Sign in to follow this  
VFC_Baxter

Those Bombs Things

Lucky I had my  pilot to invulnerable because in a perfectly timed low level bombing run over a Hun airfield I would have blown myself up. No time delay on the coopers is there. :stars:

I was thinking that it would be good to sneak in at low level whilst they were looking at the rest of my flight doing a high level bombing run. What is the safe minimum altitude to bomb from then? 

You oughtta try bombing a zeppelin loaded up with 16 100kg bombs. :rofl:

Either the 20Lb Hales or the later 25Lb Cooper, were not terribly powerful, most of the weight was actually the casing and fins. So compared to later WWII bombs of a similar weight, the blast radius will be noticeably far less, also dependant on the type of ground they were dropped on ie soft muddy as was standard WWI fare, the blast would have been negligible, if the damn things went off at all that is, I assume the German PUW types were no a lot different. So low level bombing was not as dangerous as it would be in later periods. However I can find little data on the blast effect of Hales/Coopers, they did the job is all I can seem to find, and they were a bit more potent than the grenades they used previously.