Sign in to follow this  
Dutch_P47M

DCS WW2, question to the BoX/DCS/VR users

I want to give DCS a go, but only, if compared to the BoX series from 1C I clearly can see the better graphics while using VR. Not at the outside of the plane as I always fly in VR but more thinking of a better cockpit and more 3D detail of the (damaged) wings view, clouds, skydome, reducement of all the shimmer & jaggies you usually see in BoX. 
Did a search on youtube and did found a lot, only all very ancient, before the 2.7 update and not related to DCS-VR.  
So my question is, if I wanting to go a step higher then BoX-VR in eye-candy, is DCS-VR the right WW2 combat flysim or is it more a less the same graphics. 

Further, I wanting to know can DCS run on a AMD 6800XT, at full potential or is like in BOX a no go, because BOX is right now not being optimized for the new AMD RDNA2 6000 cards.  

Can I compare the Free2play on steam to what I actually see in payware, because I found the Free2play (tryout a year ago) a bit disappointing, by its vintage 2010 look.

There is no difference between the download and the real thing. But DCS is a huge moving target. The graphics are constantly improving and the newer terrains leverage those improvements a lot better than the reworked old terrain. If it has been awhile since you tried it, install the open beta version, find and install the latest A-4E-C Skyhawk free mod, and join the others flying in the "Vietnam" server from carriers and/or land bases. But to really enjoy carrier ops, you need the Super Carrier payware DLC that is the best carrier operations you can experience in a PC sim. The problem I am having is that somewhere along the way in the last two patches since they added the new clouds, my VR performance has dropped off horribly using the HP Reverb G2. The G2 headset has the best clarity, which is a real plus in DCS for seeing the cockpit gauges, digital displays, and control labels. Originally, VR dogfighting was almost impossible because you couldn't see the enemy until they were very close. But even without any kind of icons turned on, you can see aircraft as dots at decent distances.

Despite being free, the A-4E-C is more complete and far better than many of the payware modules. For zero cost you get a carrier capable clickable cockpit aircraft with only a handful of problems caused by not being a licensed third party project.

1 hour ago, Dutch_P47M said:

So my question is, if I wanting to go a step higher then BoX-VR in eye-candy, is DCS-VR the right WW2 combat flysim or is it more a less the same graphics. 

Can I compare the Free2play on steam to what I actually see in payware, because I found the Free2play (tryout a year ago) a bit disappointing, by its vintage 2010 look.

Have you seen this new free to play thing?

• Like 1

No, the F2P from Steam was a  Russian jet and a race Mustang, but it didn’t impress me.