region effected. They go in, suck out the layers of detached cells, implant donors, put an air bubble inside the cornea to help them bond. (oh, and btw, like cataract surgery --which I also had on that eye due to steroid crystilazation of the lens, you're awake through the whole things. watching from the inside. freaky man, i'm telling ya). Several more lazics were preformed, as the central area of the cornea dropped, instead of rebounding (the scans the Dr. showed me looks like a coral atoll, with central lagoon - the low spots

But still, because the first opthalmalgist gave me wrong instructions for the post-op steroid drops, my eye pressures skyrocketed into the high 50s (10-15 is considered normal). This forces the eye back into the skull, pressing on the optic nerve. Thus, damaging the optic nerve, and costing me about 1/3 of my field of vision due to nerve death. That "blind spot" is in the upper left quadrant.

Finally, in 2017 I was able to be treated with PROSE full scleral contact lenses (for that that don't know, they sit out on the white part of the eye, NOT on the colored cornea like regular lenses). This, at least gives me better vision, but not perfect in that eye. That'll never come back. 

so, I can feel you, man

Holy moly! You have gone through a lot.  Thank you for sharing.  A big respect to you too.

If you would like an alternative version with the different location of RWR / RADAR on the screen, let me know. I am more than happy to do it for you and other who want or needs it.  The more options this mod have, the merrier.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UllyB said:

I am really sorry to hear that you, both had and have such problems with your vision.  And I , who  thought, that going through a rhynopharinx cancer, it can't be worse than that. As a person who brushed with death and met the suffering, on both levels, I can sympathize with you guys. The vision is the most important sense of a human being and I bet it can ruin quickly one's morale if  strong will is not present in that person.

Sir, thank you for sharing your stories.  A big respect to you too.

• Thanks 1

I understand. Well your project is, from start, ambitious, I give you that. If I were you, except everything else, that looks cool if you ask me, I would skip the country notation thing pinned with every price on the menu. You are complicate yourself here I think. But it's just my opinion, you don't have to stumble in it, honestly. Sometimes when you have an idea and you talk to people, you can get a spark which will spawn better things in your path. As you build something you have to stick with the bigger picture ("why am I creating this thing for?") and NOT to let yourself overwhelmed by the exciting , multiple possibilities spontaneous occured, meaning that you have to manage/focus to the menu elements, trying in the same time, if possible, not to mix them with "field" elements, if you know what I mean. It's is true, the SF2 structure leaves you little room to maneuver here and between. But judging from what I saw so far, I think you are on the right path. Good luck!

Edited by UllyB
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, UllyB said:

I understand. Well your project is, from start, ambitious, I give you that. If I were you, except everything else, that looks cool if you ask me, I would skip the country notation thing pinned with every price on the menu. You are complicate yourself here I think. But it's just my opinion, you don't have to stumble in it, honestly. Sometimes when you have an idea and you talk to people, you can get a spark which will spawn better things in your path. As you build something you have to stick with the bigger picture ("why am I creating this thing for?") and NOT to let yourself overwhelmed by the exciting , multiple possibilities spontaneous occured, meaning that you have to manage/focus to the menu elements, trying in the same time, if possible, not to mix them with "field" elements, if you know what I mean. It's is true, the SF2 structure leaves you little room to maneuver here and between. But judging from what I saw so far, I think you are on the right path. Good luck!

I sincerely appreciate your concerns.  You absolutely have a good reason for it.  This is why I am doing it in a small step first and see what community likes.  I will make sure not to get overwhelmed with the projects.

To be honest, I was doing it for myself at first, since I wanted to have aircraft list being grouped by nations / countries.  Seeing how this community share what they create for themselves too, hence here am I. 

For now, I am only doing it for a clean SF2 installation, so anyone who want to start over with SF2 installation can use this mod.  Small steps a time.  At once when I am done with both SF2 new Menu / GUI and aircraft sorting list mod, I will see if I can go further with both mods.  There are so many projects ideas I want to do for SF2. I didn't have the time nor the courage to create mods a long time ago.  But now, I want to take an opportunity to see if I could achieve it, after having accomplished many things in my life. 

49 minutes ago, Eagle114th said:

I didn't have the time nor the courage to create mods a long time ago.  But now, I want to take an opportunity to see if I could achieve it, after having accomplished many things in my life. 

That's the spirit!

Me too, in the beginning I thought that I will never rise to the challenge and that I will never be able to create something worth it here around. But having the chance to know better, as years passed by, this wonderful CombatAce community I realized that nothing it's impossible if you put your mind to it and today I brought here a plane,  and soon I'll bring another one, the YAK-130. You have to believe in yourself and take what is good from the others even if they can be harsh with you, sometimes, when you are doing something wrong.

Edited by UllyB
  • Thanks 1

Crusader did a mod for the RWR that has it sitting in the upper right corner, so I was kind of referring to that.

I think this is the statement for that, in the HUDData ini:

[Display006]
DisplayType=RWR
PosX=0.01
PosY=0.015
Width=0.125
Height=0.16666667
Alpha=0.60
InitTime=2.0

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UllyB said:

That's the spirit!

Me too, in the beginning I thought that I will never rise to the challenge and that I will never be able to create something worth it here around. But having the chance to know better, as years passed by, this wonderful CombatAce community I realize that nothing it's impossible if you put your mind to it and today I brought here a plane,  and soon I'll bring another one, the YAK-130. You have to believe in yourself and take what is good from the others even if they can be harsh with you, sometimes, when you are doing something wrong.

Sir, you inspired me to keep going on with the projects too.  I shall have both projects done, so the community can enjoy it.  I look forward to flying YAK-130, as soon you release it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrench said:

Crusader did a mod for the RWR that has it sitting in the upper right corner, so I was kind of referring to that.

I think this is the statement for that, in the HUDData ini:

[Display006]
DisplayType=RWR
PosX=0.01
PosY=0.015
Width=0.125
Height=0.16666667
Alpha=0.60
InitTime=2.0

Sir, thank you for the information. I am thinking I could make a multi-version of HUDData.ini for this mod.  That way people can select which one they prefer the most.  I could make it this way:

- RWR / RADAR on upper right corner
- RWR / RADAR on upper left corner
- RWR on upper left / Radar on upper right
- Radar on upper left / RWR on upper right

• Like 1

Hello everyone, 

I have created three versions of aircraft sorting list for SF2 clean installation. Please note, I am using the symbol '>" at the end of the aircraft name to tell you if the aircraft contains the skin for another branch or nation.

NOTE: (Nation) tag before aircraft name is directly based on what is coded in _DATA.ini.  For example, A-4A is tagged as "USN" as nation in DATA, hence I tagged A-4A as (USN) instead of USMC.  

'>' = For aircraft that have skins for another branches
'>>' = For aircraft that have skins for another nations
'>>>' = For aircraft that have skins for another branches AND nations.

For example,  (USN) A-4A have a skin for USMC, hence it shows up as:

(USN) A-4A Skyhawk >

Il-28 "Beagle" have skin for other nations, it shows up as:
(VVS) IL-28 "Beagle" >>

(USN) A-7E Corsair II have the skins for another branches AND nations, it shows up as:
(USN) A-7E Corsair II >>>

Here are each versions of Aircraft list designed as:

Version #1 - There are tags for a multi-branches.  For example (USN / USMC) and (RN / RAF). it have '>>' tag only for aircraft with another nation skins.

Version-1

Version #2 - Uses '>', '>>', and '>>>' for aircraft that have skins for another branches and/or nations.

Version-2

Version #3 - A copy of version #2 with simplified years.  Instead of using [Year], it uses 'year (last two decimals) 

Version-3

Here are screenshots with new aircraft sorted list:

Screen1

Screen2

• Like 1