As the title says, maybe the answer is more than known, what is the limit of the tiles that a map can load?

There is no known limit other than the hardware limitations of our computers. The more tiles you add, the more video card memory is required, loading times become longer and terrains with too many tiles can be problematic when you also load dozens of custom aircraft with 4k textures.

• Like 2

Thank you very much for your answer

If it is not known it means that there may be a limit, in the map I am working on when it reaches texture 847, it stops loading textures and the system loads texture number 1 for the rest of the map, I will experiment by reducing the size of the mosaics. To cross your fingers

Good luck, and fingers crossed :wink:

the biggest map i know of, WW2 CBI (i never finished it) given it's size, must have WELL over 1/2 million tiles, but there are only 204  different types. 

I would double check the texture list against the _data ini and make sure they're all in numerical order, and in the SAME order.

I've never heard of what you describe happening.

My fear and incognito when starting this map comes true, the list is fine, the TFD loads them correctly without error warnings, the map from texture 847 does not load new textures and replaces them with texture number 1 as I already explained It is not a problem of lack of memory, without objects on the ground, reducing the size of the tiles and the quality of everything still does not load correctly, it is a mixture of disappointment and fury for the time invested.

img00209.thumb.JPG.bd580ccba07239a6c15ab0eadc62eb61.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

@torno Indeed, that is frustrating. Now we know for a fact there is a limit, you've just hit it, it seems. Your best chance is to remove entries to specific tiles for inland areas and use more generic ones where possible. That way you could find space for coastline tiles which are a must to the impressive work you're doing.

Edited by Menrva

@torno Ariel don't get frustrated !!! The work you do is absolutely great so that it gets lost due to the limitations of the sim ... we would only have to think of the trick to avoid the problem or rather hide it ..

• Like 1

Damn, that looks like absolutely stellar work.

I understand the frustration but now that you know the limit, can't you find a few places to replace some tiles by more generic ones, losing a bit in details and gaining in repetition inland and in places not needing as much details while keeping the details for the coastlines and major target areas ? It would be a pity to just throw your work out. It's a pain but that's what happens when you try to push the envelope beyond what has been done before.

That being said, the index stopping at 846 is weird.

Damn, must be tired, somehow I missed that @Menrva had the exact same advice.

Edited by Gunrunner
  • Like 1

I really feel your frustration,  but like everyone said,  just make some sacrifices with some tiles.  But don't stop this outstanding work. 

• Like 1

Thanks to a blue screen of my pc and a restoration to a safe point, all the last changes in the data of the Malvinas terrain were erased. so I had to rewrite, and I came up with an idea that maybe it could be what could be generating the tile limit, while rewriting I made the change, and guess what? The area that was not loaded correctly was loaded (despite in the tdf editor if it was loaded correctly) I am very happy. because the project does not die
Sorry my bad english

img00222.thumb.JPG.6284ad539e8584296bfed2816e201c3a.JPGimg00221.thumb.JPG.6733526dc0640b5367414a002affef13.JPG

• Like 10

2 hours ago, torno said:

Thanks to a blue screen of my pc and a restoration to a safe point, all the last changes in the data of the Malvinas terrain were erased. so I had to rewrite, and I came up with an idea that maybe it could be what could be generating the tile limit, while rewriting I made the change, and guess what? The area that was not loaded correctly was loaded (despite in the tdf editor if it was loaded correctly) I am very happy. because the project does not die
Sorry my bad english

Great Torno, that you solved the problem! :good:

BTW, the Malvinas map looks very nice so far! Can´t wait.

2 hours ago, torno said:

...I came up with an idea that maybe it could be what could be generating the tile limit, while rewriting I made the change,...

I'm curious what the root cause was and how you fixed it?

• Like 1

I'll almost bet the root cause was a missed number someplace in the terrains' data ini of tile listings. I've seen something similar in the TAE, when a number is missed in the _types ini AND in the targets ini;

for instance, a target area item listing

[TargetArea001]
Name=A Shau
Position=590542.00,498989.00
Alignment=ENEMY
Location=1
ActiveYear=0
Radius=5000
Target[001].Type=af66
Target[001].Offset=0.00,0.00
Target[001].Heading=0
Target[002].Type=af42hut
Target[002].Offset=-24.00,-9.00
Target[002].Heading=0
Target[003].Type=vvillage1
Target[003].Offset=30.00,-60.00
Target[003].Heading=90
Target[004].Type=af59
Target[004].Offset=-15.00,-130.00
Target[004].Heading=90
Target[005].Type=stand
Target[005].Offset=222.00,63.00
Target[005].Heading=180
Target[006].Type=ZISTRUCK
Target[006].Offset=220.00,75.00
Target[006].Heading=120
Target[007].Type=shed1
Target[007].Offset=460.00,-110.00
Target[007].Heading=270
Target[008].Type=af31
Target[008].Offset=530.00,-145.00
Target[008].Heading=270
Target[009].Type=af31
Target[009].Offset=-125.00,20.00
Target[009].Heading=180
Target[010].Type=smallgen
Target[010].Offset=-5.00,115.00
Target[010].Heading=180
Target[012].Type=af41              <--- note #11 missing
Target[012].Offset=180.00,-90.00
Target[012].Heading=0

will still show the items in the TAE, even after the break. On the target area view pane in the TAE, you can see a break, but the later listed items.

Same for the types ini, although thats MUCH more rare; it usually won't show a broken numeric sequence, but stops at the break

at least, that's been my experience

in the field data figure these entries

[Texturexxx]
Filename = seaxxx.TGA
HasWater = 1
HeightMap = seaxxx_hm.BMP
HeightMapScale = 2.000000
Color = 0.241387,0.257525,0.233230 ----------------- (this color data)
SolidObjectTexture =
AlphaObjectTexture = TerObjectFalklandTrees.TGA
MipMapLevels = 6

when cloning that data in many tiles I create the problem of limit of loads

I never closed the texture number 847, if it had a limit it would have to be 900, 1000,500, a round number, so since I had to rewrite about 130 tile data in the data replace that color number: = xxxx.xxx .xxx that I never gave importance to but it was repeated in the series. that vast so that the missing tiles appear and the graphics engine will not load the texture 1 replacing them

img00224.thumb.JPG.c70059db1781538f494d617199185b27.JPG

• Like 3

I reached the limit of 1024 tiles, which only allows loading the TFD tool, unfortunately the tools I have do not allow the project to finish at least for now.

img00242.thumb.JPG.c1ffd8644d082ad21b4ab1a1eafcfb35.JPG

• Sad 2

it seems like the issue is the TFD tool itself