Sign in to follow this  
Rick Rawlings

What? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?

It is my sad duty to inform you that 2nd Lt. Fisticuffs Finney, RFC 40, has died in the service his country.

Lt Finney flew a defensive patrol over the front lines when his formation encountered a formation of Albatross DVs. In the ensuing combat, he downed an enemy scout without injury to himself.

Upon his return to Bruay, Finney was observed to abort his first two landing attempts. On his third approach, the Se5a was in a good position and landed normally.

However, witnesses report that 2 seconds later there was a tremendous crash and the Se5 was then seen wreathed in flames.  The accident is still under investigation but it is speculated that Lt. Finney was unfortunate enough to have collided with an errant fire barrel just after touching down . . .

Finney was credited with 2 victories and is to be awarded a posthumous Military Cross.

For King and Country !!

Burial Clipboard01.jpg

• Sad 2

Rick, great intercept... loved watching your flight all peel off into single file to commence the dive onto the albatros flight.

And well done Stache to keep your pilot Reed alive with that landing.

25 minutes ago, CastelEtzwane said:

Finney was credited with 2 victories and is to be awarded a posthumous Military Cross.

For King and Country !!

Bad luck with Finney mate... just shows you that you don't have to be in combat to find yourself pushing up daisies. :bad:

1 hour ago, CastelEtzwane said:

However, witnesses report that 2 seconds later there was a tremendous crash and the Se5 was then seen wreathed in flames.  The accident is still under investigation but it is speculated that Lt. Finney was unfortunate enough to have collided with an errant fire barrel just after touching down . . .

NOOOOOO! Are you sure it wasn't anything glitchy that got you? I don't want someone going out for that!

If your character is truly dead, feel free to fly on in exhibition more with a new character...

Rick, great intercept... loved watching your flight all peel off into single file to commence the dive onto the albatros flight.

Thanks, although I cut it for time, they almost single-filed right into me on the first turn!

Edited by Rick Rawlings
  • Like 1

11 November 1917.  In which Stephen Edwards V is reminded that this is dangerous stuff even without a sight of enemy. 

Flying his first combat mission, 2Lt Stephen Edwards V is assigned to B flight, and their 6 planes take off without incident and head to the patrol area behind friendly lines protecting the airfield at Etrun, NW of Arras.  As they approach their patrol altitude, B flight leader Jamie Parker turns to port and heads home.  "Bloody Engines" thinks Stephen as 'McIrish' McElroy takes the flight lead.  Five minutes later as they pass 11,000ft, 'Harry' Harrison, flying next to Stephen, does the same thing.  "Well at least that gives me a bit of room for my dreadful formation flying" thinks Stephen as he continues to follow McElroy.  20 minutes on patrol with the only other aircraft in sight being A flight above.   After circling the field and turning to base leg, the plane of Sergeant Lloyd buzzes over Stephen.  "Bloody idiot, watch where you're going"; but a moment later Stephen tips his plane (luckily without damage) as he turns to taxi.  "Now I'm the idiot.  It'll be hard to tell off Lloyd when I make such a stupid mistake myself".  Moments later,  things turn somber as Stephen learns that Capt Parker had crashed and was killed before he could make it back to the field.

• Like 1

Fantastic videos gents! I see we have our first brave pilot go west. I fear there will be more before it’s over. 

Reed's second mission (sorry I was off a day) - made up for it on the third mission.

A sour day but managed another victory and was awarded the Military Cross.

Reed's third mission - managed another victory and a second landing my chief was happy with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mfair621 said:

Fantastic videos gents! I see we have our first brave pilot go west. I fear there will be more before it’s over. 

You feared right. I'll be one of 'em for sure lol. But it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game. With a stiff upper lip and a straight bat. Right?

14 hours ago, TROOPER117 said:

Nice one catch... short but directly to the point at each change in tempo. I enjoyed it  :good:

Thanks Troops. I fly the complete sorties but edit big time to make short, concise vids. So that you chaps get the gist like. Or it could be my short attention span. Anyway, all the clips I use are from the sorties (no inserting of "action" clips from elsewhere). And of course I faff about with silly stuff, hopefully for entertainment, but really because I guess I'm a bit weird. :secret:

• Like 1

Unfortunately RL has kept me away from the opening of the challenge and will continue to do so until this coming weekend from the looks of it.  I will try to get caught up then on everyone's adventures as well as my own.  Watch your six, folks!

Real life always comes first Lou... we look forward to seeing your exploits soon!

Hang in there Lou. RL is one of those strange things that can't be avoided. As Lennon said life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

And now "Spiv" embarks on his 3rd sortie. 16th Nov 1917. (I've gotta move things along a bit or Rick'll get the whip out :whip:)  No vid just pics this time.

So finally 2nd Lt Squizzy Taylor gets a kill but his claim is rejected. No matter, he has survived 3 missions.

victory2.thumb.png.add258ece44a02cd42d05d6ee4cfe796.png

victory1.thumb.png.7349b2df7d2d72ca45deeb8c1e242771.png

60b6220a7f8f4_DesktopScreenshot2021_06.01-18_45_55_24.thumb.png.cb35f2b6a7109c7fe308c879df494341.png

60b6222dde356_DesktopScreenshot2021_06.01-18_47_27_46.thumb.png.b8f1750123a50876c0535ce3a18e5d2c.png

• Like 1

Good work everyone and great videos Stache, even if you following so closely in a power dive does catch my breath! Nice job with the kill, catch. Confirmed or rejected, you know you got him! Lou, good to hear from you and I look forward to the reports!

Enjoying the reports keep them coming gents

Stache, Good on ya mate! 2 victories and still kicking.

Catch, how the heck did that claim get rejected!

Lou, RL can be a cruel mistress.

Just a note, I advanced 10 days instead of 8 for 5 kills and becoming an Ace. Will be adjusted as I move along.

Jethro "Tull" Bodine

Mission 5

Nov. 19th

Ol Naps led 6 of us to patrol the lines between Vimy and Arras. More rain! I sure hate this flyin in the rain. Jumped again by Albatros scouts. What a shindig! Everyone was flyin and dodgin all over the sky. I sent one down quick and had to climb up to get another one. I used up all my vickers ammo and 2 drums of Lewis to send them down. The whole crew took a lot of damage. The mechanics are shore gonna up late tonight patching all these holes. 

Back at the field, the commander told him to pack his bags. "There going to pin a medal on you Bodine! Jethro smiled. "I bet the girls are gonna love to see me for shor!"

JB19.1.thumb.jpg.68ce4ebce4261c1d0a12ee78c8f7c042.jpg

JB19.thumb.jpg.44c4b1765b5638b1bca4e40ffbda1439.jpg

Mission 6

Nov. 29th

After an 8 day absence for the medal, Ol Naps, myself and one other were headed over the lines to take down a balloon. This ought to be fun I thought. "I'll hang back and watch how this is done" Bodine said. Just before they dove on the balloon, Ol Naps pulled up in a steep climb. Bodine did the same looking all around as he knew this meant trouble. He could not see anything! Not realizing he was pulling back on the stick as he looked around he stalled his darn machine. When he pulled out of his spin, tracers flashed by. He still could not see anything! Turns out, the Huns were painted a pale blue and blended perfectly with the morning sky. He finally saw one when he looked down. He got on it pronto and it rolled over as soon as he fired. "Yeehaw" Bodine yelled as he pulled up. More tracers came by but the eager Hun overshot and gave Bodine a perfect shot which he took. "Make that two!" he hollered. He spied one more, catching sight of an SE as he did. He was soon on its tail and shot out its engine. He made two more passes at it put overshot both times. "Third times the charm" he said as he fired and watched the Hun crash into the ground. Turning west he saw the balloon. "Not today! I'm low on ammo, aint got no friends around and i'm headed for vittles!" Back at the field Bodine was jumping around like young pony. "What are you so fired up about Ol Boy" asked Naps. "I got 3 of'em" exclaimed Bodine. Naps rolled his eyes. "You might have hit 3 but only one hit the ground." Bodine was beside himself. He walked off all hang dog like to the mess.

JT29th.thumb.jpg.cbf70450a81758ca249fbc1e70ab58d8.jpg

• Like 1

Nice, Mfair! *I see a possible mug in your future!*

Tim Tully

Mission 4

60b6c21852a2e_TullyMiss04.thumb.jpg.2ff05e3b2dbbffcb8a4a624d25ef2c5a.jpg

60b6c21662522_Mission4Results.thumb.jpg.0a31fc6f7293637344568d48cf254714.jpg

Little bit of TrackIR trouble, which will cause a problem next mission...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mfair621 said:

Nov. 19th

More rain!

Stout job on your acedom Mfair. You know it's a funny thing but regarding the weather, I have completed my 4th sortie also on Nov. 19th .... (will upload later) and it were a beautiful, brisk late autumn sunny day,. You know, the ones you remember from high school days when pining for some chick you're madly in love with but too shy to bust a move ....

Reed's Fourth Mission.  

A beautiful sunrise mission with great clouds!
Managed another victory, Reed's first two seater.
Reed had a second lined up but realized he was alone and decided to let it be and go find his buddies.
Which he did, but then lost them again as they dove on some other planes.
Reed decided to head for home.

22 minutes ago, Stache said:

Which he did, but then lost them again as they dove on some other planes.
Reed decided to head for home.

They're pretty inconsiderate like that!  That was a nice video. It's rare to see a wing come off a recon craft like that, at least in my experience. I think you should have sat out there a half mile away and let that fool observer shoot at you all day long until he ran out of bullets and the just gone in and shot him down!

4 hours ago, Stache said:

A beautiful sunrise mission with great clouds!
Managed another victory, Reed's first two seater.

Nice one Stache. Good to see that sunrise and some two seaters ... and the wings flying off. Jolly good show.

I noticed your lowering/raising of Lewis was jittery. Most unbecoming whilst in combat. If you want it smooth, when using the key combo's hold them down. If mapped to stick, set buttons to "repeat 2" in the advanced section and hold down.

Edit: That 3 point landing was great. I must practice that.

Edited by catch

Rick, that was close Amigo! A mug in my future? Way too early yet. One mission can dash all hopes. 
Catch, oh yes, those lovely high school romances! Those were the days. Ended up putting my brand on one and 44 years later she’s still here. 
Stache, a broke lot attacking a gaggle of 2 seaters. Lost a many a pilot to the devils. 

Lofty C reporting

11 Nov - we were sent up on an intercept.  There wasn't anything around, not even our AA, so I broke awasy and headed east, to maybe intercept on their way home.  Turns out that I ran into 4 albatrosses over No Man's land.  I didn't want to die yet, but after working back west, they were only 2, so I gave them a whirl.  And I got one!  I saw an explosion by his engine, and then when I circled around, he wasn't around, so I figure he either crashed or finished blowing up.

13 Nov - Bollocks!  The red stripes denied my claim; jeez louise, surely someone in the trenches was facing forward and saw it?!  Oh well, Mannock says at least I know there's one less Hun around.  I wonder why Mick seems to have so much more personal venom towards our enemies than others; no one seems to be able to say.  

so, for our mission, we just did a patrol in front of Lens, nothing to report.

15 Nov. - Sent to bomb a railyard north of Lens.  Right next to a Hun 'Drome, no less.  In fact, the fun started a little earlier, when 4 DFW's flew over us going west.  But flight lead Wallwork chose to stay the course, I guess thinking that someone else would deal with them.  Well, a little later, we ran into some EA scouts, and we couldn't ignore these!  I ended up getting behind one trying to flee home, and shot off his wing!  By then I was over the lines, and since I didn't see anyone else, I figured to try to find the railyard after all.  WOuldn't you know it though, that an Albatros came on me?  well, we circled and played, pretty darn low I say, until his engine stopped, and I was able to finish him!  2 in one mission!  so I headed home, but WAIT there were two pfalzes behind me!  where did they come from, and how did they catch me?  I got enough west again, and then turned on them.  A bit later, I got one dead in my sights and let him have both guns.  Hit him so good, that I got really close to him.  Oops! TOO CLOSE - COLLISION!  Fire up front!  I'm bleeding!  Noooooo!  Get down!   fainting..... Land..............

When I woke, I was in a German hospital.  Yup, I was still here, and in fact they fixed me up well enough to be out in 8 days.  In fact, they did too good of a job - I ESCAPED AND GOT BACK after 3 more days!!!!  

I filled out the reports, and not only got confirmation on two huns, butt they gave me the MC to boot!  How lucky can a guy be?!?!

(seriously, I had to check my settings to see if somehow it got changed to never die - I thought for sure I was a goner!)

That last one was close Lofty! Your still alive and that’s what counts. 

Tim Tully

Mission 5

*Full disclosure: this was not my first mission 5. My first mission 5 was plagued by the head tracking issues in mission 4 but a lot more. I finally figured out that my Track IR cable was getting snagged by my rudders when I moved them a certain amount, not enough to noticeably move the camera, but just enough to keep shifting my view in a perplexing way. On top of that,  the wife popped in and just had to talk about something while I was in the middle of combat. At that point I was getting a little hot, so I decided that as the CEO of Rick Rawlings Challenges Enterprises, neither myself, my employees or any members of my immediate family are eligible to collect any cash or prizes, so I reloaded and started again. And now:

60b8303deb197_TullyMiss05.thumb.jpg.3d791bddfff6f628e6b017bd0b27019b.jpg

60b8303b8c844_Mission5Results.thumb.jpg.51fbf6876d01b0d9942528c56255bfba.jpg