Sign in to follow this  
CastelEtzwane

Archie can you hear me ?

IIRC, When I played hundreds (300+?) of missions with the UE edition of WOFF, my pilots were hit by Archie (anti-aircraft) a grand total of one time.

With the BHOH edition, my pilots have now probably flown more than a hundred missions by now.

My current pilot, a Frenchman starting in the Flanders region during winter 1917, has flown 30+ missions. What is remarkable is that he has now been hit by archie 3 times, resulting in 2 woundings and 2 forced landings.

I have flown several careers with British and German pilots using BHOH but none of them experienced damage from anti-aircraft that I know of. (Sorry, didn't start regularly reading 'Mission Review' to verify Archie damage until recent weeks)

Does anyone know if this is just the luck of the draw or is BHOH archie really more dangerous than UE archie ?

Furthermore, are some AA batteries more formidable than other Archie units ?

And lastly, will comment that I do not recall hearing any sound on any of the occasions when my French pilot's aircraft was struck by anti-aircraft. Neither was his aircraft's motion disturbed. However, injury and damage penalties were immediately applied and corresponding messages were displayed.

Shouldn't there be a loud sound,  accompanied by the aircraft being tossed about, when a plane is severely damaged by Archie? Some kind of effect would seem to be in order.

I agree with the effects that you are asking to be implemented, if they aren't at all implemented. Having played since phase 3, I've been killed maybe twice. I don't think I have been hit yet in the new version, so maybe bad luck?

From what I understand of German Archie, is that it did get nastier and more accurate later into the war, I suspect that there were areas more heavily defended with more guns, this is a reason that balloon busting was frowned upon. As the war progressed, the Germans developed effective Flak guns, things like SockelFlak etc, also the developed guns specifically for throwing as much hate skywards, as accurately as possible as they could, and they were very good at it, a trend to be repeated in WWII. Maybe the sector your gallant French aviator is flying in, happens to be one of those "unpleasant" and rather warm areas, where the attentions of Mr Archibald were more unwelcoming. Also, flying at low to medium altitude was a risky process at the best of times. It must have been terrible for Art Obs pilots, flying figure 8's whilst being potted at by every gunner for miles around.