Sign in to follow this  
mandrews_2

London Scenery

So I was assigned to RFC-24 before they were activated, and thought I'd take the opportunity to get a handle on the DH-2.  On today's free flight mission, I went down the Thames to do a little sight seeing and came across this bridge next to Parliament. 

Shot05-04-21-18-10-59.thumb.jpg.db654c83a1acd881f114452c0f04783d.jpg

Kicking myself for forgetting to fly under/through the Tower Bridge.  Looks like I have to fly one more mission before I fast-forward a couple of months and get into the action.

I am a long term eye candy man with FSX, AFS2 and other civilian flight sims. This sim is really great,  and really the first one I am bothering to try to learn to fly in the right way rather than in chase view. Flying over London in this one is one of the first things I did when I bought this and I was a little disappointed but it will no doubt be a very good target for future German bombing missions. :smile:

I see you have completed your training and been posted to RFC 24 squadron and was wondering how many hours training is usual before going to an operational squadron?

7 hours ago, VFC_Baxter said:

was wondering how many hours training is usual before going to an operational squadron?

My log book records 4.8 hours in the Be2c over a 2 week period beginning 1st Feb 1915 at Suttons Farm. It may not seem a lot but I was desperate to get away from Capt. Triggers. The front seemed much safer. So ....

21 hours ago, VFC_Baxter said:

I see you have completed your training and been posted to RFC 24 squadron and was wondering how many hours training is usual before going to an operational squadron?

I don't do the training missions anymore.  I just happened to get assigned a non-active squadron this time around. My current pilot has about 4 hours flight time, and I finally feel somewhat comfortable in the DH2.  For me, this means I can (1) fly the darn thing  (my first pilot stalled making the turn to base leg and died); (2) trim the plane so I don't have to keep pulling on the joystick while flying; and (3) can do a few aerobatics/spin recovery.  Normally, I use QC free flights to do this; but when I got the assignment, I thought I'd log the flight time.