Sign in to follow this  
mandrews_2

NieuportN24 Skins

While dabbling in some skin editing with the NieuportN24_Bis_Lewis, I discovered the RFC-40 N24 skins have a continuity issues with the stripe painting at the top of the fuselage.  This is true even in the NieuportN24_Lewis version of the skins.

NieuportN24_Bis_Lewis_RFC-40.thumb.jpg.8a344ec368c4012fb2dddac27439172a.jpg

It seems that the fuselage top portion of the skin is getting scaled (stretched).  Here's the skin itself with a size grid laid on it. 

Capture.JPG.a2335b8253d0474fdb3f0644b18fe233.JPG

Looking at the tail stripes in the game, the top stripe is almost twice the width as the side stripe; but this isn't reflected in the skin file.  Is this fixable?

Thanks.  Could be something changed along the way, if it's only RFC40 it would be hard to fix on the model if it breaks other skins.

Edited by Polovski

Pol

It appears to be effecting all N24 skins that have bands.  Here are shots of the plain jane N24 (no Bis or Lewis) wingman skin for Esc 154 and a graffed skin for RFC-40 in QC so you can see where the warpage and distortion is.

I thought that this type of warpage was just part and parcel for trying to wrap a flat skin around a 3D model rather like trying to wrap a ball in a newspaper, warpage just happens.  Was not aware that this was in any way fixable, you just compensate for it the best you can.

n24 eSC 154.JPG

Nieuport.jpg

Edited by jerhear

It's just that the bands make the scaling obvious (as does Jerbear's image); but it's not just the flat->curve wrapping.  If you look at my skin image, there are 6 squares between the fore and aft stripes on the fuselage side and about 5.25 on the fuselage top.  BTW, the stripe continuity is fine of the fuselage belly.  Anyway, I'm leaving this in the hands of the experts.

Edited by mandrews_2

It is just the N24 (plain) then?

I can look at the model mapping something looks to have gone wonky there.

Edited by Polovski

I was going to paint a Neiuport years ago as the flying fish and found that there were all sorts of anomalies.  Things just didn't line up and if I remember properly there was a problem with the right side/end of the top wing, somehow it had mirrored the opposite end but not far enough in to include that "K" you see on the example, you could paint it but it just would not show up in the game.

Hi Pol 

No, what I was trying to say was that ANY N24 with a band will have this problem.

It sounds like a can-o-worms :/  will look if I can.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Polovski

Nice job on that can-o-worms Pol

I thank you and Mick Mannock, below, thanks you and thanks Man-drew for bringing it up.

Mannock.jpg

I Don't see a way to edit these posts.  SO...correction, that's not Mick, he's not showing in CQ because of coding problem when Mandrews mod is not on, it is the squadron default.  Still, great job.

Thanks, it's not perfect but it works for all the supplied BH&H II skins.  Any other skins not supplied in BH&H II may need adjusting when the stripes are made on the skin.

Edited by Polovski