Chugster

Strike Fighters 2 vs War Thunder jets?

So I keep looking at the higher tiers of War Thunder, with their Phantoms and other nice jets and I wonder if its worth grinding them out.

I know its not a proper sim but neither is SF2. War Thunder does look better but what is the complexity level compared to SF2?

In my opinion, War Thunder is much less complex compared to SF2. Most of the cockpit instruments don't even work in WT.

• Like 1

I would play WT, and did with tanks a few years ago, but i can't stand the grinding. I would also prefer a little more historical context over the way it is now, as oriented for MP balanced competition, but the models look great and there is a bit of soft realism. To be honest, I just envy some of the aircraft they have been getting for the Cold War era. Having stock flyable F-86s, F-5s and F-104s, let alone all the commie stuff, would have been great. Not that it is so much of an issue with mods, anyway. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chugster said:

I wonder if its worth grinding them out.

You can play SF2, Ace Combat, Project Wingman, Vector Thrust, et al with gorgeous looking Phantoms with various degrees of complexity now,

*OR*

You could spend the next month grinding 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, battling ping, lag, rubberbanding and dodgy players who never run out of ordinance and never seem to die to see what WT has on offer on either side of their paywall.

Entirely up to you dude, we're not going to judge either way. Personally, I'd like to give WT a crack, but our flash new whizz-bang (and strategically knobbled) $60 billion dollar broadband service here in Oz has only just reached 1992-era levels of latency, so it'll continue to be a what-if for most of us here for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SayWhatt said:

... but our flash new whizz-bang (and strategically knobbled) $60 billion dollar broadband service here in Oz has only just reached 1992-era levels of latency, so it'll continue to be a what-if for most of us here for the foreseeable future.

I know Mad Max is a big thing down there, but perhaps you guys should take it down a notch or two. 

• Like 1

War Thunder has a very nice selection of planes and tanks. And the damage models are cool too. I've played my fair share, but grinding like that is not something I have any interest in doing anymore (I feel old saying that!) Stopped playing World of Tanks and World of Warships for the same reason. These games make it so easy to put your money into as well. It's horrifying how much money some people have put into these games. The WT community is also, how do I put this..."interesting"

And then there's SF2 which, ok let's be honest it's ancient, but it just feels so right.

Edited by Viggen
  • Like 1

Don't bother... it's a spaghetti coded bugfest that will drain your will to live... starting now it would take months to get to things like the Phantom, it's just not worth the time or effort.

Low/Mid Tier stuff can be fun, if for no other reason than it allows to blow off some steam vs other players rather than AI... just a pity MP got axed from the TW series.... WT is a very poor substitute for what could have been.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 12:35 PM, Viggen said:

The WT community is also, how do I put this..."interesting"

hmm like the Brit Officer that posted classified documents to prove a point about hte Challenger

i mean when Gaijin steps in to say "this is illegal and were taking it off our site"..... at the prompting of the MoD

On 7/17/2021 at 7:41 PM, macelena said:

I know Mad Max is a big thing down there, but perhaps you guys should take it down a notch or two. 

You know you've gone too far when the someone from the home of the Spanish Inquisition is telling you "Dude, that's a bit over the top. Throttle it back a bit".  :wink:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SayWhatt said:

You know you've gone too far when the someone from the home of the Spanish Inquisition is telling you "Dude, that's a bit over the top. Throttle it back a bit".  :wink:

Something about trebuchets on a cathedral and stained glass...

Edited by macelena
  • Like 1