LloydNB

Having Alpha Channel problems with TGA files?

I remember reading here the other day that people continue to have problems getting TGAs to show properly on aircraft.  The problem is down to paint programs producing 24-bit TGAs, whereas the game needs 32-bit files for the Alpha channel to be included.

The answer is a handy little utility that I keep on my desktop. Its an Alpha Converter by Adam Najmanowicz. Simple to use - just open the utility up (there are just two files), select TGA files as the output,select and drag your 24 bit TGAs on to the utility.  For a 128x128 file you will seen the file size change where you have the TGA files stored  e.g. from 66KB to 65KB. You can find the utility for download at Adam's blog - https://blog.najmanowicz.com/search/alphaconv/

Remember to select an uncompressed 24-bit format when making the files in the first place.

Edited by LloydNB
  • Like 2

Paint.net is also very good for the job. I use it regularly for saving them as TGA.

awesome that you have software to help those that need it

however i will point out that i have been using GIMP for 10 years for my tga work, with never any issues (well non user created ones anyhow). even used it while i was still paying the subscription for Adobe as i liked it better for tga work. of courrse now its my goto for everything as it is .... free

i just have to leave a pixel space from the edges, remember to turn of RLE compression the very first tga i export (each time i fire up the program that is), and in some very rare instances add an alpha channel in the transparency tab.

my solution is more habits based, but i know there are many out there that seek a software based solution. not meaning to knock your project, just mentioning another way

• Like 2

as daddy said. If all done properly in graphic editor ..there will be no issues. 

And yes, GIMP is the easiest and fastest way to create decals

• Like 3

There is a bug in the old Photoshop 7.0 where by it automatically creates the alpha on a tga .....been using it since day one.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sundowner said:

There is a bug in the old Photoshop 7.0 where by it automatically creates the alpha on a tga .....been using it since day one.

That's why I still use PS.6, even though I lost the installer years ago. 4 different HD, and have to copy/paste the whole program. I do have PS7 as well, but don't like how it handles certain things

I do seem to recall there was patch for 32bit tgas for PS.7, and I had it once. Don't know where it went...

I use Corel PaintShop 2021. The interface makes more sense to me than other graphic editors. The thing I really like is you buy it and it's yours. No messing about with monthly subscription fees, which I loathe. I also have Adobe Fireworks but it's really old now since Adobe stopped developing it forever ago. In fact I probably won't even load that on my next OS. GIMP is great because it's free and for being free it's a little powerhouse. 

• Like 2