Sign in to follow this  
mandrews_2

Mixture Control for Caudron G4

So I was just flying a mission in a Caudron G4 and found I couldn't climb or catch up with my flight leader.  Looking at the RPM gauges, by adjusting the mixture I could get the left engine to ~1200rpm; but my right engine was only getting 900rpm.  Both engines were showing 100% health (so no engine damage).  On a lark, I turned on auto-pilot and immediately the right engine RPMS started climbing to 1200 like the left.  Is there something I'm missing (separate mixture controls) or is there something going on with the G4 engine management?

Edited by mandrews_2
clarity

OK A bit more information from a couple of QCs.  In the G4 cockpit, I only see one of the two mixture controls move when I adjust the mixture, and I can kill the left engine (never the right) by cutting back the mixture too much.  QC flight in a Gotha shows similar behavior (al least with the mixture cut out).

Just guessing I would think you have to adjust the mixture for each engine individually.  If you look in engine controls in the key mapping in Workshops, there are individual controls for up to four engines.  

2 hours ago, Burning Beard said:

Just guessing I would think you have to adjust the mixture for each engine individually.  If you look in engine controls in the key mapping in Workshops, there are individual controls for up to four engines.  

Good guess @Burning Beard.  That's it, I need to select the second engine.  Works great with the keyboard, now to figure out if I can control both engine mixtures together using my HOTAS dial.

Indeed the default will be to apply mixture changes or whatever, to the first engine. Select the second engine, then you can control that.

Shift+1 - engine 1 select.
Shift+2 - engine 2 select. etc

then you can adjust.

Go to the WOFF keys setup and top right, filter, Engine controls and you can see these and others.

Edited by Polovski

There is also a key to select all engines, if you want to control both engines as one...

B.

Thanks for the heads up... some useful little reminders here  :good:

Perhaps this statement belongs in the "Wish List" thread; but I'll make it here.

I wish there was a "Mixture Control All Engines" or "Mixture Control All Selected Engines" command available in the "Bind to Axis" list of the Key/Controller Mapping utility.  The current list is tied to Engine1 - Engine4 individually.  This is what triggered my initial confusion.