Hi everyone,

I was wandering: can you air refuel in SF2?

I've seen some pics of it and some days ago i accidentaly pressed a combo of buttons that made me open my refuelling hole in the F-16.

I've also played some missions where you can find some fighters gathering around a tanker...

So, can you?

And if yes, what do i have to do to have the air refuelling section inside a mission? is the tanker random?

And lastly, what do i have to press to open refuelling hole/extend refuelling probe inside my plane?

Thank you a lot for answering and heloping me guys :smile:

Air refueling does not exist in SF2; by design the game features scaled terrains which are roughly 60% of their Real World size.

Modders had fun creating animations of refueling probes etc. for addon aircraft including tankers, but tankers are treated just like any other transport aircraft of the game, meaning that they never spawn flying in game generated missions, aside from campaigns where that may happen.

Beating a dead horse here, air refueling is not a thing in this game and never will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Menrva said:

Air refueling does not exist in SF2; by design the game features scaled terrains which are roughly 60% of their Real World size.

Modders had fun creating animations of refueling probes etc. for addon aircraft including tankers, but tankers are treated just like any other transport aircraft of the game, meaning that they never spawn flying in game generated missions, aside from campaigns where that may happen.

Beating a dead horse here, air refueling is not a thing in this game and never will.

oh ok, that's a shame

so those screenshots i've seen are just "not real"?

and so if tankers cannot refuel, they're there just for aesthetic and do nothing?

so the refuelling probe/refuelling hole buttons are useless?

and even if they are, what are the buttons to open refuelling probe/refuelling hole?

Thx

It was possible, it required very specific editing and was super finicky to get to work, but it could be done in the long, long ago times. Around a decade ago (maybe longer), from what I can remember, it was possible to set a positive fuel state with a specific throttle setting by editing the fuel consumption setting for the engines in an aircraft's ini file. There are others more adept than myself who could explain how it worked, but it's a moot point because TK patched it out around 2011/12ish, possibly earlier. I can't remember if it was something that was carried over to the SF2 series, but I know for it was possible in the first generation series because there were some Yankee Air Pirates missions that included it...

...I think. I mean, it was a long-ass time ago and I can barely remember sh*t I did yesterday.  Either way, if IFR is something you're looking for, you'll have to look somewhere other than the SF series.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SayWhatt said:

It was possible, it required very specific editing and was super finicky to get to work, but it could be done in the long, long ago times. Around a decade ago (maybe longer), from what I can remember, it was possible to set a positive fuel state with a specific throttle setting by editing the fuel consumption setting for the engines in an aircraft's ini file. There are others more adept than myself who could explain how it worked, but it's a moot point because TK patched it out around 2011/12ish, possibly earlier. I can't remember if it was something that was carried over to the SF2 series, but I know for it was possible in the first generation series because there were some Yankee Air Pirates missions that included it...

...I think. I mean, it was a long-ass time ago and I can barely remember sh*t I did yesterday.  Either way, if IFR is something you're looking for, you'll have to look somewhere other than the SF series.

oh i got it

well the SF series is my favorite and everything is perfect in SF2 imho

i just had this doubt if it was possible or not, but that's not that bad honestly

i don't care of air refuelling that much so

thank you btw

welcome, to the wonderful world of eyecandy..... :lol:

still it can be fun if you have mission editor to set a tanker on an hour long orbit as sonme point along your route, form up and pretend to tank

• Like 2

On 01/07/2021 at 10:18 AM, JamesWilson said:

Hi everyone,

I was wandering: can you air refuel in SF2?

I've seen some pics of it and some days ago i accidentaly pressed a combo of buttons that made me open my refuelling hole in the F-16.

I've also played some missions where you can find some fighters gathering around a tanker...

So, can you?

And if yes, what do i have to do to have the air refuelling section inside a mission? is the tanker random?

And lastly, what do i have to press to open refuelling hole/extend refuelling probe inside my plane?

Thank you a lot for answering and heloping me guys :smile:

Nope, you can't, those images are nice but just for the show.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UllyB said:

Nope, you can't, those images are nice but just for the show.

Oh i see

And you know what are the buttons to extend refuel probe/open refuel hole?

Cause i opened it once on the F-16 and i don't know what i pressed

Thanks

On 2/7/2021 at 3:02 AM, daddyairplanes said:

welcome, to the wonderful world of eyecandy..... :lol:

still it can be fun if you have mission editor to set a tanker on an hour long orbit as sonme point along your route, form up and pretend to tank

nah it does not matter to me a lot air refueling so i'll pass over it

16 hours ago, JamesWilson said:

Oh i see

Thanks

Different models have different buttons depending on which animation slot the model maker used. You should read the readme.

Or use a fixed refuelling probe like on the A-6!

gallery_3408_1185_70889.jpg

img00014

img00023

img00021

As others have said, you can't actually refuel but you can practice flying close to a tanker and immersing yourself in the storyline of the mission you're flying.

And take some nice screenshots too please..

img00002

img00169.JPG

img00039

img00005

img00032

img00041.JPG

img00018.JPG

img00019.JPG

Edited by allenjb42
  • Like 11

That's great!

Thank you a lot man, i'll check the read me's then

And amazing screenshots btw :ok:

Did you just fly close to them or also something else? Looks like the refueling boom is extended in the Eagle pics

And do booms have collisions or did you just pause the game when it looked fine to you?

Thx again

the booms come down at a preset airspeed, set withing the data ini. i had to lower it on the KC-135 to make it look ok when putting the basket on the probe (for NATO and Navy)

and hitting the boom is the same in game as hitting anyother part of the plane, rather strongly discouraged. pausing is the reccomended way to go.

allen has a whole thread on that topic, and is a bit better than me at getting close for the most realistic shots

• Thanks 1

Yes. Pause when you’re ready to take you screenshots (I have a button mapped on my joystick so I can concentrate on getting a good position on the tanker) and then hit either F12 and/or altD to get rid of any captions, get a good angle and take a screenshot.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

the booms come down at a preset airspeed, set withing the data ini. i had to lower it on the KC-135 to make it look ok when putting the basket on the probe (for NATO and Navy)

and hitting the boom is the same in game as hitting anyother part of the plane, rather strongly discouraged. pausing is the reccomended way to go.

allen has a whole thread on that topic, and is a bit better than me at getting close for the most realistic shots

oh so you tweaked the files to make the boom lower?

6 hours ago, allenjb42 said:

Yes. Pause when you’re ready to take you screenshots (I have a button mapped on my joystick so I can concentrate on getting a good position on the tanker) and then hit either F12 and/or altD to get rid of any captions, get a good angle and take a screenshot.

nice

Thank you man

53 minutes ago, JamesWilson said:

oh so you tweaked the files to make the boom lower?

that make the boom lower. it already did that base on the animation the original modeler did and the entry calling out in the data ini

it operates automatically lowering at a given airspeed.

I lowered the value of that airspeed so it lowered shortly after takeoff. this was due to how the drogue  assembly goes on the boom (i also did a lot of constant code edits to place it)

essentially the hose sitss underground during take off, then the boom lowers and fits where the drogue is hanging out in space. not hte best solution, but a viable workaround.

• Thanks 1

With the right know how..............IT CAN BE DONE! :good::ok: BRAVO!

MODDER's ROCK!

Edited by NIELS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2021 at 9:58 AM, JamesWilson said:

Oh i see

Thanks

Planes that have that nice boom pipes have certain keyboard keys, see the plane animation in LOD viewer or the animation declarations in its dataini file.

The other ones that have fuel probes have , as well, special key combination or keys. usually the author let them to be known in the plane's presentation sheet.

Edited by UllyB

21 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

that make the boom lower. it already did that base on the animation the original modeler did and the entry calling out in the data ini

it operates automatically lowering at a given airspeed.

I lowered the value of that airspeed so it lowered shortly after takeoff. this was due to how the drogue  assembly goes on the boom (i also did a lot of constant code edits to place it)

essentially the hose sitss underground during take off, then the boom lowers and fits where the drogue is hanging out in space. not hte best solution, but a viable workaround.

oh thanks man

2 hours ago, UllyB said:

Planes that have that nice boom pipes have certain keyboard keys, see the plane animation in LOD viewer or the anilation declration in its dataini file.

The other ones that have fuel probes have , as well, special key combination or keys. usually the author let them to be known in the plane's presentation sheet.

i see

thanks you man