BuckeyeBob

Optional Cloud Mod 4.0 Update

With all the recent additions to this venerable sim by OBD, along with BB's excellent cloud mod, I'm gradually falling back in love with WOFF. For some reason I thought I still had my custom preload file running, but it turns out I did not! I've updated it to include the newly added cloud.dds files. If anyone is curious to try it, it's here...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eGe4ZaKYw24a6TofBHgUNmYB3jEFCYWd/view?usp=sharing

I believe it adds a further degree of smoothness to the performance the SIM, and compliments BB's cloud mod quite well I think, possibly reducing cloud popping even further (although it does nothing to help with the occasional patterning from the darker clouds). Mission load times are a little longer, and you need to have a decent amount of RAM installed in your PC. Your mileage may vary. Simply rename the existing preload.xml and copy my replacement file in its place here: C:\OBDSoftware\WOFF\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields\preload.xml  

• Thanks 4

Thank you for this Harry - one of these days I will roll your improved/refreshed preload.xml file into my various enhancement packs and tuner packages for WOFF/WOTR, since I currently have an older preload.xml file in those - WOFFers/WOTRers can of course replace the slightly older preload.xml file available in my various tuner/enhancement packages with your newer one, if they like, prior to loading said packages via JSGME.

Happy flying all,

Von S :smile:

• Thanks 2

Thanks, Harry. I can confirm that Harry's mod works fine with the cloud mod and may indeed help improve popping, although not everyone will get the same results. I am also convinced that those with very good graphics cards may experience less popping than those of us with weaker cards. 

Speaking of the cloud mod, the update to 4.2 is finished and is currently being tested. The readme file will list most of the changes, but the main focus is on improved performance and visual appearance of various cloud types. A few cloud files that were still producing cloud popping in some weather types have been removed. Several "heavy" weather types were also revised in order to improve visual appearance and reduce cloud popping and flashing. Finally, several fog and mist weather types have been further adjusted to reduce flashing and popping, particularly at low levels. BB Fog Heavy was also removed from the campaign due to flashing issues.

The new version will also contain a "light" version of the mod, which removes several weather types that still have some flashing and popping issues. Users who are particularly sensitive to this issue may prefer to use this light version of the mod. Thanks goes to Robert Wiggins for his many fine suggestions on the development of this light version. 

Cheers!

Edited by BuckeyeBob

Version 4.2 of the Optional Cloud Mod has been sent to Sandbagger and will soon be posted on his web page. You can also find a link to the mod at the end of my first post in the Optional Cloud Mod thread at simhq. 

I recommend that everyone upgrade to this version as it contains a number of important fixes and improvements. 

Thank you to all of my beta testers and to Robert Wiggins for the development of the light version of the mod. 

• Thanks 1

It's coming!

Version 4.4 of the Optional Cloud mod is almost ready for download!

The new version should cure most of the strobing problems introduced back in version 4.0 of the mod (note: this problem did not affect all users). It also corrects a few problems with clouds not displaying correctly, and removes a few clouds from the campaign that still had excessive flashing problems. Most of my haze cloud files have been revised so the haze effect is more subtle and less noticeable, particularly when mixed with other clouds. The Weather folders, which determine which clouds are displayed according to the overall weather conditions (Good, Changeable, Heavy, etc.) have also been revised to produce more consistent results.

I also took care not to rush this update out the door. In the past, I probably rushed a few updates after finishing my main tweaks without adequate campaign testing. This time, I have spent roughly the last month testing various cloud types in many different actual campaign missions. As a result, several cloud types that looked okay in QC flights but not so much in the campaign, particularly when combined with other clouds, have been improved. Note: some cloud flashing when entering or leaving a bank of clouds still remains, but this is a limitation of the game engine. 

While the mod is not perfect, I think it is the best work I have done to date on the clouds in WOFF. I hope you will agree. Thanks.

BB

Edited by BuckeyeBob
  • Like 1

Version 4.4 of the Optional Cloud Mod is now available for download, either at simhq or at Sandbagger's web site. This version contains several significant fixes and improvements, so everyone on 4.2 should update to the new version. Although most clouds will look roughly the same, or perhaps just a little less cloudy, I have revised the fog and haze clouds, so they should look better when combined with other clouds in the campaign. For additional hints about reducing possible cloud flashing during the campaign, including specific details about editing the OFFDynamicMissionWeather.xml file, please see the readme file for 4.4. 

If you have any comments or suggestions for further improvements, please do not hesitate to ask. Happy flying!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By JamesWilson
      Hi everyone,
      I recently got into weapon modding and wanted to edit some missiles.
      I went for the Weapons Folder with the Weapons Editor, and some weapons were missing, even tho i can see them and equip them in-game.
      I wanted to edit the AA-2D Atoll for my Su-22M3, but there's no AA-2 folder inside Weapons folder, nor inside plane folder, even tho the missile is equippable and i can see it/use it in-game.
      Since there's no Atoll folder, i have no idea how is it possible for me to have it in-game, and even less i know on how am i supposed to edit it through Weapons Editor, since i can't select the folder.
      I thought it may be a sort of "built-in-game" missile and for this reason not showing in weapons folder (idk i just made an hypothesis).
      So i tried using the CAT Extractor, but seems like not working... no matter which CAT file i select, it says "error opening this .CAT file, no files can be extracted", how's that? How do i fix it? Am i doing something wrong?
      Thank you in advance for helping me fixing all these issues or helping me find what i'm doing wrong
    • By JamesWilson
      Hi,
      after seeing the TMF F-14 has wrong and inaccurate speed and fuel indicators, i found out the default Third Wire F-14 has working and accurate ones, but i dont wanna use it cause the TMF Tomcat is better and the cockpit too more realistic too, so can you switch the speed and fuel indicators on the TMF F-14 with the default Third Wire F-14? And for fuel too? Do you need to 3D model and/or do something else other than edit some text files?
       And is it or it's not possible to do?
      Down here are 2 pictures from the correct cockpit in the default Third Wire F-14:

And 2 from the TMF F-14 (the inaccurate one):

Thanks for helping.
    • By VonS

Apr. 17, 2023 Update - Please find, available at the link below, my previously released mods. for RoF United Ed. - this time as a convenient, consolidated package that has been updated with the latest tweaks. Do read the included "Read Me" files, where available, for more info., particularly the "READ_ME_ROF_General_Info" file that is located in the root folder of the package when unzipped. This package is provided "as is," with no active support beyond the included explanatory files. The "Consolidated Mods. New" Package contains the latest AI mod. (ver. 1.4) for RoF United, as well as mods. previously offered separately, such as the "M-S Type H Campaigning Tweak," the "PWCG modulations" files, etc.
      Apr. 29, 2023 Update - Included below the link to the "Consolidated Mods. New" package is Ver. 3 of the PWCG "modulations" files (to be installed manually in the PWCG ver. 16.3.1; see directions included in the larger, consolidated package). Ver. 3 of the "modulations" files increases wind and turbulence settings, as well as provides greater chance of encountering more capable AI when flying PWCG campaigns, especially if used in conjunction with my newer AI mods. for RoF (such as ver. 1.36 or 1.4, included in the big consolidated package).
      Important Note: if using the Ver. 3 PWCG "modulations" files, instead of the Ver. 2 ones included in the big consolidated package for RoF -- make sure to change settings, if you choose to change any, from within the modulations, i.e., the RofCampaignSpecific, files themselves -- otherwise, tampering with relevant settings from within the PWCG advanced menu options will automatically delete extra entries for the AI that I've included in the Ver. 3 modulations. This note does not apply to the Ver. 2 modulations since those don't contain any extra AI settings.
      Feb. 6, 2024 Update - RoF AI mods. vers. 1.36 and 1.4 have been upgraded to vers. 1.37 and 1.41, respectively. The new versions have tweaked the AI's ability to follow commands more quickly and/or properly. Ver. 1.41 also contains further tweaks to safe alts. for the AI, to minimize unnecessary crashes and very low-level dogfighting. The entire consolidated package has been renamed from "Consolidated Mods New" to "Consolidated Mods New V.2" (i.e., Version 2).

ROF_ConsolidatedModsNewV2_VonS.zip
      ForRoFpwcgModulationsVer3_VonS.zip
      Happy flying,
      Von S 

• By JamesWilson
      Hi everyone,
      I was wondering how to customize the numbers after your callsigns, since it always gives me the same ones.
      I think i managed somehow once, a bit of time ago, but now i forgot and have no idea how to.
      I'm not talking about how to customize the callsign name, but the unit number after it.
      As you can see in the Roster and in the picture under, i get "Fast Eagle 1-1" and "Fast Eagle 1-2"
      Here are some examples:

The numbers on the tail, wing and nose numbers are customized, cause i managed how to change them, choosing them individually for each unit in the mission file by changing "AircraftNumber=" and typing the number, like "2" (as for 202). It doesn't change by typing the whole number tho, like 202 by typing 202, but it goes by typing the number that corresponds to the list of numbers you have. For example, In a list that goes from 200 to 400, you will have to type 10 to get 300. Here i just typed "2" and "7" since the list starts from 200

IIRC, in the past i just used to type the Aircaft number just like that, and in-game i had the proper number after the callsign, like "Fast Eagle 102", not just the number displayed on the plane livery.
      How do i do? I'm pretty sure that it's possible to have "Fast Eagle 102" on my screen HUD and in the Roster
      Thanks in advance for helping me.

• By Sabre1BR
      Hello gentlemen.
      I am getting back to SF2 since my last time by 2019 or so, and i wonder if in these three years off what would be mods you guys think are a must to play the game now.
      Any suggestions?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..