macelena

Iron Dome and C-Ram

Have we ever discussed the posibility of setting up an integrated air defense system incorporating tech from both? It might be a more evident issue with the latest volley attacks out of Gaza, but I had been thinking about something like that for Seoul for a while. 

• Like 1

Iron Dome is a C-RAM system, and part of the IDFs IADS. they have to take regular short range attacks on home soil into account unlike the other major militaries in the world

it doesnt focus on aircraft and ballistic missiles, rather it Counter Rocket Artillery and Mortars, with the Israeli focus on rockets (a tube is a tube, a box is a box. but artillery pieces and mortars stand out and can get zapped easily before use. probably why Hamas uses rockets so much, easier to hide until the launch)

the genuis in Iron Dome is that it doesnt engage unless there is a high percentage that the incoming round will impact a populated area . and most rockets will go where they want, not the operator, once in flight. the footage of intercepts gets somewhat scarier if you realize that a lower percentage of intercepts are launched vs rounds incoming

As for Seoul, their biggest threat a million artillery tubes (by all accounts not much of an exageration) pointed at them. priority target at the resumption of the Korean War for RoKAF and USAF is those artillery but it will take some time and the capital city will be in a world of hurt that will make the recent saturation attacks seem like a spitwad in grade school.

part i never understood was how a cannon round (in the American system) or warhead is supposed to stop a 105mm or greater shell. as the commercial says, thats not how this works. but the A make the acronym sound cool so i guess that why :dntknw:

• Haha 1

I'm sorry, I meant Iron Dome and the US Centurion-Phalanx, more than anything as a back up layer for those that get through Iron Dome as it is.

Now that you mention it, regarding Arty, I'm not too confident in HEIT-SD rounds going reliably through the case of arty shells, and even if they switch to AP ammo like the Navy they might not detonate them, let alone self-destruct before hitting the ground. 

• Like 1

Thier is now "genius" of Iron Dome. It does not choose protected area or not.

The system is gun. 

Controlled and shot from Batteries. 

That is kinda silly. Me in my Bug 25,000 ft. with GBU-54s... They cant shoot me. 

But I can destroy them.

C-Ramm was a joke. Only five too strart with. But each one had severl generator trucks. 

To power one.

Failed concept.