Sign in to follow this  
Chugster

Is the DCS F-16 worth buying if I have BMS?

Or should i focus on other modules like the F/a-18 or the upcoming AH64 or Eurofighter?

if ya got the ectra funds, pull the trigga

• Like 1

I had written a long comparison post, but I deleted it in favor of saying this:

You can do a 2-week free trial and decide for yourself if it is worth the money.

But I would never pay full price when you can always wait for a sale.

The summer sale just ended, so the next one might be a fall sale?

The Christmas sale used to really drop prices, but these days, most sales are the same: 50% off for older releases, 0-20% off for newer ones.

I can't recall what the F-16C price is on sale.

Edited by streakeagle

In my opinion, the F-14A/B is the best modern jet because I prefer air-to-air and it dominates both the WVR and BVR arenas in the F-14B configuration. But two-seaters have limitations: you either have to deal with a less than capable AI RIO or fly multiplayer and hope to find a human RIO, preferably one more skilled than the AI.

Presently, the F/A-18C is the best all around modern jet because it is very good at just about everything except for range and power-to-weight.

The F-16C at its current patch level does not beat the F/A-18 in sustained turn rate the way it should, but is otherwise a good mashup of F-14 and F/A-18 performance being among the best in both air-to-air and air-to-ground.

The F-16C is not a carrier based plane, that means a little less fun for me. I love carrier operations almost as much as combat, especially with the SuperCarrier addon module.

Air-to-air refueling is very challenging and fun in DCS World. For me, the F-16 is the hardest to refuel with sensitive controls and a touchy throttle.

If your present PC can run DCS World (a 100% free download), you can get the free A-4E-C Skyhawk addon aircraft and fly it from carriers or ground bases on the online Vietnam server.

Mastering the A-4E could keep you busy while you wait for a good sale to buy the F-16C.

Edited by streakeagle

14 hours ago, Chugster said:

Or should i focus on other modules like the F/a-18 or the upcoming AH64 or Eurofighter?

If you have the time then suggest learning something new..............the FA-18 with Link 16 makes A-A a cinch and has Helmet mounted HOBS missiles so thus dominate modern A-A scenarios. Eurofighter will be the same but rumours Meteor will be added so you can be king of the airquake servers I guess.

I would say that JF-17 is actually one of the best DCS modules by far so worth considering. 

Take advantage of the 2-week free trials: try every module, one at a time, before you decide what to buy. I can't hurt. There are enough modules to keep you busy for quite some time before you would need to make a decision.

Hmm, thanks for the replies. Are there any good articles/videos comparing the BMS Viper to the DCS one?

Doubtful 

BMS has about 30+ different F-16 versions by default where as DCS has one............a 2007 USAF F-16C Block 50 only.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:48 AM, MigBuster said:

If you have the time then suggest learning something new..............the FA-18 with Link 16 makes A-A a cinch and has Helmet mounted HOBS missiles so thus dominate modern A-A scenarios. Eurofighter will be the same but rumours Meteor will be added so you can be king of the airquake servers I guess.

I would say that JF-17 is actually one of the best DCS modules by far so worth considering. 

I would have to cool my laptop with liquid nitrogen to get it to run DCS, but even so I'm hyped about their Typhoon and the chance of putting IRIS-Ts on F-18s. Guess that's it, i shall marry, buy my own house and plant a proper gaming desktop.