Had this happen a few times, what can be the cause ? And how can it be fixed ?

This happens relativly often. The FM of some planes seems to be wrong in that point. I think the Vulcan or other british bombers had this problem.

IIRC it was neccessary to play with StallSpeed and LandingSpeed in the data.ini of the plane. But i have forgotten what excactly had to be done.

General rule is to keep the LandingSpeed about 5 kph higher (1.4 m/s higher), on average, than the StallSpeed, in the "FlightControl" section of the data ini (works well for AI landings in FE2, and may be worth a shot in SF2 as well).

Another, trickier way to manipulate landings, and takeoffs - is to tweak numbers located under the CL0MachTableData section in the "LeftStab" and "RightStab" entries of the relevant data ini. There are usually a minimum of three or four, and a maximum of seven or eight, entries in those CL0Mach sections per left/right stab. From what I've had to tinker with in FE2, it seems that the median value is 1.000. That keeps the elevator parallel with the horizontal stabilizer. Values higher than 1.000 lower the elevator (to improve dives, etc.), while values lower than 1.000, particularly negative numbers, raise the elevator (for steeper takeoffs, improved climbs, etc.).

Fixing the CL0 numbers, however, for left/right stabs, while solving some problems - may also introduce or exaggerate other ones. Have seen this happen in FE2, with a strange, instantaneous reversal of direction on some aircraft, just before they land - if too much experimenting is done with those CL0 numbers.

Recommended therefore is to stick with changes in the StallSpeed and LandingSpeed values instead - if everything else about the landing/takeoff procedure looks smooth enough.

Thoughts above are from experiences in FE2, but may carry over to SF2.

Cheers all,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Added info. as per Wrench's post below this one.
  • Like 2

VS: you mean MPS in the FlightControl statements, yes?? (thats what they're calibration is)

If it's the bird I thinking of, ground landings are pretty "ok"'; its just getting back on the boat where the issue is.

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2021 at 5:37 PM, Wrench said:

VS: you mean MPS in the FlightControl statements, yes?? (thats what they're calibration is)

That's correct Wrench, m/s - so 5 kph translates to about 1.4 m/s higher for safe landing speed (compared to stall speed). Sorry for the kph confusion - I usually think in kph when tweaking the data inis for FE2, then add meters (three zeros), divide by 3600 secs etc., to get m/s - before plugging in the actual values.

Cheers all, in metric and imperial units,

Von S :smile:

• Like 2