Sign in to follow this  
Eagle114th

Location of weapons .ini files (CAT Extract) Questions

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the location of weapons .ini files.  I have been looking for it using CAT extractor.  I am unable to find the .ini files for the weapons in SF2.  May I ask if anyone know where I can find it?

If someone knows which weapons pack is up-to-date and is released for SF2, please let me know too.  I will contact author about tweaking their .ini for weapons, respectfully.  If the permission is approved, I will start .ini dancing through a long list of weapons.

The information and advice are much appreciated, as always.  I am still looking for files again in SF2. 

I am working on the project that sorts the weapon list like I did with the aircraft list.

Cheers!

Edited by Eagle114th

6 hours ago, ravenclaw_007 said:

Folder ObjectData001 , WEAPONDATA.ini

Sir, thank you very much!  I am going to roll my sleeves again and start working on this project. 

By the way, I am a fan of your weapon pack series work.  I found it recently on this forum.  It looks great!

I have a problem with the updated Weapondata.ini.  After finishing editing and renaming all weapons in weapondata.ini, I moved both weaponsdata.ini / DAT files to SF2 -> Objects -> Weapons -> Weapondata and started SF2.  It appears that not all ordinance name is updated in SF2 yet, only a few.  Here is screenshot

img00002

Notice that only a few weapons with new names show up while the rest still show an original name. 

For example, for AIM-7E Sparrow, I renamed it as:

(AAM) AIM-7E Sparrow (SARH) and it still shows up as AIM-7E Sparrow.  Am I doing something else wrong? 

[WeaponData028]
TypeName=AIM-7E-4
FullName=(AAM) AIM-7E-4 Sparrow (SARH)
ModelName=aim-7e
Mass=193.690002
Diameter=0.200000
Length=3.670300
SubsonicDragCoeff=0.440000
SupersonicDragCoeff=0.615000
AttachmentType=USN
SpecificStationCode=
NationName=USN
StartYear=1974
EndYear=1980
Availability=2
BaseQuantity=6
Exported=TRUE
ExportStartYear=1974
ExportEndYear=0
ExportAvailability=2
WeaponDataType=1
RailLaunched=FALSE
RocketPod=FALSE
Retarded=FALSE
FinStabilized=TRUE
SpinStabilized=FALSE
HasGrowl=FALSE
EffectClassName=MediumMissileEffects
ReleaseDelay=0.200000
WarheadType=0
Explosives=30.000000
FusingDistance=2.000000
ClusterBomblets=0
ClusterDispersion=0.000000
GuidanceType=12
Accuracy=60
MaxTurnRate=15.000000
MaxLaunchG=5.000000
LockonChance=80
LaunchReliability=75
ArmingTime=1.000000
SeekerFOV=5.000000
SeekerGimbleLimit=46.000000
SeekerTrackRate=16.000000
SeekerRange=28000.000000
CLmax=14.000000
MinFreq=0.000000
MaxFreq=0.000000
MinLaunchRange=500.000000
MaxLaunchRange=28000.000000
Duration=70.000000
CounterCountermeasure=70.000000
NoiseRejection=30.000000
CapabilityFlags=0x00000008
LoftAngle=0.000000
DescentAngle=0.000000
MaxLoftAltitude=0.000000
BoosterStart=0.500000
BoosterDuration=2.800000
BoosterAccel=21.600000
BoosterEffectName=MissileFireEffect
BoosterSoundName=Missile
BoosterNodeName=
BoosterPosition=0.000000,-1.835150,0.000000
SustainerDuration=0.000000
SustainerAccel=0.000000
SustainerEffectName=
SustainerSoundName=
SustainerPosition=0.000000,-1.835150,0.000000
InFlightEffectName=MissileInFlightEffect
InFlightSoundName=
ReleaseAnimationID=-1
EODisplayFlags=0
CEP=0.000000

Edited by Eagle114th

This "new" system may not work due to how the cat file system works. 

You'll probably have to make a folder for every single weapons listed. Inside that, you'll need all new inis and data inis for every single weapon (including stock ones) with this "new" naming system.

Typename= would probably stay the same, as that's what's being read by the loadout ini (of each and every single aircraft -- pray that you don't have to edit them, as well). The FullName=, as you know, and have editied, is what's seen on the loadout screen. It should work as you wish

BTW, editing the weaponsdata ini hasn't been needed since SF2 came out. You folderize all the new weapons and place them in the /Objects/Weapons folder. It's been a 'drag and drop' since day1. Hence, what I'm thinking that you have to do the whole thing from scratch, individually folderized.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wrench said:

This "new" system may not work due to how the cat file system works. 

You'll probably have to make a folder for every single weapons listed. Inside that, you'll need all new inis and data inis for every single weapon (including stock ones) with this "new" naming system.

Typename= would probably stay the same, as that's what's being read by the loadout ini (of each and every single aircraft -- pray that you don't have to edit them, as well). The FullName=, as you know, and have editied, is what's seen on the loadout screen. It should work as you wish

BTW, editing the weaponsdata ini hasn't been needed since SF2 came out. You folderize all the new weapons and place them in the /Objects/Weapons folder. It's been a 'drag and drop' since day1. Hence, what I'm thinking that you have to do the whole thing from scratch, individually folderized.

Understood, your advice is much appreciated. 

I will do this way.  I will do a few experiments with the AIM-9s and AIM-7s family first.  Then see how it goes. If it all works out very well, then I will go this way.

Cheers!

• Like 1

GOOD NEWS!  Looks like it is working! I was renaming all AIM-9s family in SF2 in a method as Wrench explained.  I am able to display all AIM-9s updated names!

img00004

• Like 1

It appears that there is probably a bug with Mk.20 Rockeye II.  I renamed Mk.20 Rockeye II, it made two names with and without new names at the same time.  I did double-checked everything and still is confused by this.  Another ordinance works successfully though.  Can anyone test and see if anyone experiences the same problem with Rockeye II?

I placed the following three files into MK20_ROCKEYE_II folder in Weapons folder (SF2):

MK20_ROCKEYE_II.INI
MK20_ROCKEYE_II_DATA.INI
ROCKEYE.BMP

MK20_ROCKEYE_II.INI CODES:

[WeaponData]
ObjectDataFile=MK20_ROCKEYE_II_DATA.INI

[LOD001]
Filename=rockeye.lod
Distance=100

[LOD002]
Filename=rockeye_LOD2.lod
Distance=250

[LOD003]
Filename=rockeye_LOD3.lod
Distance=1000

[Shadow]
CastShadow=TRUE
ShadowCastDist=10000
MaxVisibleDistance=100

MK20_ROCKEYE_II_DATA.INI codes:

[WeaponData001]
TypeName=Rockeye
FullName=(CBU) Mk.20 Rockeye II
ModelName=rockeye
Mass=216.000000
Diameter=0.332000
Length=2.337000
SubsonicDragCoeff=0.224000
SupersonicDragCoeff=0.788000
AttachmentType=NATO
SpecificStationCode=
NationName=USAF
StartYear=1968
EndYear=1996
Availability=2
BaseQuantity=12
Exported=TRUE
ExportStartYear=1968
ExportEndYear=1996
ExportAvailability=2
WeaponDataType=0
RailLaunched=FALSE
Retarded=FALSE
FinStabilized=TRUE
SpinStabilized=FALSE
EffectClassName=ClusterBombEffects
DragAreaMultiplier=1.000000
WarheadType=9
Explosives=100.000000
FusingDistance=100.000000
ClusterBomblets=50
ClusterDispersion=0.500000
GuidanceType=0
Accuracy=0
MaxTurnRate=0.000000
MaxLaunchG=0.000000
LockonChance=0
LaunchReliability=0
ArmingTime=0.000000
SeekerFOV=0.000000
SeekerGimbleLimit=0.000000
SeekerTrackRate=0.000000
SeekerRange=0.000000
LiftDragRatio=4.000000
ReleaseAnimationID=1
ReleaseAnimationTime=0.200000
ReleaseAnimationDelay=0.100000
EODisplayFlags=0
CEP=20.000000

Here is a screenshot with the strange bugs with Mk.20 Rockeye II:

img00003

1 hour ago, Eagle114th said:

I placed the following three files into MK20_ROCKEYE_II folder in Weapons folder (SF2):

Why? The Rockeye is a stock weapon. By doing what you did, you actually created another copy of the weapon, and you modified this copy, not the original weapon.

If your plan is to rename all stock weapons, your Weapons folder must be clean, you must edit only the WeaponData.ini file. Any other weapon subfolders you add may create additional, unwanted copies of stock weapons

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Menrva said:

Why? The Rockeye is a stock weapon. By doing what you did, you actually created another copy of the weapon, and you modified this copy, not the original weapon.

If your plan is to rename all stock weapons, your Weapons folder must be clean, you must edit only the WeaponData.ini file. Any other weapon subfolders you add may create additional, unwanted copies of stock weapons

I see, your advice is appreciated too.  Just for clarifying, weapondata.ini and .dat goes to this directory:

SF2 folder -> Objects -> Weapons -> Weapondata

Right? 

This is opportunities for me to learn more about how SF2 works, that way I can edit both weapondata.ini and making new folders for the proper situations. 

Edited by Eagle114th

the .dat file is also no longer used

your pathway should be:

Objects --> Weapons --> Folder-name-of-weapon --> name-of-weapon.ini, name-of-weapon_data.ini. Also including any skins or lods, if aftermarket units. (exempt are cloned stock weapons, that reference 3W lods)

Do you know the format for the folderized _data ini???

example:

[WeaponData001]                      <-----THIS IS REQUIRED!!!
TypeName=B25RocketRack
FullName=B-25/PBJ Rocket Stubs
ModelName=P-51Rkt_Rack
Mass=20.000000
Diameter=0.000000
Length=0.866000
SubsonicDragCoeff=0.200000
SupersonicDragCoeff=0.770000
AttachmentType=USAF
SpecificStationCode=
NationName=USN,USMC,USAF
StartYear=1943
EndYear=1959
Availability=2
BaseQuantity=10
Exported=TRUE
ExportStartYear=1943
ExportEndYear=1960
ExportAvailability=1
WeaponDataType=2
RailLaunched=FALSE
RocketTypeName=HVAR5
NumRockets=1
ROF=0.000000
FireEffectName=RocketPodEffect
FireEffectTime=0.150000
FrontCoverNodeName=
RearCoverNodeName=
ShowRockets=TRUE
Rocket01Position=0.000000,0.000000,-0.150000

just making sure :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wrench said:

the .dat file is also no longer used

your pathway should be:

Objects --> Weapons --> Folder-name-of-weapon --> name-of-weapon.ini, name-of-weapon_data.ini. Also including any skins or lods, if aftermarket units. (exempt are cloned stock weapons, that reference 3W lods)

Do you know the format for the folderized _data ini???

example:

just making sure :)

Roger that, added it to my notes.

Cheers!

7 hours ago, Eagle114th said:

SF2 folder -> Objects -> Weapons -> Weapondata

Right? 

No. WeaponData.ini must be put simply inside the Weapons folder. That should be the only file in your Weapons folder, if you only want stock weapons with new names.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Menrva said:

No. WeaponData.ini must be put simply inside the Weapons folder. That should be the only file in your Weapons folder, if you only want stock weapons with new names.

I tried that with updated Weapondata.ini (All names are changed) and there are no changes occurring in SF2 yet.  Perhaps I should fly a mission and let SF2 'update' the text with new names from Weapondata.ini? I will run the further test again.

UPDATE:  This is strange.  If I put the folderized files in Weapons folder, it shows the changes in SF2 (With that buggy Mk.20 Rockeye II as mentioned above).  If I put only Weapondata.ini in, there are no changes occurring in SF2 yet. I must have been missing something.  I ran the tests with Weapondata.ini only by doing a quick mission and end it, no changes show up in loadout screen yet.

Edited by Eagle114th

That is happening because you only edited the .ini file, while the .dat file is still that of the original game, hence you get the original names. You must re-save the .dat file with TW's Weapon Editor.

The .ini file is just an interface for the Weapon Editor, the stock weapon data that is truly read by the game is held in the .dat file.

Edited by Menrva

1 hour ago, Menrva said:

That is happening because you only edited the .ini file, while the .dat file is still that of the original game, hence you get the original names. You must re-save the .dat file with TW's Weapon Editor.

The .ini file is just an interface for the Weapon Editor, the stock weapon data that is truly read by the game is held in the .dat file.

Menrva and Wrench,

I FINALLY DID IT.  I actually used TK weapon editor... OH BOY, I SHOULD HAVE used it earlier! (smacks my head on the desk).  THANK to you (Menrva) and Wrench for explaining how the system works in SF2.  The beauty of TK's Weapon Editor is that it automatically take care of everything I needed for it to do for me.  All I have to do is to edit all names from 'FULLNAME=" and use weapon editor to take care of the rest for me.  I will make sure to remember to use all tools available out there.

It is working beautifully in SF2 now!  Here are screenshot:

img00006

img00005