I’m involved in this CFS3-project starting from OFF2 and did leave WoFF in favor of flying in VR.  Because of VR, I went to BoX only the whole FC1-VR is very sterile, overpriced as it’s nothing more then a cheap RoF swapjob done by Uglymedia and now all the reading about the N28, this plane seems a bit of an disappointing. So I would like to go back to WoFF, I do miss the atmosphere of flying the MS-parasol at the mountains in Belfort region as an sample.  Only one thing is keeping me away from BH&H2, =no VR

I know in the past it was not possible to rendering 3D in VR, but we are now a couple of years later. Are there any possibilities to transfer this WoFF game to 3D VR, with payware like Vorpx?  I would likely pay the VorpX or other software if it can generate the 3D in VR for BH&H2. 

:blind:

In order for VorpX to work, it has to be able to "hook" into the .exe of a game, and there are only a limited number of "hooks" supplied with the software. VorpX does not have a "hook" for CFS3.EXE, and none of the other available hooks can be repurposed for it, either. (Kitbashing and tweaking existing hooks is a common way to get "non-included" games working with VorpX). So... no 3D with VorpX.

However, VR rigs make superb (if pricey) head-tracking solutions. Basically, you play the game as normal inside your VR headset, using whatever virtual desktop/bigscreen software you choose. The free OpenTrack, run at the same time, provides the head-tracking.

Currently, I'm using a Quest 2, so I:
* establish the PC link with the Q2
* launch Virtual Desktop PC (like $15 on Steam, provides awesome, adjustable desktop viewing)
* This brings up my desktop inside my Q2
* Launch OpenTrack (it's configured to use my Q2 as an input) - this effectively takes care of WOFF2's TrackIR hook
* Launch WOFF2

I now have a nice big screen inside my headset with headtracking. The downside, of course, is that you can't see your keyboard. Which you actually totally can, if you peer down your nose and squint. So, just like any sim, you need a HOTAS, and you DEFINITELY need a HOTAS if you're strapping stuff to your face.

TL;DR: No, VorpX does not work with WOFF2. There's other ways to do hacked-together stereoscopic 3D with virtual desktop and reshade 3D, but I've done it, it's fiddly, and not worth the hassle.

• Thanks 2

Just did found a video about WoFF in VR, hope its helpful when a member wanting to try. 

• Thanks 1

On 29/05/2021 at 9:07 AM, Dutch_P47M said:

Just did found a video about WoFF in VR, hope its helpful when a member wanting to try. 

Thanks for sharing! It looks like he’s playing UE not the newest version, BH&H2. Both use CFS3, so why would this method of using FSX’s hook not work on the newest version?

I have pretty much the same setup as this guy and followed his steps but I can’t get VorpX to hook. Anyone else tried this method? Am desperate to get this working so I can ditch Il2.

Waggaz, maybe ask on the VorpX support or forum,  in theory it should  work the same. The main thing is to get the overlay working I think then you can setup things easier.

I guess it could also be the VR headset settings etc if it's different from the one used in the video.

Edited by Polovski
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Polovski said:

Waggaz, maybe ask on the VorpX support or forum,  in theory it should  work the same. The main thing is to get the overlay working I think then you can setup things easier.

I guess it could also be the VR headset settings etc if it's different from the one used in the video.

Thanks for the reply. I posted this on their support forum https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/hooking-into-combat-flight-sim-3-fsx-woff/

Ive also tagged that YouTube guy on his vid to ask about his settings etc. Would love to hear from anyone else here who got it working 

• Like 1

@Waggaz

Please let me know if this VR is working at a decent level, not a mode that its more acting like a TrackIR/monitor on your head and not generating the  3D-VR.  As this seems to be case in the Youtube sample. 

I still miss this this immersive game but I’m hooked on VR, now mainly Assetto Corsa with the roaring ‘20 cars/tracks mods. I do hope one day they can get the real 3D-VR implemented, with or without VorpX, (I gladly pay for additional software) and I’m back.  

edit dit you try the free route: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWNAaVLay8

@Polovski  I did read you have also an VR headset (Pimex??) what is your experience in VR with this splendid game. Are there any plans to cope  with software like VorpX, as I think its the easiest way for VR implementation? 

Edited by Dutch_P47M

Hi,

I bought Vorpx to play WOFF after watching the YouTube video referenced above. WOFF-UE does work.

Download the cfs3 profile from the cloud and Vorpx can hook to this when a mission is started in WOFF. Got full VR, Z-Norman ( no Geometry 3D). TrackIR functionality auto detected, cannot zoom in or out using head movement though but I use the game's zooming keys to compensate.

Tried using same schema for WOTR but for some reason, no go. Hesitant to get BH&H2 because of this. If anyone has success running BH&H2 with Vorpx, please let me know.

Z-normal (I couldn"t type). In Vorpx Direct VR mode is best, then Geometry 3D and Z-Normal etc.

With this setup I finally scored hits on an HA; lousy shot though, only 14 hits out of 250 bullets fired.

5 hours ago, oolong said:

Z-normal (I couldn"t type). In Vorpx Direct VR mode is best, then Geometry 3D and Z-Normal etc.

With this setup I finally scored hits on an HA; lousy shot though, only 14 hits out of 250 bullets fired.

I know @Polovski could confirm this better, but I think if UE can run VorpX, then BH&H2 should have no problems either. 

Now about the VR-3D effects is this on the same level as in real VR flysims like “Battle of Stalingrad” or FS2020, or is it just flat objects in the sky as like an child’s popup book. Do you notice any depth while being in the cockpit, looking at the instruments, plane wings, guns. 

3 hours ago, Dutch_P47M said:

Now about the VR-3D effects is this on the same level as in real VR flysims like “Battle of Stalingrad” or FS2020, or is it just flat objects in the sky as like an child’s popup book. Do you notice any depth while being in the cockpit, looking at the instruments, plane wings, guns. 

No. I only have one sim that has native VR support which is X-Plane 11. The VR-3D there is superb. Vorpx fine tuned some games, so called Direct VR games which supposedly have very good 3D effects.

With WOFF your own cockpit and surroundings look good. What I like most is the head tracking which is 1:1. There is a YouTube channel called Paradise Decay which is quite informative and knows more about Vorpx than I do. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, old readings on SimHQ forum and Youtube about WoFF-VR are talking about objects like planes and trees being flat 2D. But it seems that VorpX has been improved to bring more 3D to the surroundings. 

You are talking about an Cfs3 profile from the cloud, I guess it’s probably some download, could you share that link? 

Edited by Dutch_P47M

On 7/6/2022 at 6:10 PM, oolong said:

Hi,

Download the cfs3 profile from the cloud 

Could you share that  download CFS3 profile link? 

The cloud profile you find within VorpX Configuration, on left column choose Cloud Profiles, in game/app box type: 'combat flight sim'  without the quotes,  and click Apply. It should appear.

One note I see in that profile the comment says to use AnK0rs shaders from Jan 2017 - not sure that is still needed.

Edited by Polovski
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 7:10 PM, Polovski said:

The cloud profile you find within VorpX Configuration, on left column choose Cloud Profiles, in game/app box type: 'combat flight sim'  without the quotes,  and click Apply. It should appear.

One note I see in that profile the comment says to use AnK0rs shaders from Jan 2017 - not sure that is still needed.

I’m afraid the VorpX profile maker has it right, as it seems VorpX can not work with the BH&H2 newest DX9. Guess that could be the same reason why the @oolong could not run WOTR and @Waggaz had the same VR problems with BH&H2.  Read my posting at SimH about the DX9, for further info. 

Any member who can sent me the specific WoFF-UE  d3d8.dll and d3d8.ini  files? 

Edited by Dutch_P47M

Not needed as I do have UE on my 4Gb  back up external HD. 

Will continue later and keep you informed, but only if wanted. 

Edited by Dutch_P47M

Of course keep us informed Dutch.   BTW just for the record guys, please do not request files from other versions of WOFF. 

Let you all know: BH&H2 is now running in VorpX-VR and because I can run without the hybrid mode (using UE files) also at a great  level of eye candy.

For next week;  trying to get the darkish environment more lighter, need to change the Pilots seat position/FOV/zoom and eliminate the blinking leaves on trees. 

On 9/24/2023 at 9:16 AM, Dutch_P47M said:

Let you all know: BH&H2 is now running in VorpX-VR and because I can run without the hybrid mode (using UE files) also at a great  level of eye candy.

For next week;  trying to get the darkish environment more lighter, need to change the Pilots seat position/FOV/zoom and eliminate the blinking leaves on trees. 

Hey Dutch, I’ve just tried your solution but every time I launch CFS3 the .ini file rewrites itself back to =1. Any ideas on the cause? I’m using the out-of-the-box most recent version of the game so am wondering if there’s anything else I should install like older texture packs etc.

When I try to make that .ini file read-only it crashes WoFF/CFS3. It looks like the file is getting written each time you enter a map using the options from the config menu.

Any help would be appreciated!

I missed this post Dutch, well done.  Maybe post a step by step for others out there?

Waggaz, maybe you are editing the wrong file, there's two.  The main one to edit is in ...\WOFF\WOFFScenery\Shaders which gets copied in each run.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Polovski said:

I missed this post Dutch, well done.  Maybe post a step by step for others out there?

Waggaz, maybe you are editing the wrong file, there's two.  The main one to edit is in ...\WOFF\WOFFScenery\Shaders which gets copied in each run.

Got it and it’s working!

The two issues I’m now having is the frame rate in VR and the FOV. The default position in VR seems to be zoomed in very close to the instruments. I can get round it by zooming out in VorpX but this creates an unrendered bevel at the top and bottom of the view. I’m no pro with VorpX so any help optimizing would be much appreciated!

There’s two D3D8.ini files one in a shader folder and one in the main directory. Change both D3D8.ini files.
The default view is not optimal but according to the SimHQ and CAF this can be manually be changed. Do a search.  

I must admit, because of the strange blinking effects around the shape of the trees I did stop in playing this game,  I could not find the solution.