catch

Thrustmaster T16000M

I'm a pretty casual flight simmer (and only WW1/WW2) so don't need all the bells and whistles, just a stick and pedals with no separate throttle thing. My old MSFFB2 is still going strong but its lack of buttons and FFB issues with bh&h2 has led me to seek a new stick. I'm pretty well set on the T16000m which seems a good accurate stick with plenty of buttons, a weighty base for tabletop, good tension and at a good price. I'll be the thrust master, I tell the missus, but she just laughs whilst batting her eyes at the postie as he passes.

But before the purchase, and as I'm not getting a separate throttle, how accurate and smooth is the throttle on the stick? Everything else looks good.

It has a short throw (travel distance). Works great for what you are looking for, I did struggle a bit with really fine-tuning my speed in Falcon BMS for refueling, but works fine for everything else. My buddy has the throttle quadrant and I have no problem rolling with him. I used it for all twelve of my challenge missions in the SE5a and never felt like I needed something more. It handled subtle changes fine. I will probably get the throttle quadrant eventually, but as a lefty, I have been slow to adopt...

Overall, I found the spring tension to be much better than the old AV8R Saitek stick I had before. Don't forget to disable the rudder twist in WOFFkeys though or you may be in for an unpleasant surprise!

Thanks Rick. Yeah I'll be disabling the rudder twist, same as I did with the MSFFB2, coz I got pedals. Really old Saitek's but they do the job okay. You can't go back to the twist anyway once you got pedals.

The throttle control on the stick is my only worry. It just looks a bit awkward to me but I'll get used to it.

4 hours ago, Rick Rawlings said:

I used it for all twelve of my challenge missions in the SE5a and never felt like I needed something more

So it had nothing to do with that tree walking out and smacking you in the face lol? Never mind, I got speared by my collapsing undercarriage and then burnt to death. Both rather ignoble endings. But probably closer to reality than we think. :wink:

I have a T16000M for WOFF, BoX, SF2 ... and it is perfectly ok and sensitive enough

I have the T16000M, but I have the throttle quadrant too and an old set of Saitek rudder pedals.  I really like the throttle quadrant because I have just about everything I need assigned to a button or hat  between the quadrant and stick. It makes it handy because you can use the slider on the stick for mixture control.  When using it with WOTR I even have the propeller pitch adjustment set to the knob on the left end of the quadrant.

Mike

jeanba, Burning Beard thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. It's settled, I'll order the stick next week. Seems to be the best bang for your buck to me.

But oh my Lord BB now you got me considering the throttle quadrant! I can see the advantage in WWII sims especially given that OBD will (I presume) begin the next phase of WotR soon. I'll think about it over the weekend and see if I can find any good deals. Money's a wee bit tight right now ....

23 minutes ago, catch said:

jeanba, Burning Beard thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. It's settled, I'll order the stick next week. Seems to be the best bang for your buck to me.

But oh my Lord BB now you got me considering the throttle quadrant! I can see the advantage in WWII sims especially given that OBD will (I presume) begin the next phase of WotR soon. I'll think about it over the weekend and see if I can find any good deals. Money's a wee bit tight right now ....

...and they have been kind of hard to come by lately. I have pretty much committed to getting one eventually, just have to give up on the whole fly with the left hand, click cockpit buttons with the mouse in the right hand good thing I have going... (Falcon BMS clicking buttons, not WOFF, of course!)(I also acknowledge that many of those clickable buttons could be sent to the throttle quadrant thus ameliorating the problem to a large degree...)

I have the Thrustmaster T.16000M flightstick + TWCS throttle.

Not only can you map about 10 keys to the throttle, it also has a rudder pedal shaped like outstretched wings just beyond where you normally rest your fingers over the keys (the throttle, which you wrap your hand around, has keys built into them. And just beyond where the fingers are resting is the rudder wing). I use the pedal wing instead of foot pedals and it works great.

My main complaint with the throttle is that instead of sliding smoothly, it sticks and so requires a good push to get going. Before I got used to it, I sometimes pushed the whole device 6 inches forward instead of just the throttle.

Btw it was too much trouble to get TrackIR where I live so I use a headtracking app on my Android phone called Smooth Track. Used in conjunction with OpenTrack, it is very cheap and does a great job !!

You don't have to wear anything on your head or body in order to use Smooth Track.

1 hour ago, CastelEtzwane said:

You don't have to wear anything on your head or body in order to use Smooth Track.

image.png?w=500&c=1

• Haha 2

I like to keep my trackir hat on though. :smile: Otherwise yeah baby! Woohoo anything goes!

Edit: Pic removed. Erik.

4 hours ago, CastelEtzwane said:

My main complaint with the throttle is that instead of sliding smoothly, it sticks and so requires a good push to get going. Before I got used to it, I sometimes pushed the whole device 6 inches forward instead of just the throttle.

Dammit! I've read a few reviews saying the same thing. Bugger, I'll just get the stick without throttle before anyone else comes along to change my mind ....