Sign in to follow this  
VFC_Baxter

I love this sim because ....

It is a single player stand alone experience. At the moment my internet is as slow as a wet week in Melbourne which is why after spending a fortune in a sale on several of the latest and greatest sims they reside on the shelf. Cannot play multiplayer with dodgy intermittent internet connections. Always shooting at where the enemy was five minutes ago if not getting crashes to desktop (CTD's). This one, no worries, just fire her up and off you go. Thanks to OBD and their hard work.

Pol is a great bloke too. I still fire up Wings of War PC (2004) when grandson visits and Pol did so much for the users in that sim too. Always willing to help and improve things.:good:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VFC_Baxter said:

At the moment my internet is as slow as

Really? I have superfast speeds 35 down, 7 up ! But my ping is even stupendously higher than that to US/Euro servers (where the action is) and is a stunning 250+ mbps at worst and an amazing 400+ mbps at best if I'm really lucky ! Thank you Australia. Copper rules. Still. Unless you can afford $20K to have fibre to the home from some node miles away. But enough venting ....

I love this sim because it's SP and it's really good, much more gooder than others, with lotsa cool stuff. You can quote me on that. I have no objection.

For me it really is the Red Baron experience taken to it's logical conclusion. Just being a pilot in the war on either side who can rise through the ranks through skill and luck and maybe survive the whole thing, while having a somewhat believable time of it. Now if they can just get Mitch Mitchell on drums, everything will be complete! Also, why does the thumbs up emoji on this forum always look like he's equivocating?

I love any game that doesn't have to be constantly connected  to a host site just to play SP... and of course, WoFF is top of the list  :ty:

Couldn't agree more. MP can be fun with the right people but that just isn't consistent. Everyone has a life and sitting aside a certain time for everyone usually isn't realistic. Not to mention even if the game has a single player option the devs don't put A.I. as a priority and lean on the MP for that. WWI sims aren't the only sim with this issue. Nascar racing 3 still sits on my SSD. There is no other option. Iracing suffers because of MP. It's extremely frustrating to invest in the thing...wheel, pedals and a hundred plus a year and no way to advance to the nascar option until you get beyond rookie....when rookie in MP means your rarely finish a race because of all the other rookies. 

If they'd release a SP game I'd be all over it. But all the SP games available are ....."games' and not simulations. 

I love this sim because...the immersive campaign is the finest around, and has been for a very long time (in game longevity years).  You can tell it's a labour of love, crafted well, and full of amazing detail.  And it's well supported, so well so that (to my mind at least) OBD puts AAA studios (I'm looking at you EAggh, UnFunCom, BubiSoft, Blusterd/Craptivision et al.) to absolute shame.  Love this sim.

Kind regards,

Dave  

No multi player, therefore not toxicity ( Rust and EvE for example) great dev support, when there is an issue they are on it like a rash. the campaign is great, although, early war recces were done by single, or a flight of 2 aircraft, not a whole flight, so really that needs to be corrected, but that is a very minor gripe. the graphics, considering this is based on a pretty old engine, are superb, the fact that modding is allowed, or even encouraged, is brilliant. So over all one of the best, flight sims around, up there with the likes of DCS, and other high end Flight Simulators. 

First great to see activities on WoFF here at CAF,  much better site then the buggy SIMHQ. 

Sorry I have some remarks 

Early war recon missions: By my knows (Cecil Lewis book as an sample in his MS parasol)  early war reconnaissance missions were mostly single.   

Old CFS3 game engine: There is always some doubts about the CFS3 game engine.  If doing WW1 monitor flying there is no substitute for WoFF, believe me the other “modern game engine”  WW1 game, is nothing more then a sterile RoF swap. While we are talking about graphics, I can tell you, despite  this FC game has an more modern game engine,  the clouds, sky dome and the nomans land are still “2009 old style”. Black  ink spots that’s supposed to be impact craters and trenches are hilarious.  The so called 4k plane models are fuzzy made, read your self at the official FC website.  

I’m a big fan of flysims, WW1 specific, only now being infected by VR there is no way going back to the monitor.  I do hope one day OBD does go for WOFF-VR, even its only 1 plane made in VR. Because right now, there is no decent WW1 combat flysim for VR. 

WoFF is a great immersive game and made with respect & love by OBD. 

note:  to be clear here,  this criticism is about FC and not counting for the WW2 BOX series. 

I don't think anyone can deny how good the graphics quality of BH&H2 is now (for the most part)... the way Pol and Shredders keep improving the WoFF series is outstanding...

• Like 1

Never tried VR but I'm absolutely loving BH&H2 with Track IR5. I like the fact I can still access the keyboard to use commands my flightstick doesn't have enough buttons for.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ghostryder said:

Never tried VR but I'm absolutely loving BH&H2 with Track IR5. I like the fact I can still access the keyboard to use commands my flightstick doesn't have enough buttons for.

As a long term trackir and MSFFB2 (8 buttons only) user (with no separate throttle thingy), I have to agree. I'm a simple guy and a casual flyer (basically WW1 exclusively) and take to the skies only when it is convenient or I'm in the mood. So spending gazillions on an expensive high powered rig just to run VR, let alone the expense of the VR headsets doesn't cut it. Or wearing that thing on your head. I like the freedom and lightness of trackir. What's not to love about that.

15 hours ago, Dutch_P47M said:

First great to see activities on WoFF here at CAF,  much better site then the buggy SIMHQ. 

Sorry I have some remarks 

Early war recon missions: By my knows (Cecil Lewis book as an sample in his MS parasol)  early war reconnaissance missions were mostly single.   

Old CFS3 game engine: There is always some doubts about the CFS3 game engine.  If doing WW1 monitor flying there is no substitute for WoFF, believe me the other “modern game engine”  WW1 game, is nothing more then a sterile RoF swap. While we are talking about graphics, I can tell you, despite  this FC game has an more modern game engine,  the clouds, sky dome and the nomans land are still “2009 old style”. Black  ink spots that’s supposed to be impact craters and trenches are hilarious.  The so called 4k plane models are fuzzy made, read your self at the official FC website.  

I’m a big fan of flysims, WW1 specific, only now being infected by VR there is no way going back to the monitor.  I do hope one day OBD does go for WOFF-VR, even its only 1 plane made in VR. Because right now, there is no decent WW1 combat flysim for VR. 

WoFF is a great immersive game and made with respect & love by OBD. 

note:  to be clear here,  this criticism is about FC and not counting for the WW2 BOX series. 

I honestly love FC in VR. I love it for different reasons from why I love WOFF. If FC fights in VR were as intense as WOFF's are I would never put the headset back on! :stars:

I don't think it is fair or proper to pitch them against each other. They are what they are really.

Because we are all individuals there is no sim that will satisfy everyone. Do not have VR but I use AFS2 (Aerofly FS2) as my civilian sim and my bug bear with that is that it takes up so much diskspace. You need terrabytes of space if you want to download all the countries that are supplied and the user made sceneries as well. That sim I have set to run at 120FPS on my laptop and it runs smoothly and I love it. I would have bought the new MSFS offering but I think that like the previous incarnations it is fairly expensive for the base product and mega dollars in the future with various city scape add ons and other third party stuff. I am thinking I do not need to spend any more for new sims or add ons.

BH&H II is great for my WWI fix and AFS2 is good for flying over my house and doing other sightseeing.

Edited by VFC_Baxter

Can't be bothered with VR, it's overpriced, and I'm one of those old duffers that likes to see his controls and keyboard etc... My trackIR still allows me to get immersed in my little flying world. 

2 hours ago, TROOPER117 said:

Can't be bothered with VR, it's overpriced, and I'm one of those old duffers that likes to see his controls and keyboard etc... My trackIR still allows me to get immersed in my little flying world. 

Yeah I come and go with VR. It can be fun but the tech is miles off of being fully developed.

because I've slept w/ an evolving CFS for22 years now and have no wish to change up....if i'd had the skills to participate in development I would have....best I can do is keep the faith,,,,and fuck a duck....it's worth it....

15 years or so for me. On 'n' Off. The duck died long ago.

I am enjoying this sim so much I might brush off my Buttkicker and attach it to my chair again.