Sign in to follow this  
hamburgerjet

I can't get my aircraft to break up from G forces

Basically what the title says, I've added the "StructuralFactor=" line to the wings of an aircraft that didn't have it (Su-27), but it refuses to break up. Even with MaxG=4.0 and StructuralFactor=0.7, it can pull over 15Gs for as long as it can keep its speed up.

I know it isn't super well modelled in SF2, and something like the stock F-16 will happily pull 20Gs for ages before it actually breaks up but I've just pulled a 10 minute 27G turn at Mach 1.8 and my little Saturn-27 is just fine. Am I missing something?

I don't think there is a breaking point in SF2. I've heard of people doing 14g SAM evasion maneuvers and not complaining of breaking. Could be a hardcoded thing as nobody has apparently done it before.

Not sure if it will make any difference, but what flight model difficulty are you using?

I'm pretty sure I ripped the wings off the old Mirage Factory F-16A Block 1 before while trying to evade SAMs with the tanks still on the wings. That's going off a memory from years ago though.

41 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I don't think there is a breaking point in SF2. I've heard of people doing 14g SAM evasion maneuvers and not complaining of breaking. Could be a hardcoded thing as nobody has apparently done it before.

Oh there definitely is. It just takes a while, in fact here's me trying to break the stock F-15, it took two drop tanks and the entire internal fuel load before finally breaking it at a peak of 18Gs. It's completely unrealistic and it's pretty understandable that most people wouldn't actually see it happen, but it can happen.

9 minutes ago, Viggen said:

Not sure if it will make any difference, but what flight model difficulty are you using?

I'm pretty sure I ripped the wings off the old Mirage Factory F-16A Block 1 before while trying to evade SAMs with the tanks still on the wings. That's going off a memory from years ago though.

Hard. In fact the only things I haven't set at Hard are Visual Targeting, HUD.

and you're complaining, why???

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hamburgerjet said:

Oh there definitely is. It just takes a while, in fact here's me trying to break the stock F-15, it took two drop tanks and the entire internal fuel load before finally breaking it at a peak of 18Gs. It's completely unrealistic and it's pretty understandable that most people wouldn't actually see it happen, but it can happen.

Ahh I don't push my jet that hard to break it. I fly normal FM so that's probably why I never broke a wing or the jet.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Wrench said:

and you're complaining, why???

Well I've lost so many wings in DCS that it feels weird that it doesn't happen every other dogfight... :lol:

I think I've broken off Crusader wings from over G,  but IIRC that was using an updated ini. 

welcome to sim lite

the beauty of SF2 is not in its uber realism but rather in the wide variety of aircraft and other things available, and the abilty to add your own if you take the time to learn how (or play nice with others)

DCS is awesome in its own way. but if i wanted to go through the checklist to fly a Huey i'd have gone flight Warrant*. and its nice to run intercepts on airliners in F-106s one flight, F-15s another and Mirage 3s another

besides, IRL the pilot would pass out anything over 10G sustained tops (8 more likely) and release controls, thereby reducing the G force that could rip off parts.

*ok i did try while i was in. evidently have a physical problem with my eyes, even though eyesight is 20/20. too much pressure, bolo'd teh physical

I saw somewhere that 9Gs is the max for an average pilot so I go by that measure for jets and the like. Pretty much if my screen goes black I relax the stick and fly from there.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hamburgerjet said:

Basically what the title says, I've added the "StructuralFactor=" line to the wings of an aircraft that didn't have it (Su-27), but it refuses to break up. ......

This was solved several yrs. ago for FE2, also on several prop aircraft in my small, early WW2 prop packs for SF2. The trick is to include "MaxG" entries for various lift/flying surfaces in the data inis, such as for wing inner, middle, outer panels, etc., as well as for the left/right stab entries for the horizontal stabilizer - the value may also be introduced for control surfaces such as elevators, ailerons, etc. The "StructuralFactor" value helps somewhat - but the main solution is to implement "MaxG" entries across several sections of data inserts in the data inis. Usually there is only one "MaxG" entry under the "Flight Control" of a stock data ini - but that is largely there only to limit the AI behavior. For a more thorough post on the subject, I recommend this old FE2 thread:

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/90029-tweak-for-more-dangerous-power-dives/?tab=comments#comment-727517

Happy flying and MaxG testing,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Edited post.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

VonS be knowing his stuff ... to him you should listen  :drinks:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VonS said:

This was solved several yrs. ago for FE2, also on several prop aircraft in my small, early WW2 prop packs for SF2. The trick is to include "MaxG" entries for various lift/flying surfaces in the data inis, such as for wing inner, middle, outer panels, etc., as well as for the left/right stab entries for the horizontal stabilizer - the value may also be introduced for control surfaces such as elevators, ailerons, etc. The "StructuralFactor" value helps somewhat - but the main solution is to implement "MaxG" entries across several sections of data inserts in the data inis. Usually there is only one "MaxG" entry under the "Flight Control" of a stock data ini - but that is largely there only to limit the AI behavior. For a more thorough post on the subject, I recommend this old FE2 thread:

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/90029-tweak-for-more-dangerous-power-dives/?tab=comments#comment-727517

Happy flying and MaxG testing,

Von S :smile:

Thanks, but that doesn't work either. DamageRating is set to "Destroyed", I've tried matching up the FlightControl MaxG value with the wings', nothing works. I have looked at every line in the wing, fuselage, etc sections and can't see anything that would change something.

Funnily enough this is what I tried doing at first, but when I looked at the stock aircraft data.inis and saw they only have one MaxG entry I thought it wouldn't do anything, I'm certainly happy to see I was right!

For now I'll leave it as is. I don't want to get frustrated with this and give up the whole thing, there's a lot to do with the FM and frankly as this thread shows structure limitations shouldn't be my priority.

Thanks for the help though! :drinks:

• Thanks 1