Sign in to follow this  
CastelEtzwane

Rear Gunner Blues

I have problems facing rear gunners in BH&H. When I engage a recon aircraft as a lone Hun, I seem to die 75% of the time.

Does anyone else have similar trouble ? Please use this thread to tell us of your experiences in taking on 2-seaters.

I used to be able to sneak up underneath the 2-seater and then pop up for at least one closeup burst before it began to fight back but that does not happen anymore. Instead, it seems as though as soon as I am eligible to be fired upon by the rear gunner,  my aircraft engine is damaged and my pilot becomes wounded. Many times the recon plane banks as I approach under him, giving the gunner an opportunity to give me a broadside.

Two times my pilot has been mortally wounded by the rear gunner as he flew past a two-seater following a head-on pass.

My pilot's ac regularly receives hits on those occasions when he is circling under a two-seater while the two seater is circling overhead in the opposite direction about 100 yds up. That is some mighty goood deflection  shooting, especially without tracers to help guide them !!

Another problem is that the rear guns don't seem to use tracers so I have trouble seeing who the gunner is shooting at. I (think) I used to be able to see tracer when he shot back so I would know whether to evade or press home an attack.

P.S  - My Albatross DVa pilots lives in mortal fear of Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutters.

Is this how things were supposed to be in scout-versus-2-seater confrontations ? Any advice is welcome.

Similar. Check out this video and especially the ranges at the end:

I have been thumped by Rolands repeatedly in this new campaign and they always seem to hit a control cable or fuel tank or something critical. It has always been kind of like that in past WOFFs but the new replay feature gives us some data. This is with the rear guns set to "less accurate"!

I know observers were dangerous in real life, it seems unlikely they were so at such extreme ranges and angles. Maybe this just balances out some of the real world issues that we don't have to contend with, like actually dying, so I don't know how it would be adjusted in a practical way...

I'm finding that you have to get right under them, yank the nose up and give them a good squirt thereabouts the cockpit area before falling/diving away.  If you can't sneak up because they've already spotted you, snipe them if possible in order to wound the rear gunner or kill them.  Another method I've used more recently is to dive directly down -- think upside down T- and not angled.  I still take a lot of damage, nothing like limping home with an engine making strange clanking sounds...or hearing canvas rip while low and slow.  It's just what it is, so if the mission builder still functions make a practice pilot and practice attacks on two-seaters from various altitudes, in various situations (clouds, thick clouds, clear etc).

I've never played a WWI sim where the observers weren't (at some stage) godly marksmen or able to fire from impossible angles through their own craft.  Iircc there was a period of time in another recent WWI air sim where the observers were absolute gods of laser beam accuracy.  The great thing about WOFF is, as RR suggests, you can tone their effectiveness down a bit via the workshop settings.  Have fun!

Setting observer/gunner accuracy to a value of 4, 4.5, or 5 - in JJJ's wonderful MultiMod - also helps to give more varied reactions. Sometimes gunners are excellent that way, sometimes average. I'm getting good, varied results with a value of 5, also 4.5. (Also set rear gunners to "less accurate" in the workshop settings in WOFF.) As well good to try is to reduce the AI guns' effective/precise shooting range to about 300 m (via the MultiMod). In terms of tracers, if you load one of JJJ's tracer mods. via JSGME, you will see tracers coming from rear gunner positions too.

Cheers all,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Added info.

OK thanks for all the answers !

- In the Workshop, my rear gun accuracy was set to Normal so I have now set it to Less Accurate.

- Have now set up JSGME and the tracer mod activated so I saw some tracers from the Breguets my pilot fought in the mission I just flew.

- I have no experience with the MultiMod but I will sure take a look at it now.

- Practicing is a good idea but frustrating since I already have tons of hours of WOFF flying time already. :wink:

If I have this right, if you change the rear gunner accuracy, it also affects friendly two seaters as well...

26 minutes ago, TROOPER117 said:

If I have this right, if you change the rear gunner accuracy, it also affects friendly two seaters as well...

Yes, pretty sure it changes the rear gunner for every aircraft in the sim, including your own.

I agree too.

I recall being able to switch positions with the observer and be the gunner while the AI flew (that was hair-raising at times!) so if one was a relatively decent shot you could make up for the AI set to less accurate.  I haven't tried it in current WOFF.

So here's one that worked better, although I don't know why:

Novice level gunner? Luckily wounded him on the first pass? Was in the sweet spot where he decided blowing his own tail off was more of a threat than me?

Needs more research...:stars:

• Like 1

Well fought action. I was surprised you took your eyes off of him so often. If that was me I would have lost him for sure.  At distance, some of the specks on your goggles were bigger than him. :good:

1 hour ago, VFC_Baxter said:

Well fought action. I was surprised you took your eyes off of him so often. If that was me I would have lost him for sure.  At distance, some of the specks on your goggles were bigger than him. :good:

Thanks,  I don't know what resolution you are working with, but I switched to a 1440p monitor and it seems to have made a big difference in being able to track targets, beyond the use of dots.

So you mean I have to get not only a t16000m stick but also a 1440p monitor? Blast!

And ....

If the mission review records such detail, why can't it record claims correctly?

And ....

Why are they the same chaps at every funeral? I thought I was special. 

:biggrin: