Sign in to follow this  
Carter28

WOE/WOV Vet Finally Getting Into SF2

Hello all.

After all these years i finally decided to make the jump into SF2. Still having a blast with WOV Gold and NF packs + mods WOE but i figure since i finally got a Win10 computer, i might as well upgrade.  It should be no big deal but as we all know with the Gen1 series, it takes a bit of work to get everything together in the right order. So as i begin looking through the forum here, i thought it would be a good idea to ask about the initial setup as well as the usual patches and their order as well as what the popular basic mods are before i pick up the actual sim.

Thanks in advance.

if you can still get it from 3rd Wire, buy the full package set (about $100 usd)

it has all 5 games (SF2, SF2:E, SF2:V, SF2:I, SF2:NA, 2 expansions (one for isreal the other europe) and all 29 DLCs NA (NorthAtlantic) while the IcelandNA terrain sucks, it brings full carrier operations to the games

you really can't go wrong that way, and you don't have to futz around with trying to convert 1stGens to SF2 -- we've pretty much got that all covered already.

Ok i went to Third Wire and saw it. The complete collection for windows 7. After i take care of things in an hour or so i'll pick it up and take a look through the files. 

and, i forgot to mention, as others here will say, it works just fine on Win10, too

Picked it up and got it installed. Had to fight off the MS security measures but it got done. Checked out the campaigns and saw the familiar vanilla info so all was fine there. I don't have a joystick installed yet but i just put the F4 on autopilot in instant action and had a look around. Outstanding on the eyes. So it looks like now it's just a matter of getting the WOV Gold, NATO Fighters series, ODS and some minor effects i got used to in Gen1. I noticed DiD didn't get very far here. That's how i fly all my campaigns so perhaps when i'm used to SF2 i'll post something there.  In Gen1 at the moment I'm in an A-4 and am at 39 missions completed IIRC. 

I hate to come off like i'm completely dense but i'm stuck with the WOV at virtually the beginning.  I got rid of everything, reinstalled, searched everywhere and i can't locate "Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam Mod Folder" , "Saved Games" or anything along those lines. I have all four of parts of Gold Ready but can't find readily find where the files and folders would go. Perhaps it a Win10 thing i'm running into?    

c:users/saved games

OK thank, i found it. I just started again then suspected i made an error so to be safe i'm going to reinstall again to make sure everything is really ready. Also took all the rar. files and re extracted them again to make it a clean start.

I'll look at threads and things and try again perhaps in a few hours. Went at it twice more with no joy. Last time i ran into something like this was installing all the MEKTEK packs for Mechwarrior4Mercs correctly. 

Ok, I started three placeholder campaigns and ran first missions and then double checked everything before placing every folder in place. The campaigns and aircraft came up and so it's all good. Later on today i'll get a joystick set up and give it some testing. Bit disappointed that the B-26K isn't in Steel Tiger anymore but there's plenty other planes to fly. As i never once did WOI it's more than likely where i will begin flying combat. With all the gee whiz jets, i'm partial taking the P-51D into battle. Thanks for the assistance in getting things going.

you need more help, just ask. 

6 hours ago, Carter28 said:

Ok, I started three placeholder campaigns and ran first missions and then double checked everything before placing every folder in place. The campaigns and aircraft came up and so it's all good. Later on today i'll get a joystick set up and give it some testing. Bit disappointed that the B-26K isn't in Steel Tiger anymore but there's plenty other planes to fly. As i never once did WOI it's more than likely where i will begin flying combat. With all the gee whiz jets, i'm partial taking the P-51D into battle. Thanks for the assistance in getting things going.

I f you hae vietnam mod in multiple packs by eburger , the b-26K should be in Steel Tiger and flyable

6 hours ago, Canadair said:

I f you hae vietnam mod in multiple packs by eburger , the b-26K should be in Steel Tiger and flyable

Just checked the Squadron List and Single Mission aircraft, they weren't there. I'll take care of in time. I've spent years flying WOE/WOV but never once had WOI, so that's going to be my primary focus for now.

Went into WOI and was surprised how intense it was. Flying the Mustang is a tricky proposition but i'm putting it all on the back burner for now. I discovered the custom campaigns and am now beginning to fly a tour in the RF-101C over N. Vietnam. I imagined that for a long time but couldn't pull it off on my older Gen-1 machines.  

On 7/6/2021 at 9:12 PM, Carter28 said:

Hello all.

After all these years i finally decided to make the jump into SF2. Still having a blast with WOV Gold and NF packs + mods WOE but i figure since i finally got a Win10 computer, i might as well upgrade.  It should be no big deal but as we all know with the Gen1 series, it takes a bit of work to get everything together in the right order. So as i begin looking through the forum here, i thought it would be a good idea to ask about the initial setup as well as the usual patches and their order as well as what the popular basic mods are before i pick up the actual sim.

Thanks in advance.

And I who believed that I was the last one who made this step. Welcome to the club friend. LOL

PS - As Wrench instructed, pay attention , in the KB, especially about how to move your installation to another partitions, in order to block the tendency of the game to return to the default settings, bringing default planes , paintjobs etc back, making you wondering why the hell are they still here if I already deleted them. :) It would save you a lot of headaches. There is a tutorial , a very good one, written by MIGBuster.

Edited by UllyB
  • Like 1

It took me a while, as well as assistance from Wrench, but i have everything set for now. The final hassle was my joystick but i moved a lot of things on my computer and it all works like a charm now. I began flying WOI but stumbled across the Custom Campaign feature and am currently doing a DiD campaign flying an RF-101. At least the great thing about being so late to SF2 is that all the nastiest bugs have been worked out by now! Hope to do a lot of flying in the future.

Happy hunting and don't be a stranger! When you need help come out in the open and fire it up! :)

• Like 1