Sign in to follow this  
Fates

Shuttle Accident

Please, everyone tune into CNN....a very sad thing has happened today.

My sincere well wishes to those that support this modern science and to the family and crew.

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds -- and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of -- wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there,

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue

I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or even eagle flew.

And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

I stand again in shock and bewilderment at losses and share a prayer of peace for families and friends, to flight crews and everyone involved.

I don't know why, but I really take these shuttle losses personally, like I lost a family member. I've been glued to the TV all morning, and we've lost a local Spokane boy in this tragedy .

I was watching the morning we lost the Challenger and watched it happen on TV. I remember how deeply it affected me, and I find myself feeling the same sense of loss this morning.

My prayers and thoughts go out to the families of the crew on the day of this tragedy.

It was 17 yrs ago I remember watching this happen to Challenger. Although I was too young to take it personally, I feel more inclined to now, as I new 2 of the crew on a personal level aside from a professional level.

nasaf.gif

In 1986, I was in a grocery store getting some breakfast items. I walked up to the line to wait my turn at check out. I noticed everyone staring at a TV on the wall with shocked looks. I asked what was happening and someone said the Challenger had just exploded. I honestly thought it was a joke and almost laughed when I looked at the TV and saw the challenger rise, then suddenly explode. I stood and watched that explosion over and over again before I could bring myself to really beleive it had happened. Like MJ above, I felt a tremendous sense of loss and a deep sorrow over what had happened to those brave people on that flight. Who can ever forget the brave crew of that flight...

51-l-crew.gif

President Reagen said it best when he quoted that fine poem mentioned above with a real sorrow and warmth in his voice. We all greived with the families. Now, tragically, more brave flyers have been added to the our pantheon of heros...and the loss I feel is no less acute...

sts-107-patch.jpg

Their webpage at Nasa... http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/missio...on-sts-107.html

...And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

My sincerest condolences and prayers are offered to the families...

I hope everyone prays for the crew, their families, freinds and the espescially the NASA members who will undoubtedly blame themeselves for this terrible tradegedy.

I know what you mean MJ,

I prayers are with the family members and NASA personel.

-Vercingetorix

Guest Ranger332

us_flag_half_mast_md_clr.gif

Again we lose some of our best and brightest,but alas such is the cost of flight and exploration. we pray for the families of those lost,and can yet smile in the knowlege that there mission will go on as others will take up thier cause,and continue. Our members of NASA will learn from this and make a better safer shuttle fleet.

one is not truly dead as long as they are rembered :cry:

For those of us old enough to remember these fellas also

If we die, we want people to accept it. We're in a risky business, and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."

-Gus Grissom (John Barbour et al., Footprints on the Moon (The Associated Press, 1969), p. 125.)

You look up there and just say to yourself: I've got to get up there. I've just got to get one of those flights."

-Roger Chaffee (The New York Times, January 29, 1967, p. 48.)