All I'm stating is fairly known , but just to explain what I'm thinking about

Right after WW2, a few variants of aircraft designed in Nazi Germany were produced by other companies, such as Avia in Czechoslovakia or CASA in Spain. 109s with Jumo, Hispano or Rolls Royce engines, and even Me-262s as the Avia S-92, although on a small scale. Willy Messerschmitt himself still worked in aircraft for Hispano Aviacion while he couldn't in Germany.

So the What-If story i came about is, What about a license built improved version of the 262 in some other country? I was thinking, powered by J34s,bubble canopy, stabilators, probably 20mm Hispanos, and perhaps, pushing it too much or for later upgrades, radar computing gunsights.

How do you reckon it would perform?

• Like 1

The soviet Su-9 from 1947 was influenced by the Me-262.

60d5e20eb811e_Su-91947.jpg.d6e4917449cd867ef3f7b7fa53286fcd.jpg

• Like 4

you know i liked the idea, although i always thought more in terms of a set of tooling for the Schwalbe was "found" allowing West Germany to build its air force back up quickly. found or maybe bought from Avia, who knows. not advanced like you propose other than using English or American engines as the Jumo were garbage

politically, it would have never happened, at least not when the Me262 was a viable airframe. the Aillies were reluctant at first to allow the Germans to equip more than a police force let alone even an obsolete air force. once it became more convienent to allow them to rearm, better still to have them buy English or American than to have the industrial base to go making war again.

so if youre going to move forward with a Schwalbe Fenix, scale back some. same airframe, but with say with J33s (should have fit in the engine pods fine being smaller in diameter and length than the Jumos) and Hispano 20mms in place of the original 30mm (ok,s in agreement there).

to keep it fairly realistic, the changes to the basic aircraft should be minimal and this should probably be taking place in 1948-49, right after the airlift. the tech and airframe design was too advanced by the time of the Luftwaffes rebirth in 1955 to consider the 262.

just my zwei pfenning, love alt history but hate the alien space bats so i try to keep it realistic (what one small thing changed or why did they go the other route?)

just to get mind racing sideways, i also always thought about Avia selling Paran the tooling for their C92s,  and Paran using them for some years as fighter bombers!

edit: yes i know the Jumos wer garbage due to wartime conditions and material restrictions. but once a piece of equipment has a reputation, it take a long time to shake.

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Like 2

for SF2, we've had the S-92 for quite a number of years.

I'd also recommend looking up the IJAAF's Ki-201 Karyu (sp?) of (almost) WW2

• Like 1

i just thought of something, given whois askin.....

youre not thinking of something like a HA-1262 are you?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

i just thought of something, given whois askin.....

youre not thinking of something like a HA-1262 are you?

It was one of the ideas, after the 1953 agreements to clear the export of the engines, but also some sort of Super Avia 92 for the IDF and some interim fighter for, say, France, they had a handful of former German gear and could have used some tooling to rebuild industry after the war.