macelena

Curbing the Taliban push?

3 minutes ago, Erik said:

Did you see that on Facebook? I saw it also but it's an old photo that's been cropped. Facebook is notorious for this propaganda shit and has no accountability for it.

No, it was on an OSINT page that up until now had been fairly reliable. But that's the problem with open source I guess. Thanks.

8 hours ago, Gepard said:

The Brits evacuated over 800 with one plane. The Americans evacuated over 600 with one plane. The Germans evacuated 7 with one plane. Well done Luftwaffe! Outstanding job!

well in their defense, it was choatic it seems....

5 hours ago, Viggen said:

No, it was on an OSINT page that up until now had been fairly reliable. But that's the problem with open source I guess. Thanks.

i've heard about this too. reading between the lines i see an autonomous zone setting up. saves the Taliban from actually having to fight and getting on with not taking revenge....

9 hours ago, Gepard said:

The Brits evacuated over 800 with one plane. The Americans evacuated over 600 with one plane. The Germans evacuated 7 with one plane. Well done Luftwaffe! Outstanding job!

We've sent 2 A-400Ms and a Security Forces detachment to bring back 25 Spanish citizens and 600 Afghans. I'm completely confident in our government's management, and have no doubts that the 25 Spanish already got out in another plane, and we are bringing back the wrong 600 Afghans along with a herd of goats to be granted refugee status out of concern for their sexual integrity. 

I feel in sincere honesty I have to preface this otherwise lame political  snark with a notice of sorts, seeing how many current service or veterans there are from the US Armed Forces on this site.  I say this as a former Canadian Armed Forces Sapper.  The Jab is at the political establishments and the MIC, not at the boots.  I feel that I have to say this given the feelings of those of you who have been deployed and are currently serving in the forces; that are also watching this shit unfold.  So here goes...

This applies to all the Non-American forces members on this board.  From now on if an American ever pokes fun at your country, just remind them with a smile, it took FOUR U.S Presidents, Trillions of Dollars, 100K of lives to replace the hateful Taliban....with the hateful Taliban.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Biden: WINNING !!!!

World: What the actual ****

On 8/16/2021 at 8:56 AM, MigBuster said:

Nothing to see here all normal

Is that secret footage of a VSTOL C-17 ?  What... the.... ? Dude since when has the USAF secretly been testing these C-17's out of Afghan using the all abundant human catapult  system?  More importantly, is this airfield a secret "diverse" Area-51 ?  Also, aliens confirmed ?

Edited by Atreides

On 8/16/2021 at 3:24 PM, Erik said:

The Taliban were started by Pakistan back in the 2000s, after doing a marketing research campaign on the general public. We went into Afghanistan after Al-Qaeda but the Taliban were in charge then and they are now. Pakistan is back to their old tricks of wanting Afghanistan through proxy. Not sure we'll ever do anything there with Pakistan next door. The allies forces dropped a shit ton of money into an endless pit. I think finally getting out there just had to be done. The departure was always going to be shit show.

I, as an Anglo-Indian am not sure about the "true political" sentiment India's case but the at large public sentiment (that which truly matters and is most likely to affect foreign policy in a constitutional republic) is America was weak, they abandoned theirs "friends" again, like they always do "the east is their playground" etc, etc .  "YOU" might not care.  I don't either to be honest.  I'm a trust fund Gen-Xer.  But this will impact a global political shift of India towards Soviet Russia, might not seem like a big deal but despite India being a developing nation with a shitload of issues to sort out, it's still a constitutional republic.  It's easier to do "honest business" with them as opposed to China.  I say this as a laymen, I don't think North American businesses will benefit if India makes a move towards Russia and even China. 

Those fancy P-8I's upto 8, C-17's, C-130 Spec ops version , and apaches they bought from you they're now show cased during the Republic Day Parade. Let's not forget the Boeing deal that's being pushed.   That's not a fad or a "woke" issue to the Indian population, it showcases India's strength, and willingness to defend her self.  That sentiment meant,  jobs American and perhaps even skilled Indian jobs.  American military equipment was the one that had been kicking most ass until recently.  Want to know what it's being perceived as by some of your largest future customer's Today...RUNNING AWAY !

@Atreides

At any point all the nations including Canada could have said wait we don't agree with the withdraw of troops in Afghanistan. The allied nations were all alerted to this inevitability 18 months in advance. Trump signed the peace and withdrawal agreement back in February 2020? Why now is it so easy to point fingers and shift blame for your own inactions? There's dirt on everyone's hands including Canada or is Canada's embassy still open in Afghanistan? I don't know what all that other stuff you're talking about has to do with anything but people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/568154-trumps-deal-with-the-taliban-set-the-stage-for-the-afghan-collapse - No excuses here, the withdrawal was an uncoordinated Charlie Foxtrot, but the die was cast long before Biden inherited it and that's not to say Biden couldn't have stopped it.

*Note this is quickly turning into a political discussion so if this topic gets moved, you'll know why.

The decision to retreat from Afghanistan is correct. To stay one or ten years longer would change nothing and waste billions of Dollars and Euros.

But how the retreat was done was completly wrong.

First: The time. In Afghanistan there are two times. One more or less peacefull time in the winter, because it is simply to cold to fight. And one wartime in summer. It would be much more clever to retreat in winter. The soviets did it in winter. And their proxy Nadjibulla was able to fight two more years. He had some month to prepare for the wartime periode.

The americans decided to retreat in summer. This is the wrong season. The enemy had perfect weather for war operations.

Second: If you retreat it is the most challenging military operation. You must take all with you. The technic, the supply goods, your supporters and your troops.

The americans and all of their allies simply had forgotten the supporters. They should have been evacuated before the troops left the field.

And finally: Never give the timetable of your retreat to the enemy! This is stupid!

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gepard said:

The decision to retreat from Afghanistan is correct. To stay one or ten years longer would change nothing and waste billions of Dollars and Euros.

But how the retreat was done was completly wrong.

First: The time. In Afghanistan there are two times. One more or less peacefull time in the winter, because it is simply to cold to fight. And one wartime in summer. It would be much more clever to retreat in winter. The soviets did it in winter. And their proxy Nadjibulla was able to fight two more years. He had some month to prepare for the wartime periode.

The americans decided to retreat in summer. This is the wrong season. The enemy had perfect weather for war operations.

Second: If you retreat it is the most challenging military operation. You must take all with you. The technic, the supply goods, your supporters and your troops.

The americans and all of their allies simply had forgotten the supporters. They should have been evacuated before the troops left the field.

And finally: Never give the timetable of your retreat to the enemy! This is stupid!

I really can't disagree with that last part. I mean it doesn't matter as they would know whether it was the winter or summer season. They simply know what's going on in their villages to know if we were pulling out. They just knew us better than us sometimes, and that's a fact. Anyways as for the letting people know, it was broadcast to the world and too  late. With that knowledge the  Taliban simply waited  until we were out of the villages to sweep in. I mean we fought hard (I know  I lobbed a goodly amount of HE at the Taliban and bombs) just to keep it secure, but again all they had to do is wait until  we pulled out to retake those same villages. So yeah, there's some blame all around but nobody thought the Taliban would sweep in. I mean I saw  some footage from an OSINT account on Twitter so it was no surprise that they were chasing away the Afghan forces we setup but yeah, announcing it was stupid, but then again  they would have figured it out anyways I think.

As for a waste of money if we had stayed, it would definitely have cost us more for what we  got. We only didn't delay it by a motion of ten  years or however amount we would have spent  if we stayed. We had to leave sometime of course and frankly glad we did in some ways.

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 1

• Thanks 1