Sign in to follow this  
Eagle114th

Questions about modifying / adding national decal (.tga)?

I am unable to find the tutorial on modifying or replacing national decal.  There are two nations I want to replace decal.  At the same time, there are a few nations I want to add into the game and add their decals too. I can't seem to find the tutorials on it.

So may I ask for the advice on this?

I am working on interesting projects which requires me to do this.  

Cheers!

ok,  for the decal.ini set the decallevel to 0. brief reminder 0 is nations, 1 is units, 2 is serial numbers, and 3 is kills]. the easiest way on a new insignia (or even common one in new skin) is just to name it "nation_Insig" or something similar and the game will force it in.

Im doing that right now with F-15s , naming the insignias insigNB (the early no border version) and insigBlack (the later subdued version). add copies into my decal folder and its done

as for nations in game

keeping it simple, you then want to extract a copy of the nations.ini into your flight folder. the nation entries will look roughly like this

------------------------------------------------------------
[Nation002]
Name=USAF
DisplayName=United States Air Force
Alignment=FRIENDLY
PilotNameList=NamesUSAF.lst
RankList=RanksUSAF.lst
CallsignList=CallsignsUS.lst
Formation.Fighter=USFighter
Formation.Attack=USFighter
Formation.Bomber=USBomber
Formation.Transport=USBomber
Formation.Tank=USTank
Formation.MobileAD=USAD
PilotTrainingStandard=EXCELLENT
GenderRatio=0
DebriefSuccessMusic=DebriefSuccess.wav
DebriefFailMusic=DebriefFail.wav
DebriefKilledMusic=DebriefKilled.wav
SpeechFile=USAFSpeech.cat
SpeechTextFile=USAFSpeechText.cat
Medals=MedalsUSAF.ini
MedalTextFile=MedalsUSAF.str
UseFAC=TRUE
ActiveDate=1948
AlternateDecal=USAF_OLD

---------------------------------------------------------------

if you want to add a new nation then set it for the next entry in the bottom of the ini. for example if i added a new one to mine the sample might look like this

[Nation258]
Name=Atropia
DisplayName=Atropian Air Force

Alignment=FRIENDLY
PilotNameList=NamesRussian.lst
RankList=RanksRussian.lst
CallsignList=CallsignsUS.lst
Formation.Fighter=SovietFighter
Formation.Attack=SovietFighter
Formation.Bomber=SovietBomber
Formation.Transport=SovietBomber
Formation.Tank=SovietTank
Formation.MobileAD=SovietAD
PilotTrainingStandard=NORMAL
GenderRatio=0
DebriefSuccessMusic=DebriefSuccess.wav
DebriefFailMusic=DebriefFail.wav
DebriefKilledMusic=DebriefKilled.wav
SpeechFile=USAFSpeech.cat
SpeechTextFile=USAFSpeechText.str
AlternateDecal=Pineland

other values can change, but he ones in bold are the most common

if you dont have the 3W cat extractor, look around at the mods, many include a nations list ini (all of my airliner mods should) due to things the modders have done with them. they also often have some commonly missing nations like US Army, Dhimar and Paran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

ok,  for the decal.ini set the decallevel to 0. brief reminder 0 is nations, 1 is units, 2 is serial numbers, and 3 is kills]. the easiest way on a new insignia (or even common one in new skin) is just to name it "nation_Insig" or something similar and the game will force it in.

Thank you for the advice!   This helps a lot!  I have one more question about nation_Insig, do I place them in flight folder where the nation.ini is in too? 

when i say "nation_insig" im using a generic name for your tga. it wont do you any good in the flight folder

put that in whatever folder the other decals are going into. in the case if my Eagle work, i put the insignia tgas in the overall F-15A folder, and have unit specific stuff in each of hte unit folders (01_27, 01_71, 5FIS etc)

in the case of the C-130 packs ive been doing, i put the insignia in each nations folder (Spain, Egypt, Libya etc)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

when i say "nation_insig" im using a generic name for your tga. it wont do you any good in the flight folder

put that in whatever folder the other decals are going into. in the case if my Eagle work, i put the insignia tgas in the overall F-15A folder, and have unit specific stuff in each of hte unit folders (01_27, 01_71, 5FIS etc)

in the case of the C-130 packs ive been doing, i put the insignia in each nations folder (Spain, Egypt, Libya etc)

That is noted.  As soon I get new a new out, I'll post it here.  I have been working on designing new decals.  It turns out that I don't only want to design new GUI for SF2, I also want to design new decal and other 2D graphics.  I'll post screenshot as soon I get it working in SF2.

Cheers!

no worries

personal opinion, if you can skin you can work tga. i find it pretty easy, once i set up the template for each project. from there its a matter of fitting the new pieces in, and adjusting opacity.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

no worries

personal opinion, if you can skin you can work tga. i find it pretty easy, once i set up the template for each project. from there its a matter of fitting the new pieces in, and adjusting opacity.

I always wanted to learn how to skin. I am not quite skilled with it yet.  I still need to learn the tricks on how to cut the certain part of the texture and change the colors or paint over it.  What I understand is that it is heavily based on creating the multi layers in gimp 2 or paint.net.  From what I understand about the usage of multi-layers, one of layer for dots and line, another for camo, and next for untouched part like inside, tires, etc.  

You know what, I'll give it a try!  I will look for the tutorials on how to skin aircraft properly. 

Edited by Eagle114th

good to hear!

just remember, like anything its a learning process, and your always learning or rediscovering stuff if youre doing it right.

are you using Photoshop or GIMP?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

good to hear!

just remember, like anything its a learning process, and your always learning or rediscovering stuff if youre doing it right.

are you using Photoshop or GIMP?

Thank you sir!  Your encouraging words are appreciated!

About the software, I am using both GIMP 2 and paint.net.  Which one do you recommend the most? 

Edited by Eagle114th

i am most familiar with GIMP. i used Photoshop in the past, but got in after it went subscription based. therefore i utilize GIMPs greatest feature, its cost! :lol:

i ask because i can give expert advice on GIMP, educated guesses on Photoshop, and couldnt tell you a thing about paint.net

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daddyairplanes said:

i am most familiar with GIMP. i used Photoshop in the past, but got in after it went subscription based. therefore i utilize GIMPs greatest feature, its cost! :lol:

i ask because i can give expert advice on GIMP, educated guesses on Photoshop, and couldnt tell you a thing about paint.net

Your advice on GIMP is much appreciated!  For now, I am thinking on how to start. I want to skin F-100 as a starting aircraft for my big project (Dhimar vs Paran).  I designed new national symbols / flags for them.  Now the next step is to create new skin, and then apply new decals.

I am going to start virtually paint F-100 blue / white camo (Dhimar).  

From what I understand, it is practical to create multi-layers from F-100.   From what I Have learned a bit from past, it is ideal to separate each item on a multi layer: (Always feel free to correct me if I am wrong on anything. )

- rivets / line
- main external parts (separated from internal parts)
- More ideal to also separate upper and lower part for upper and lower camo

Now my questions are , what is the best way to separate each parts from the texture?  that is where I am at now.  May I ask for your advice on this,?

check in the downloads, skins, templates. look for the f-100 template by hgbn. it's bomb! everything is all set up, layer-wise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wrench, the template really helped A LOT!  I am able to only focus on the base skin, then apply another layers on top of it.  This is my very first attempt of creating a new camo for F-100D.  I only created new camo for main body of F-100D. i will work on the wings now.  

img00004

img00006

img00005

• Like 3

I finally understand how F-100D texture is set.  There are two sections of wing (which makes it tricky to merge camo.  So I avoid that for now unless I learn the tricks of doing it. I want to ask for the advice on this part.  

For now, only applied camo on inner wing surface while aligning it with fuselage's camo. (I copied the fuselage camo and pasted as a new layer, then aligned it next to the inenr wing as reference for camo painting.)

It is all thanks to the templates that made this possible.  I am quite happy with how it is looking so far.  I still am working on the tail of F-100D while figuring out how to apply new nation's decal.  (Note: this is in 1024 x 1024 format for now. I'll save it as 2048 at once I am done with the tail area.)

img00001

img00002

img00004

Edited by Eagle114th

I FINALLY did it, I learned how to do the basic camouflage painting (by using spray mode in GIMP),  sorted the layers (Thank to templates), added new items as a new layer, and created new symbols and texts arts as .TGA.

I still need to learn the tricks of combining and aligning camos when applying it on separated sections of wings, like F-100 as an example.  Advice on this is much appreciated, as mentioned above.

By the way, here are screenshots:

(Note: Still in 1024 x 1024 version. I will need to learn how to apply 2048 x 2048 version though.)

img00008

img00009

img00010

img00011

• Like 2

are you using Mue's LOD viewer?

makes life so, so much easier as you can check your skin progress just by refreshing teh  skin choice. also works to view decal work

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daddyairplanes said:

are you using Mue's LOD viewer?

makes life so, so much easier as you can check your skin progress just by refreshing teh  skin choice. also works to view decal work

Sir, thank you. I was thinking about this one.  I haven't tried it yet. I will check it out right away!

While I was working on Dhimar's new skin for F-100D, I was constantly loading the mission in SF2, in order, to check the skin.  That was time-consuming... 

yeah, with the lod viewer at most you have to load the game once  (and depending not even then) for every new skin you add into the aircraft folder.

in my case this weekend, since i knew i was making a dozen skins i created the folders, edited the textureset inis, fired up the game and prompltly exited. boom, all dozen skins were now visible in the LOD viewer

you could just copy and paste into the aircraft ini, but unless youre only adding one skin thats time consuming when you already have to make your edits within the skin folder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

yeah, with the lod viewer at most you have to load the game once  (and depending not even then) for every new skin you add into the aircraft folder.

in my case this weekend, since i knew i was making a dozen skins i created the folders, edited the textureset inis, fired up the game and prompltly exited. boom, all dozen skins were now visible in the LOD viewer

you could just copy and paste into the aircraft ini, but unless youre only adding one skin thats time consuming when you already have to make your edits within the skin folder

May I ask for advice on this?  I am having problems loading .ini Mirage IIIC with LOD viewer.  After trying to load MIrage IIIC .ini, it kept stating "Could not load LOD file: Mirage_III_C.LOD

Is it because SF2 LOD is not shown in directory, due to being locked in SF2?

UPDATE: 
Never mind! I was looking around the setting, saw the part where I need to point program to SF2 main fodler for .cat files.  Now it is working perfectly!  Now I need to learn the commands for changing the view for aircraft.  This is awesome! 

Edited by Eagle114th

3 minutes ago, Eagle114th said:

Now I need to learn the commands for changing the view for aircraft.  This is awesome! 

how do you mean

mouse scroll wheel zooms in and out

alt + mouse movement rotates around axis

shift + mouse moevement moves the object around (front back etc) without rotation

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

how do you mean

mouse scroll wheel zooms in and out

alt + mouse movement rotates around axis

shift + mouse moevement moves the object around (front back etc) without rotation

That is noted.

Using LOD Viewer really saved my time a lot.  I am able to work on Mirage III C new camo and align everything well.   Here is screenshot (WIP) of Paran Mirage IIIC:

img00003

img00004

img00005

img00007

• Like 1

I need advice on this.  There is decal that is not working in SFP2.  Here is codes in decals for the tail:

[Decal001]
MeshName=fuselage_P
DecalLevel=0
DecalFacing=RIGHT
FilenameFormat=Mirage3C\Paran\Paran_Insig
Position=1.50,0.10
Rotation=0.0
Scale=1.0
DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal002]
MeshName=fuselage_P
DecalLevel=0
DecalFacing=LEFT
Position=1.50,0.10
Rotation=0.0
Scale=1.0
DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal003]
MeshName=outer_wing_L
DecalLevel=0
DecalFacing=TOP
Position=-3.00,-3.01
Rotation=0.0
Scale=1.0
DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal004]
MeshName=outer_wing_R
DecalLevel=0
DecalFacing=TOP
Position=3.00,-3.01
Rotation=0.0
Scale=1.0
DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal005]
MeshName=tail
DecalLevel=0
DecalFacing=BOTTOM
Position=0.0,-5.5
Rotation=0.0
Scale=1.0
DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal006]
MeshName=tailfin
DecalLevel=0
DecalFacing=LEFT
FilenameFormat=Mirage3C\Paran\Paran_flag
Position=0.0,-5.5
Position=-5.05,1.63
Rotation=0.0
Scale=1.4
DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal007]
MeshName=tailfin
DecalLevel=0
DecalFacing=RIGHT
FilenameFormat=Mirage3C\Paran\Paran_flag
Position=0.0,-5.5
Position=-5.05,1.63
Rotation=0.0
Scale=1.4
DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal008]
MeshName=rudder
DecalLevel=0
DecalFacing=LEFT
FilenameFormat=RudderStripes
Position=-5.85,1.43
Rotation=0.0
Scale=1.1
DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal009]
MeshName=rudder
DecalLevel=0
DecalFacing=RIGHT
FilenameFormat=RudderStripes
Position=-5.85,1.43
Rotation=0.0
Scale=1.1
DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal010]
MeshName=tail
DecalLevel=2
DecalFacing=RIGHT
FilenameFormat=GenericEuro2Num
Position=-4.80,0.00
Rotation=0.0
Scale=0.8
DecalMaxLOD=2

[Decal011]
MeshName=tail
DecalLevel=2
DecalFacing=LEFT
FilenameFormat=GenericEuro2Num
Position=-4.80,0.00
Rotation=0.0
Scale=0.8
DecalMaxLOD=2

[Decal012]
MeshName=fuselage_front
DecalLevel=0
DecalFacing=RIGHT
FilenameFormat=Mirage3C\Paran\Paran_Name_Insig
Position=4.55,-0.33
Rotation=0.0
Scale=3.0
DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal013]
MeshName=fuselage_front
DecalLevel=0
DecalFacing=LEFT
FilenameFormat=Mirage3C\Paran\Paran_Name_Insig
Position=4.6,-0.33
Rotation=0.0
Scale=3.0
DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal014]
MeshName=tailfin
DecalLevel=0
DecalFacing=LEFT
FilenameFormat=Mirage3C\Paran\RPPAF_Insig
Position=0.0,-5.5
Position=-5.0,1.15
Rotation=0.0
Scale=1.4
DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal015]
MeshName=tailfin
DecalLevel=0
DecalFacing=RIGHT
FilenameFormat=Mirage3C\Paran\RPPAF_Insig
Position=0.0,-5.5
Position=-5.0,1.15
Rotation=0.0
Scale=1.4
DecalMaxLOD=3

// Killmarks
[Decal016]
MeshName=fuselage_P
DecalLevel=3
DecalFacing=LEFT
FilenameFormat=kill
Position=2.50,0.00
Rotation=0.0
Scale=1.0
DecalMaxLOD=3

You can see the codes 006, 007, 014 and 015 for tailfin.  It show up in LODViewer:

But it does not show up in SPF2 (Tailpin)

img00001

What can I do to fix this problem? 

Thank you and cheers. 

Edited by Eagle114th

did you uncheck RLE compression when you exported the tga?

compress.thumb.jpg.abc58f0ca08c749299fab1662f38c795.jpg

when exporting, make sure that box DOES NOT have an "x" in it. happens all the time

if the file size for the affected tga is way smaller than the others, open it, reexport without RLE compression, then close it back out.

this issue will do as youre saying, be visible in lod viewer but not in game

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

did you uncheck RLE compression when you exported the tga?

compress.thumb.jpg.abc58f0ca08c749299fab1662f38c795.jpg

when exporting, make sure that box DOES NOT have an "x" in it. happens all the time

if the file size for the affected tga is way smaller than the others, open it, reexport without RLE compression, then close it back out.

this issue will do as youre saying, be visible in lod viewer but not in game

Yes, I made sure to uncheck RLE compression.  I will re-open it, re-export it without RLE compression again, just to make sure. 

UPDATE: Turns out it still won't work.  I re-exported and made sure "RLE Compression" is unchecked.  It still won't work.  If it is okay, I am uploading the file here, so you can look at the file. _DPE.rar

(NOTE: DPE stands for Dhilar and Paran Expansion)

Edited by Eagle114th

Maybe it doesn't work, because you have "Position=" 2x mentioned for each of the decals 6, 7, 14, 15?

I guess the first one works in SF2, but is "outside" the tailfin (0.0 is in the center of the fuselage I think) and the second statement is ignored.

In LOD-Viewer maybe the second statement isn't ignored and so you'll see the decal, although you have given 2 position-statements for it.

Edited by Nyghtfall
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1