I love these games, and could never replace them since they are so good. However, i lost all hope for new TW content after the move to mobile. If the game isn't profitable, there is no way more work will be put, or i could even say wasted on it. I would love to have more stuff, and i drool everytime i go through the ini files and see references to things that never came, but the way i've seen it for the last 8 years is that the game is finished on TWs part and it is the modding community that keeps it alive. 

• Like 8

And still no word on the Win 10 version? I remember the early SF1 days well. Good time indeed except for all the bickering between modders and sites. I dont miss that. 

• Like 4

said it before, say again: its the modders that keep this show rolling

check out the ODS campaign. while i wasnt the happiest about it being a paid mod, the payment is a month subscription to the site so it helps everyone (esp Erik) not just one. and it does have alot of good work from the current active crowd all compiled together. not DCS peak quality but i think it will be awhile before we see one third of whats in it from Eagle Dynamics

plus,i might know the guy that painted up alot of the big birds in it :biggrin:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

check out the ODS campaign. while i wasnt the happiest about it being a paid mod, the payment is a month subscription to the site so it helps everyone (esp Erik) not just one.

That's an inaccurate statement, Kevin. We don't get a single dime from that mod, so it's not a paid product actually. You don't pay for it, you pay for the subscription service which offers unlimited downloads among other features; the mod is just an extra/bonus to it. It encourages end users to support the site and cover its costs; hosting costs money, and I know for a fact that Erik had to jump through hoops in order to upload this quality package in its entirety, as it is exceptionally big in the amount of content it offers. Besides, the mod should be available free of charge to the long time supporters of the site, be it admins, moderators and recognized modders.

Speaking of actual paid products, I've seen some payware for Strike Fighters, and the overall quality of such packages leaves a lot to be desired IMHO. ODS was built upon months of passion and effort, it is still being worked on (some software developers don't even care to patch their own paid products) and eventually it will be available for unrestricted downloads by anyone. For now, those who like what we modders create, can help sustain the site. Without it, all mods no longer have a home.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

you misunderstand what im saying, in saying the payment was a month subscription to the site i acknowledge that none of us (that worked on it) got a single cent from it.

its the pay for content rather than access or just to support  the site that i had reservations about (however roundabout it may be to call it as such). yes, i've gotten the messages and updates on whats going on. i just happen to be skittish of slippery slopes, however good the intentions that get you to them are.

it appears i am just being a paranoid old man on the whole thing, and i hope that is the case. but ive gotten through the four decades of my life listening to the paranoid tingle and calling out what causes it.  how this was handled has the possiblitly to change up this site overall in the future esp if it was very successful in Eriks eyes. we havent necesarily shown him the way, just a way to inject funds to support teh site. but again, i hope im just seeing things.

finally, the fact that a subscription is required would make it a paid product. who gets the money is irrelevant, the end user to dispense funds to get the access to the whole package