Sign in to follow this  
Rick Rawlings

What? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?

Very nice dead stick landing Rick, you nailed it.

Good Shooting also, got that pilot with only a few rounds.

Well done mate... first proper flamer I've seen for awhile!

They do seem to be pretty rare, don't they? That's something I've often wondered about. Reports I've read seem to range from one burst to almost all their ammo to down a single kite, and sometimes they go down in flames and sometimes not. On another note, I hope that they do get dx11 effects in as that should help with tracers, sun-glare, wing glare and fire overall.

I would not begrudge ado over under those conditions Rick. My wife knows if she hears engines and machine guns coming from the man cave, if she opens the door, the house better be on fire!  That started back in the Red Baron days. If she came in just to watch, my pilot died! 
Nice videos mate!

Edited by Mfair621

Well this is it for the week and I'm still alive! 

Juthro Bodine

Mission 7

MacScotch led us again on a patrol of enemy lines. Again the Huns had the jump on us. How do they fly so high? Bodine found himself climbing up to get on one and tracers from 2 of his flight converged on it. He turned away to hunt for another. There he was crossing right in front of him! He let go with a burst and the machine instantly turned over a went straight down to the dirt. "Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and again" he thought. Circling he saw two specs going round to the east so he turned to join in. As he came close the SE broke off leaving him with the Albatros. Bodine soon shot his engine out. It took two overshoots before he was able to send it down. Bodine was feeling purdy full of himself. He now had 9 victories.

JB30.thumb.jpg.467f595d0d855f2a4ee24eaba5c959c4.jpg

Edited by Mfair621

13 November 1917.  In which Stephen Edwards fires his guns in anger for the first time.

Went out on a mass patrol (6 planes in both A and B flight), we met a small group of EA.  In the ensuing melee, I managed to avoid shooting his flight mates and even managed to hit a few pot shots off at the enemy.  He even saw a few hits.  Spotting a Alb D.Va down below, he dove after it.  It was only as he was approaching it that he noticed that it was already engaged with an squadron mate.  Stephen pulled up and circled the action for a minute and witnessed Maj. Parker bring the hun down.  Once done, they both turned for home.

15 November 1917.  In which Stephen Edwards makes his first claim

B flight got the call for an intercept mission.  Led by Lt Wallwork, the flight included MacLanachan, Harrison, Napier, and myself.  Harrison has engine trouble and turns for home as we gain our altitude (we are only climbing to 4000ft).  As we approach the front at about 5000ft, a flight of 5 Alb D.V jump us from above.  In the mess, I end up dealing with two of them.  Well it started with one.  I manage to get the first in my sights and let go a long burst.  I see the hits and he spins towards the ground while I watch.  I see him pull out, and I dive for another go.  I let my attention focus on #1 for too long, and #2 joins the fight.  Since #1 didn't seem too interested in sticking around, I turn my attention to #2.  We go around a bit, and I manage to get a few shots him as does he.  I manage to stay behind him.  I think he lost slight of me, because he didn't evade.  This gives me time to reload the Lewis and catch back up with him.  I close to under 100 yeards and let him have it.  I follow him through several maneuvers and a full drum of lewis and corresponding vickers rounds later, I take one last pass and he goes down.  I watch him all the way to the ground.  By this time, I realize I'm 5 miles behind their lines with not a friendly (or enemy) in sight.  I make a bee line for the airfield.  I make it all the way back to our field only to discover, its been bombed in the interim.  There's not a tent left.  We've got some cleaning up to do.

Editors note: one of these days, I'll remember to take a screenshot or (heaven forbid) manage a movie.

Great work guys! Man, that Lt. Wallwork  is everywhere! 

MFair, great job on getting up to 9! My mancave doesn't have a door, so that must be my problem!

Great story, mandrews_2! I find myself firing a lot of full drums too! Would love to see a pic or vid if you can!

19th Nov. 1917

4th Sortie.

"Spiv" Taylor gets two more claims rejected by the C.O. This is becoming intolerable for young Spiv. Perhaps, he should concoct a plan with "Chuffs" to curry the C.O.'s favour, who seems to have taken a dislike to Spiv's arrogant colonial attitude. Most unbecoming of the RFC what!

Survival is one thing but having three claims rejected to date begs of a conspiracy! What the heck!

Bloody poms.

• Like 1

Nice ending catch!...  I hope you invited that Fritz to cocktails in the mess afterwards  :haha:

Catch, another fine video Sir. Question, do you have claims set to easy? 

45 minutes ago, TROOPER117 said:

Nice ending catch!...  I hope you invited that Fritz to cocktails in the mess afterwards  :haha:

Of course. He turned out to be a very nice chap and got outrageously drunk. Happy to be out of it.

13 minutes ago, Mfair621 said:

Catch, another fine video Sir. Question, do you have claims set to easy? 

Thanks Mfair. Yeah I do have it set to easy. It's just the C.O.  .... he dislikes upstart colonials.

Great video, catch! The continuously cutting into the Pfalz gave me flashbacks:

I think I also have three rejected on easy claims, so we definitely have the same C/O! You are making me nervous, though, with those spinning dives; that's how I lost my wing in the other SE5a challenge!

• Haha 1

2nd Lt Pixie Turkington Smythe.

13 Nov 1917.

Pixie couldn't believe it... his claim from the last mission was rejected. Apparently the ack ack artillery chaps had said that they had got that albatros, and it seemed the C.O. believed them!

As he sat in the cockpit and glared at Mc Irish and Mc Scotch before start up, he pondered why their claims never seemed to be disputed... it's just not fair!

Couple that with the lousy weather his mood darkened.

Pixie_2.jpg

Once his engine was running and warming up he was positive that this time he would show them... he'd go all out to bag another hun.

Pixie_3.jpg

Once they had taken off and formed up and started to gain height, he forgot about his foul mood and concentrated on his flying. He hoped that the other two chaps, Wrigley and Sgt Graham on the other side of his aeroplane would come through todays patrol along with the rest of B Flight.

Pixie_4.jpg

Suddenly, the flight broke up and climbed hard... he couldn't work it out, we still had a good way to go to the lines.

Then to his horror, half a dozen Pfalz  scouts were diving on A Flight above, and then to add to the unfolding event, one of A Flight had collided with someone in B Flight!

Pixie_5.jpg

Soon Pixie had other thing to worry about. Two of the huns had singled him out and for several minutes he was fighting for his life.

Eventually, he managed to get on the tail of one of the hun machines, and they fought like cat and dog above Camblain-l'Abbe aerodrome for all to see.

Pixie_6.jpg

The German pilot eventually had to land just north of the drome, as Pixie had damaged his engine... He had done it again. Surely he would get a 'confirmed' this time?

Pixie_7.jpg

Pixie looked around, he was alone... one minute, mayhem all around, the next, nothing... but wait, what's that?

A hun machine was making for the lines. He might just catch him before he crosses... Pixie gave chase. Slowly, very slowly he was gaining. As he drew near they crossed friendly lines. Now was his chance!

Pixie_8.jpg

Pixie opened fire and the German reacted immediately. The dance began again from the middle of 'no mans land' and towards the German lines.

The German was damaged as Pixie's fire found its mark.

Pixie_9.jpg

Suddenly, his enemy lost control and went into a steep dive and didn't stop until he smashed into the ground, right next to the German trenches... Pixie had scored again!

Pixie_10.jpg

With this fight over, 2nd Lt Turkington Smythe headed back over the lines and returned to a friendly drome.

He felt elated and exhausted. Would he be vindicated now... would his two victories actually count this time?

• Like 1

Thanks Rick, it was a cracking mission... sad to say though, the B Flight pilot that was killed in the collision was 2nd Lt Ethan Wrigley  :(

Wait, is that to say that in your alternate universe there will be no spearmint gum after the war? Sounds like a killer marketing opportunity for your pilot if he makes it!

Wrong Wrigley... This one kept talking about 'Wriggley Tin'... Whatever that is?

Good on ya Trooper! Very nice screenshots.

Lots of pilots yet to be heard from. Being it on gentlemen. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TROOPER117 said:

his claim from the last mission was rejected.

4 hours ago, TROOPER117 said:

would his two victories actually count this time?

Hmmm this sounds familiar ....

A fine pictorial Troops. I love the pic of the colliding kites. :good:

• Like 1

2nd Lt Pixie Turkington Smythe.

15 Nov 1917.

Hurrah and Huzzah!... The C.O. has recommended my claims confirmed.

Pixie_11.jpg

And to top that a citation from His Majesty.

Pixie_12.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work, Trooper. well deserved!

Here's my last for the week, a weird one!

60bac61550fa9_TullyMiss07.thumb.jpg.1512eb7d31b18089f7f143f2211003e7.jpg

60bac6130085f_Mission7Results.thumb.jpg.8bea15fce28cc95c4677415d2c418f64.jpg

I was waiting for the engine to flame out or fail at any point! Thankfully it held together long enough!

• Like 1

Fawlty RFC

Week 1 Report

Seven missions flown, only saw the rotten Bosche machines once. Came upon a bunch of 2 seaters over the lines. Damned if I knew what was what but Cleese got one and Idle got another. Very bloody pleased with themselves they were!

That moody bugger Mannock didn't like my paint job one bit.

"Who made a mess of your plane, Python", he said to me on the first day in camp. I told him it was Arthur Jackson, the renowned artist. "Fekking awful that it is" he snarled back. "Isn't he the fella with two sheds?" I told him yes, but that Arthur preferred people focus more on his painting than his garden projects.

I did manage one success: we went after one of those big gasbags and all the boys missed it except for me. Old Naps backed me up and I had it confirmed the same day. Well that's one week in the books. Everyone loves our new mascot. He's an oversized hedgehog called Dinsdale. We keep him on a leash. Makes a change from dogs and lions and stuff.

MP

pythonwk1.thumb.jpg.9b04fcf0bf6aa69862b3d0650edb25c3.jpg

• Haha 1