Sign in to follow this  
Buffin

3D clouds without flat 2D walls

Hello, WOFF is a very excellent flight simulator from WWI, but the only thing that I think is harmful to him and there is such a flaw in the beauty are the clouds of the 2D wall, the only thing that makes this great simulator (in my opinion) detracts a lot. Will this be addressed in the future? Thank you for answer. 

In the main, the clouds are quite realistic, better than other flight sims I've flown. So WOFF, he is very good at this, particularly for his engines age. But (there is always a but no?),  there are two things that weird me out. The kinda strange flat horizontal clouds that freak out the horizon rendering when flying through them. At least on my rig. And the flickering/disappearing of the 2d dark, storm-like clouds in front of the white fluffies behind when looking around with a head tracker. My supposition is that these anomalies are not easy to fix.

Yes visually I think WOFF is one of the better sims in terms of clouds, but to change from the current engine it would need a 3D volumetric clouds engine and DX11.

Most volumetric clouds in most sims don't look as good as the clouds we have already - that is one problem.  It would take a very cool implementation to make them very realistic.

Edited by Polovski

Me, but I only thought of those 2D surfaces that look like straight cloud walls in all directions, not complete clouds, they are great ...

One of my favorite subtle features  is: 

" (Note: vision acuity varies by skill rating and weather, clouds block view and haze shortens view distance). ". From WoFF manual. 

I love the view flying in the  clouds,   but more important to me is  they can play a tactical role in this sim. - The role of clouds and sighting the enemy first is something most RL first-hand accounts mention consistently.