MacGalin

Depressed gunsight for angled guns in a/g gun hud mode?

Well, i am trying my hand at some basic modding - basically making a fictional, heavily updated late 80s  b-57 with phantom cockpit ,  f-16 hud, and all kinds of  pgm capabilities .

I have figured out most of the  basic stuff about  cockpit and avionics i needed, but one thing still  eludes me.   

Guns on my  plane are angled slightly downward (to help with strafing) .   With basic cockpit and hud import, this means that gunsight is pointing high above  the actual point of aim.     I  have used the  viewangles variable  in cockpit.ini, and it does work well - but it only  seem to work for A/A lead computing mode.  

ViewAngles=0.0,-3.5,0.0

But when i select the guns in air to ground mode (strf) ,  fixed gunsight is still  locked in way too high position,  way above the line of fire -  and i was not able to get it down by any means.

So, any idea how could i bring the gun reticle into proper position in a/g mode?  Or alternatively, how to force the plane to use the lead computing sight in A/G mode instead of fixed one?    

• Like 1

put the gun aim angles to zero. leave the cockpit alone

we found this issue out about 15 years ago

33 minutes ago, Wrench said:

put the gun aim angles to zero. leave the cockpit alone

we found this issue out about 15 years ago

You mean  a/g  strafing gunsight is hardcoded to stay inline with plane axis? 

Try this:

GunBoresightAngle=-3.5

In the [FlightControl] section of the data_XXX.ini

And if you have a HUD:

GunBoresightAngle=-3.5

In the [HUD] section of the avionics_XXX.ini

no, that's not what I said. the US Canberra's have their guns angled DOWN (a certain number of degrees). Setting them to zero, on the up/down axis will bring them closer to the gunsight. They also did NOT have lead computing gunsights, as they are bombers, and don't need them.

the boresight stuff dtm posted is actually for the AI usage, it won't do anything for player controlled aircraft. Leave the avionics ini alone as well.

4 hours ago, Wrench said:

the boresight stuff dtm posted is actually for the AI usage, it won't do anything for player controlled aircraft. Leave the avionics ini alone as well.

One of them (can't remember which) is linked to the air-to-ground gunsight. Why, I have no idea but it does.

Edited by dtmdragon

17 hours ago, MacGalin said:

Well, i am trying my hand at some basic modding - basically making a fictional, heavily updated late 80s  b-57 with phantom cockpit ,  f-16 hud, and all kinds of  pgm capabilities .

I have figured out most of the  basic stuff about  cockpit and avionics i needed, but one thing still  eludes me.   

Guns on my  plane are angled slightly downward (to help with strafing) .   With basic cockpit and hud import, this means that gunsight is pointing high above  the actual point of aim.     I  have used the  viewangles variable  in cockpit.ini, and it does work well - but it only  seem to work for A/A lead computing mode.  

ViewAngles=0.0,-3.5,0.0

But when i select the guns in air to ground mode (strf) ,  fixed gunsight is still  locked in way too high position,  way above the line of fire -  and i was not able to get it down by any means.

So, any idea how could i bring the gun reticle into proper position in a/g mode?  Or alternatively, how to force the plane to use the lead computing sight in A/G mode instead of fixed one?    

Now that plane is something that sounds very interesting!

16 hours ago, dtmdragon said:

and if you have a HUD:

GunBoresightAngle=-3.5

In the [HUD] section of the avionics_XXX.ini

Thanks, it worked !    I probably would not ber able to find this on my own,  because the avionics.ini files of the planes i was using as reference ommited this line completetly.

Edited by MacGalin

1 hour ago, Stratos said:

Now that plane is something that sounds very interesting!

Its basically what-if dhimari flavoured  evolution of B-57G,   only  intended not just for nighttime truck hunting with LGBs ,   but also for CAS and battlefield interdiction ( which i guess would be more  of a priority for a small country dealing with enemy tank regiments  sitting at the border )  .   Here's its origin story:    

Dhimari royal palace, 1989

King Fa'ad put  put down the tattered paperback novel,  and reached for the phone.

"Operator? I need to speak with chief of Defence Research Projects Bureau right now"

"Hello , cousin Amir!  What...? Yes, i know its late, but hear me out....  do we still have some of our old bombers mothballed somewhere...?  Great!  Because i have been reading a great book by this american writer, Dale Brown, and let me tell you, he had some really awesome  ideas about these old bomber airframes...  " 

Edited by MacGalin
  • Haha 2