Sign in to follow this  
catch

Following waypoints at start of mission?

Admittedly I haven't tested this much (well, only once actually) but at the start of my first sortie (arty spotting in the Quirk, me as the new chap fresh from Suttons Farm) our flight seemed a little confused following the (unedited) TAC waypoints. We head off okay but then kind of wander around aimlessly apparently oblivious to the waypoints. Is this a height gaining mechanism or ....?  Anyway, being an impatient hero chap, I didn't hang around to find out just wanting to get to the action so I hit shift-w until the waypoint headed toward the front. Than all was ok 

Anyone else experiencing this? Is this just the way it is or did my impatience thwart the outcome?

It used to be (at least in some of the previous iterations) there was a period of time just after take-off where you had to fly circuits until everyone had taken off and managed to form up and begin the ascent towards operational height.  Not sure if that's still in the sim since I've only been doing the training prior to going up to the sharp pointy end and haven't done any flight/squadron flying yet.

Not sure that even helps lol, sorry!

Kind regards,

Dave

1 hour ago, catch said:

Anyone else experiencing this? Is this just the way it is or did my impatience thwart the outcome?

It's that bit of time after forming up is complete and as @Baldric says, the formation is climbing up to cruise altitude. Once the "forming up" portion is complete you can (even as a mere wingman) use [Shift] + [ W ] to send the formation to a down range waypoint and they will climb enroute. I do that ALL.THE.TIME.

• Like 1

Gaining height. Same in UE/PE

Gaining height is a circle up process and occurs if close to lines.

If far from lines (not very often) they will gain height en-route.

HTH

WM

Edited by Winder
  • Like 1

Ok thanks guys.

Soon as I've got past the form up bit I always send the flight onto it's next WP...