Eagle114th

Need advice on how to save .tga (for image files with transparent)

Hello everyone,

I need advice on .tga files. I have been having troubles with it.  I have been using a software known as GIMP 2.  Every time I want to save my graphic work, I save the image (with transparent background) as .tga file, SF2 does not recognize it.  

I tried another method by editing an existing SF2's tga file, for example "Arrow icon for scrolling up / down" by changing the color, then re-expoert it as .tga.  SF2 still does not recognize it. 

Can someone teach me or give me advice on how to properly save .tga with GIMP 2 or another free software? If you know any good free software, please let me know. 

I did exactly that and SF2 still won't recognize my .tga files. I am still figuring out what I am doing wrong. I made sure the file name are the same as what is typed in .ini files. 

However, if I use .bmp or .jpg, it will show up in SF2. 

Targa files require an Alpha layer to define the transparencies in the other layers. Does your image have an Alpha layer? If so export the image as shown above in the Guuru post. If not you will need to create one. Targa images (.tga files) are the only ones that store transparencies like this and they can be a pain in the backside.

1 hour ago, guuruu said:

tga1.jpg.013fba00911b1c982c3bfd088b5381a2.jpg

tga2.jpg.802827f7ea93448a5175ebfac9e4613a.jpg

tga3.jpg.2174bd3004ef81433f8e8bd0af94079c.jpg

Thank you for the advice.  I did exactly that and SF2 still won't recognize my .tga files. I am still figuring out what I am doing wrong. I made sure the file name are the same as what is typed in .ini files. 

However, if I use .bmp or .jpg, it will show up in SF2. 

Just now, Erik said:

Targa files require an Alpha layer to define the transparencies in the other layers. Does your image have an Alpha layer? If so export the image as shown above in the Guuru post. If not you will need to create one. Targa images (.tga files) are the only ones that store transparencies like this and they can be a pain in the backside.

This is interesting.  In order for it to work, I need an extra layer behind the shape? In other word, I will need two layers before exporting as .tga? 

Yes. You will need an alpha channel (layer) to save the file with a transparency.

• Like 1

Thank

38 minutes ago, Erik said:

Yes. You will need an alpha channel (layer) to save the file with a transparency.

Thank you for the video. I am still puzzled because it is still not showing up in SF2.  I attached my two .tga files that replaces scrollbar upper and down arrow icon.  May I ask you to check it if I am doing anything wrong with it?

Menu.rar

I'll look later today. In the meantime I'm sure someone will be around to help sooner so I'll check back when I have time to get back online.

E

2 minutes ago, Erik said:

I'll look later today. In the meantime I'm sure someone will be around to help sooner so I'll check back when I have time to get back online.

E

Understood.  I appreciate your helps.   I wish you a great day.

Cheers!

The only difference between your .tgas and Thirdwire's is size. Yours are 39x39 pixels, Thirdwire's are 32x32. I don't know if that's important, or not. I've tried yours in both the mods menu folder, and in the main menu folder, and they don't show up. It might be a size issue, if nothing else.

This is strange. I think GIMP 2 probably cause the issues. I opened one of SF2 default icon, changed the color then save it (export and overwrite).  It still won't show up in SF2.  I am still scratching my head over this.

Are those the stock files? 

12 hours ago, Eagle114th said:

This is strange. I think GIMP 2 probably cause the issues. I opened one of SF2 default icon, changed the color then save it (export and overwrite).  It still won't show up in SF2.  I am still scratching my head over this.

I create tgas to use as decals in Gimp 2.0 all the time, and never, ever, have problems with them not showing up, unless I have the path wrong, or misname them in an ini. There is something else going on here, not Gimp.

I do not why...but.

Obviously you are doing something wrong, despite the suggestions above.

I open your tga. save and it works...menu.rar

img00003.thumb.JPG.5b5feabc202d15c9389eb0e260a77603.JPG

you should not have dimensions of tga as 39x40....

39x39...or any other but equal...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, yakarov79 said:

I do not why...but.

Obviously you are doing something wrong, despite the suggestions above.

I open your tga. save and it works...menu.rar

img00003.thumb.JPG.5b5feabc202d15c9389eb0e260a77603.JPG

you should not have dimensions of tga as 39x40....

39x39...or any other but equal...

Thank you! May I ask you to explain in details how you edit and save the file? I am using GIMP 2 and I may have to reinstall GIMP 2 or use another free software for .tga.

exactly the same way as guuruu showed in 2nd post. I am using Gimp2 for years now. And this is the way.

• Like 1

this is the way..

(excepting I use photoshop. can't be any different, really, then making decals for aircraft)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, yakarov79 said:

exactly the same way as guuruu showed in 2nd post. I am using Gimp2 for years now. And this is the way.

That is noted. I am going to re-install GIMP 2 completely and try again. (Crosses my fingers)

6 hours ago, Wrench said:

this is the way..

(excepting I use photoshop. can't be any different, really, then making decals for aircraft)

That is noted as well.  Wish me good luck with the reinstallation of GIMP 2 and my attempts to make a custom .tga for SF2. 

• Like 1

Everyone, I FINALLY DID IT!!!

After reinstalling GIMP 2, I just realized something. I had "RLE compression" enabled each time I save .tga file all along. THIS is what caused .tga files not apearing in SF2.  Now that I am able to save the file while unchecking "RLE compression", my new .tga  icon / shapes shows up in SF2!  I am relieved now!

Thank you everyone!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

just reading this, but it is important to UNCHECK that particular box

i usually leave GIMP up and running so i can work projects when i can get time in. when it does close out (because i shut my sytem down going away or MS forces an update) its one of the first things i have to check on if it doesnt show up right

also when looking over youre folder of new tgas, if one of a series is much smaller than the others, open it and resave turning off RLE

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

just reading this, but it is important to UNCHECK that particular box

i usually leave GIMP up and running so i can work projects when i can get time in. when it does close out (because i shut my sytem down going away or MS forces an update) its one of the first things i have to check on if it doesnt show up right

also when looking over youre folder of new tgas, if one of a series is much smaller than the others, open it and resave turning off RLE

Noted, thank you for the advice. I make sure to keep that in mind. 

make  a transparent layer...add new layer create decal on it...when done export as tga uncheck compression and its sorted...works fine....

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, russouk2004 said:

make  a transparent layer...add new layer create decal on it...when done export as tga uncheck compression and its sorted...works fine....

Thank you for the advice.  As everyone, including you have taught me, ALWAYS make sure compression is unchecked.  That is the most important note that anyone who si new to modding TW sereis sim could easily miss.  

On 4/28/2021 at 1:38 PM, Heck said:

The only difference between your .tgas and Thirdwire's is size. Yours are 39x39 pixels, Thirdwire's are 32x32. I don't know if that's important, or not. I've tried yours in both the mods menu folder, and in the main menu folder, and they don't show up. It might be a size issue, if nothing else.

going back and rereading the thread. size does and doesnt matter in exporting your tga from gimp

it does matter just because of the file size going up in the bigger it is (examples in a moment)

it doesnt because you can play around plenty wtih the sizes. the DC-9 project i'm wrapping will be the example. i developed almost everything in 1024x1024. but thats a 4MB file size across 8 files, or 32MB per each airline, times 12 per skin. (now you see why my mods can get huge). I resized the bulk of them down to 512x512 if they had basic geometric patterns, to a 1MB size. but the ones with finer detail got reduced only to 768x768 for a 2.1MB file size. on the extreme end, i made one for the nose gear doors to extend paint when needed but that was only 12x12 and i did the no no as an advanced trick: i ran the color all the way to the edge so it would bleed out and "paint" the whole nose gear door mesh with a 1 KB tga

just some thoughts before  coffee, hoping theyre useful