TROOPER117

It's all gone quiet...

After the hectic weeks of the RR Challenge, it's all gone rather quiet... I think the hellish casualty rates and the effects of combat have had a telling effect. 

War is hell!   :fie:

Heh, yeah! I'm on hiatus as I wait for a part to fix the toe break on my rudder pedals, so they are all pulled apart. I was hoping someone would jump on my campaigns/missions thread but...not...yet...

Summer...some people do stuff outside...not me, of course, but some people...so I hear.:no:

I have been messing about with my computer and also busy downloading the user created (IZOJUB) Northern Territory for my Aerofly FS2 (AFS2). The core AFS2 program is about 155 gb so I offloaded it and reinstalled to an external hard drive. It is slower to load but runs just as quickly once scenery has loaded etc. Pleased that WoFF and WoTR are not such giants.

16 hours ago, TROOPER117 said:

After the hectic weeks of the RR Challenge, it's all gone rather quiet... I think the hellish casualty rates and the effects of combat have had a telling effect. 

War is hell!   :fie:

I'm still getting over it Troops. :sad: I'm too overcome with melancholy, depression and anxiety to post. It's all too much. :cry:

• Like 1

Work, work and more work  :censored: has kept me away from the skies lads, I suppose I shouldn’t moan but tbh I’m knackered  :biggrin:. I’ve got a couple of weeks off soon though so I’m hoping to fly a bit more.

I’ve managed to find a bit of time to test a couple of modders improvements to their previous releases and they look very promising indeed. Take care all 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adger said:

Work, work and more work  :censored: has kept me away from the skies lads, I suppose I shouldn’t moan but tbh I’m knackered  :biggrin:. I’ve got a couple of weeks off soon though so I’m hoping to fly a bit more.

I’ve managed to find a bit of time to test a couple of modders improvements to their previous releases and they look very promising indeed. Take care all 

Real life always comes first mate... and good news on the mods, we'll be looking forward to see how it all goes  :imhappy:

• Thanks 1

As an aside to kill time until I get my rudder pedals back up, back in the day, this was the bomb!I

Fly the full war from both sides. Paint your plane one of four exciting colors! We didn't need no HOTAS setup, we had the arrow keys! How do you know with those graphics how close to the ground you are? Well, if you see black dots everywhere, you are pretty close! Flying the Camel almost upside-down in a left-handed turn? That's just what you had to do when using the keyboard for a rudder! And Zeppelins! Zeppelins!!!  Truly amazing and really nothing could fully replace it until WOFF came along! 

• Thanks 1

Ha, the good old RedBaron 1 with the "Piff-Paff"-Explosions! Already in those days with much ideas and with the first feeling of the typical RedBaron-Atmosphere from the subsequent RedBaronsII/3D.

Greetings! 

Edited by Becker04

Ahhh Red Baron. The most iconic and some say the best WWI flying game ever produced. Thanks for the reminder. :-)

Red Baron - Those were the days!   Look how far we have come with the help of OBD

I briefly tried some of those old ww1 flight sims back in the late 90's I think. There were a heap around then and they were on sale like a cheap power ballad so why not. :smile: The graphics, FM and DM were so bad I blamed it on my PC. Not up to scratch I thought. Didn't look anything like the cover. :lol: Since then I've seen many videos of RB and similar WW1 sims of that time. Still absolutely awful so it wasn't my PC. Put me right OFF that genre until OFF phase 1 came along a few years later. Nostalgia's a funny thing ain't it?

Gosh it has gone quiet. Have to talk about something I guess ....

Edited by catch

5 hours ago, catch said:

I briefly tried some of those old ww1 flight sims back in the late 90's I think. There were a heap around then and they were on sale like a cheap power ballad so why not. :smile: The graphics, FM and DM were so bad I blamed it on my PC. Not up to scratch I thought. Didn't look anything like the cover. :lol: Since then I've seen many videos of RB and similar WW1 sims of that time. Still absolutely awful so it wasn't my PC. Put me right OFF that genre until OFF phase 1 came along a few years later. Nostalgia's a funny thing ain't it?

Gosh it has gone quiet. Have to talk about something I guess ....

Yeah, I wouldn't play it now, but it you look at the way it is set up: playing the war all the way through from both sides, medals, promotions and kill tracking, types  of missions, no "story" but what you make as your own pilot, even the nested menu structure; it's a pretty good line through to the (W)OFF series (probably mostly through RBII).

9 minutes ago, NotRelevant said:

To be honest, seems like most people are still back on SimHQ.

That does seem to be the case.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NotRelevant said:

To be honest, seems like most people are still back on SimHQ.

I visit both sites everyday... there will be more like me, be sure.

I remember when OBD had their own website back in the olden times. It was a lotta fun back in those early days of OFF development. Even the winding man got in the act back then! But alas they moved to established sites due to costs, upkeep and stuff. Totally understandable of course. And here we are. And over there too. 

On 7/3/2021 at 7:01 PM, WWI Flying Ace said:

Loved it! The beginning of it all! 😊

This was my first taste of WWI dogfighting:

81bXTxZjSGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CastelEtzwane said:

This was mine:

20210708_181353_rot.thumb.jpg.b0f96b279a9faf0aaab2cb07d8b70817.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 1:05 AM, CastelEtzwane said: