Sign in to follow this  
Bagpipe

Crash sounds

Hello!

I noticed that the sound of other aircraft crashing can be heard for quite some distance, quite unrealistically loudly.

Many times I have thought my own aircraft has sporadically broken when I hear the sound but it just turns out someone was hitting the ground several 100ft below me

I don't suppose there is a way to reduce the level vs. distance that this sound is heard at? I hope I am explaining this correctly... 

Me too... this happens a lot!

makes me jump and I immediately back off from a plane I am following down as I always think I'm overstressing my own plane.

• Like 1

LOL, thought it was my imagination. Cruising back home, hear the occasional sound of fabric ripping with no other airplanes around. The sound of crashing airplanes is equally perplexing, causing me to pan around looking for the poor bast@rd.

By watching the rest of B Flight in the landing circuit (whilst I’m sitting with my engine off), I noticed the sound of their engines goes away when they’re beyond 1.5 miles (just when they turn base leg).

We did revise the sounds across the board including breaks and rips.  Are you running any mods?

For an example of the "crunch" sound, watch Fullofit's short video of his pilot Rudi's demise.

You can hear three successive crunches just before the view goes to the external camera. I think the sound occurs when some component or the pilot reaches 100% of their hit points, but you can sometimes hear it even when nothing has happened to your aircraft or pilot. It can be very loud.

Edited by BuckeyeBob

Where's the video BB?

We specifically altered sounds for that, if you still hear it loud something else is going on. We don't hear loud ones here.

I can confirm yesterday, with no mods running, that I was also hearing the random tearing fabric/crashing sounds on a return leg back to home field at 5000 ft. Also heard it when I landed (I was the last one and the entire flight was on ground with engines off).

Yeah no mods here either. For me at least it seems to be the crash sound needs to have the volume lowered if it comes from another aircraft. Prob makes it sounds alot simpler than it is too lol

Pol, it's in the DiD pilot challenge thread at simhq. It was within two or three days ago. I'll see if I can go find it.

Here is the youtube link: https://youtu.be/rAOOFMR4b2A

The sound is around the 1:18 mark. Note: in this case, the sound is definitely linked to Fullofit's pilot, but I also occasionally hear it when it is obviously happening to someone else, even when they are far away.

Edited by BuckeyeBob

Thanks BB, so you mean when he hits the ground himself?  I misunderstood, I thought the video showed the problem.  I know what the sound is like - it's basically all the parts hitting the ground and breaking up - but thought you meant an AI crashing example.

As I say all AI have reduced sounds for that particular effect. It's likely to be some other sound / driver setting that is causing it as it's fine on the PCs we tested on.

No, it happens just before the new pilot "oof" sound, indicating he has died or has been seriously injured. He hits the ground 20 or 30 seconds later.

In that video at least at 1.18, yes that is your (or rather Fullofit's) wing spars snapping in the high speed dive. The wires whistling is the cue too on that one.

On other occasions, no idea as I say all AI aircraft have a reduced sound there now.

Edited by Polovski

Actually thinking on it... also note, one new feature in BH&H II is it has progressive wing damage in now.  So if damaged, and you are still whizzing around your wings could be failing!

The other thing it could be - sometimes happens that if you are in external view,  and something bad happens to your aircraft, then later you jump into VC some stored sounds could play.

Edited by Polovski
  • Like 1

I figured the example in Fullofit's video was an example of the progressive damage model, which is a pretty good feature.

The few times I have heard it in my own aircraft I'm fairly positive I hadn't used external view at all prior to hearing the sound. I may have been using the mouse view, however, although I doubt that should make any difference.

Yeah I think considering everything overall BH&H II is pretty good and fairly solid in most departments, AI, DM, FM, Campaign, Aircraft etc for the vast majority of people.

There are plenty of deal-breaker problems in some top flight sims and games, so we are not doing too bad.

The issues now are just down to a small few annoyances.

Edited by Polovski
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Polovski said:

Yeah I think considering everything overall BH&H II is pretty good and fairly solid in most departments, AI, DM, FM, Campaign, Aircraft etc for the vast majority of people.

There are plenty of deal-breaker problems in some top flight sims and games, so we are not doing too bad.

The issues now are just down to a small few annoyances.

Absolutely! I have far more issue with a.n.other fairly recently released AAA sim game which won't be named, than I do WOFF.

And yes, it's just little niggles and nothing really game breaking. AND...you didn't lie to your future consumers to sell the product in the first place :clapping::lol:

Edited by Polovski

Definitely not a deal-breaker. Far from it. When we are down to fussing over such minor annoyances, you know you have a superior product, which is a very rare thing, these days.