Seeing as the soon to be released Windows 11 no longer supports 32 bit applications are we going to see the SF series finally dissapear ? I know I lot of us will hang on as long as is possible.......maybe this is why TK has'nt given us the Win 10 version, maybe he's making it a 64 bit application after all ?

Who knows ??  :stars:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The speed he's going my bet is Windows 12.

Kids - That's a joke, I'm still a fanboi.

Edited by Spinners
  • Haha 8

where are you reading? what i've read is that MS isnt supporting 32 bit systems anymore not programs. and this has started with Win10 back last year

in any fashion, dont upgrade for free and we still got 4 years supported  (Win10 end of support slated for Oct 2025), but i think we have longer than that

yes, one hopes TK is biding time until 11 is done, then upgrading to that. if not, are you really suprised?

if so, damn it'll be time to buy the White album again

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sundowner said:

Seeing as the soon to be released Windows 11 no longer supports 32 bit applications are we going to see the SF series finally dissapear ? I know I lot of us will hang on as long as is possible.......maybe this is why TK has'nt given us the Win 10 version, maybe he's making it a 64 bit application after all ?

Not true, Windows 11 will support 32 bit applications for compatibility reasons (Microsoft isn't going to kill itself), it's just that Windows 11 is only made for 64 bit processors and so there won't be a 32 bit version of the OS. My old PC is from 2011 and it already had a 64 bit processor back then. I really see no point in creating a new 32 bit OS these days.

If TK is really working on a Win10 update, the coming of Win11 changes nothing; that update was about bringing the game to DirectX 12 and surely to be 64bit; Win11 is not changing anything in this regard (surely there will be a DirectX 13 in the future, but the base of Win11 is DirectX 12). DirectStorage is a new addition worth having a look at, but I doubt TK has the resources and willingness to add that. I'm not concerned at all about the future of the series. I can still play games from the late 90s on Win10, with due graphics wrappers and tweaks. Some of those very old games even had 16 bit installers, and there are ways to circumvent this (you cannot run 16 bit executables on 64 bit OS).

What I'm truly worried about is that my old desktop PC won't support all the new minimum requirements of Win11, so I'll have to stick with Win10. At least on my work laptop I'll be able to check how the new OS will be.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Menrva said:

What I'm truly worried about is that my old desktop PC won't support all the new minimum requirements of Win11, so I'll have to stick with Win10. At least on my work laptop I'll be able to check how the new OS will be.

reading up this morning, its only supporting 8th gen and higher Intel, similar vintages AMD (didnt pay AMD specs as much mind as i have a personal irrational preference to intel).

• Haha 1

To be fair, I wasn't sure SF2W10 would ever come about, leaning more towards no. I guess a 20 year old sim is already pushing some limits, specially if it was not profitable 10 years ago  and the attempt to finance the update failed, but to be honest I would miss the game a lot to be very reasonable.

Edited by macelena

As Menrva states.not seeing any change...............Windows 64 bit OSs have been running 32 bit applications in a kind of 64 bit emulation (WoW64) for years so probably nothing to worry about but looks like we might get to try it this year as a free upgrade.

The final two sections on this video are useful regarding specs and requiring switching on TPM chips to run....and Win 10 is currently supported to 2025 at least.

• Like 2

Ahhh, yes my bad. I misunderstood the 32 bit thing......old age..:good:

• Haha 1

As far as I know gents - SF2 is a 64-bit program already (edit: see follow-up post two posts below this one). FE2 on the other hand is 32-bit. (No problems running FE2 on my 64-bit Win10 install, by the way - so, theoretically, all should be well in this Win11 thing that some may upgrade to.)

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Added info.

45 minutes ago, VonS said:

As far as I know gents - SF2 is a 64-bit program already.

I assure you, it is not. The latest executable is dated 2013, but SF2 is from 2009 and 64 bit programs weren't the norm back then. There's only one executable and it's 32 bit. TK was not that crazy to provide just a 64-bit only executable when most people wouldn't even have 64 bit processors back then, let alone the OS. If TW ever produced a 64 bit executable, now I would have a choice between StrikeFighters2.exe and StrikeFighters2_x64.exe, which is not the case here.

You're probably confusing the fact that SF2 fully supports DirectX 10 with proper shaders, while FE2 does not; it was left in such a state with a last patch dated 2010, IIRC.

Edited by Menrva
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Menrva for the clarification. I was confusing the "large address space" hack with true 64-bit. Apparently SF2, while 32-bit, received the large address space tweak some time ago, to allow access to more than 3.25 approx. GB of system memory - FE2 never received such a tweak officially, I think, but the tweak may be applied using the "4GB Patch" available on the internet. Thus my confusion and thinking that SF2 is 64-bit, which it never was.

An old, relevant thread here:

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/80572-4-gb-patch/

What I've always wondered is if the large address space tweak to a 32-bit app gives us an approximation of a "48-bit app" - interesting link below for those who like such questions:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-there-no-48-Bit-operating-systems

EDIT: Apparently, SF2 is "large address space aware" since the May 2012 patch, by default. For FE2, recommended instead is application of the "4GB Patch" (link included to that in my "Read Me" notes for my big FM/realism update pack for FE2 - but can also be found using a Google search).

Cheers all,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Added info.
  • Like 1

In my opinion, the problem is not (or will not) be Windows... the problem is the lack of follow-up of the Thirwire project (W10 SF2), TK no longer communicates ! :hi:

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Coupi said:

In my opinion, the problem is not (or will not) be Windows... the problem is the lack of follow-up of the Thirwire project (W10 SF2), TK no longer communicates ! :hi:

I totally agree with you. 

• Like 4

I really hate to say this. But. I Think SF-2 is over.

Even though. I still piddle around with mods. I still know it is awesome.

Only place for Korea or Vietnam. Or anything! But. 

The luster has worn off. 

So many pro level talented people have contributed so much awesome stuff.

But it seems we are all "chained to a corpse."

I play IL-2. Constantly now. But when I go back to my " old girlfriend," SF-2... She is fun. but...

:biggrin:

There is no reason why this thing can't get better from the source. 

you'd think TK would at least say something on the 3W discord site.  But ????

So far i haven't seen anything by him the last time I was there (yesterday).

I thought Win 10 was suppose to be a continuously adapted OS via updates. No more version numbers making things blanket obsolete.

2 hours ago, KJakker said:

I thought Win 10 was suppose to be a continuously adapted OS via updates. No more version numbers making things blanket obsolete.

'Was', being the operative word there. That was their intention until they changed their minds back in 2019 or whenever it was.

Let's be honest here, MS knew well that wasn't going to be true. New advancements in technology dictate new operating systems.

Besides, Win11 is a free update, so consider it an extension of Win10. They have a lot of reasons to name it Win11, both for marketing and security issues. The number of changes is massive, and to have it named Win10 would only confuse the market. You can install Win11 only on newer processors, not on old crappy hardware which is affected by severe security vulnerabilities. Windows is not just for home computers, and MS does not need companies complaining about any breaches which could be unrelated to the OS.

Seriously, I complained about MS a lot of times in the past, but so far they're doing common sense moves. I'm actually intrigued by what Win11 brings to the table, both as a consumer and as a programmer.

• Like 2

Just got into the SF2 series and like it for a jet sim.Still mainly into WWII air combat sims (some pretty old ) but the market is thin. Got into SF2 as something different and really like that it can be modded. Some of my favorite air combat sims were a trick just to get them running with win 10. Will keep them on win10 os and get another pc for win 11 if need be.  Regards,Scott

Gents, as long as the download center and their bank count are working, it's a sign that they're alive.

• Haha 2

I'm betting Windows 11 is a flop, since going back to WinXP every other addition of Windows (Vista, 8) has been. So I'm expecting support for Windows 10 -as it was for XP and 7- will be extended; probably at least out to 2015. I'm not trying to be cynical, just an accurate observer of history.

Edited by Arrow

2015?

might want check what year we're in now!! :lol:

but, truthfully, i'm sure MS will find a way to screw us up (sticking with 7 a long as possible)