Sign in to follow this  
alexis99

resized cockpit picture files

I just discovered that you can take cockpit picture files and double their size, and yet they still fit where they are supposed to. This means you can make the graphics more detailed. Like using a bigger font to add discretes. I knew it worked for radar, but this is amazing. I doubled all the A-6 intruder stuff and the detail has really improved with repainting numbers on the dials and such. Why didn't someone tell me before?

The only drawback is that if you go too high, the graphics can flicker when the game engine resizes the cockpit down to fit your monitor.

There's always something turns up to keep this game fresh.

Several of us make improvements, some do not get to be published by who knows what ... what if you should consider that when you get better definition in lines and texts, these may look strange on some monitors depending on the resolution you have and the video card you have ... also do not hallucinate with giving it such excessive quality because you will have framerate problems ... my advice if you work with jpg files save them with some photoshop-type editor that has "optimization for the web" I remember that it is used a lot for web pages that lowers you quite the weight of the file despite you give it high quality

I create better definitions that suit my 1920x1080 27" monitor, so they don't look strange. I have no frame rate problems on my stonkingly good win 10 computer. So, you see, I already thought all that stuff through.

Your advice may be useful to noobs, or it may put them off.

Because the Third Wire Sims are open to tweaking, then it seems churlish not to tweak. The geniuses on here create new aircraft, terrains etc, but that's way beyond the minor tweaking that most of us do.

Usually when I decide to fly a new aircraft, the first thing I do is adjust the cockpit so that I can get the flight path marker in frame when I'm landing. It's amazing how many aircraft do not have that out of the box. Then I add a HUD if there isn't one, or modify an existing HUD so the discretes are a comfortable size and to make sure the landing cues are in the right place. I then usually adjust the data file so I don't get 1000 mile missions and I check out the fuel tanks to see if they have the correct weight of fuel. After flying for a while I notice if certain graphics jiggle when the cockpit bounces at certain speeds. So those are the graphics I adjust. Sometimes it's just turning a single pixel line into a double pixel line, because the worst culprit is a light-coloured single pixel line on a dark-coloured background. Other times, the gauge discretes are a little unclear, so this is where double-sizing of the image works. The image files in the stock A-6 as supplied in SF1 are tiny. Double their size and you can paint bigger, more clear discretes.

I'm sure we all do this.