Sign in to follow this  
WWI Flying Ace

Lafayette Escadrille Skins?

Except for maybe Thaw, none of the planes have markings. 

32 minutes ago, Burning Beard said:

Yep, the 17s fly with the early Indian head.

I think you are thinking about the N11s which are camo and quite often have a quarter moon.

Looking at the skin pack, looks like the Esc Laf was rather short changed.  The wingman skin, as you say, has no Indian, just camo and the only Indian head I see is Lufbery.  Looks like the Lufberys and the wingman are from the original pack in 2011 and Thaw was made in 2013.  The skins have been worked on and worked over by a number of people over the years.  Strange that the Laf Esc would have slipped through the cracks.  But S...happens.  Also, I guess if could be a lack of info, I don't know what's out there on the Laf Esc N17 especially in the ancient days of 2011.  Not one I'm well informed on, more of German aircraft kind of guy.

• Thanks 1

The one I find in the skins folder, off_Nieuport17_t_Esc Laf 1917.dds, which is the next to last N17 skin, has the Indian Head.  I assume this is default squad skin.  I fly the Esq Laf a lot, usually starting in the N10 and fight my way up the the N17 and I always see this skin on the wingmen.

I see it now B Beard...All I saw was the 1916, the 1917 has the head.

Snoopy WW1 FA you might be getting the N17 default skin instead of the wingman Laf Esc default.  The Sim is kind of hinky sometimes and takes against a skin.

Try these tricks to fool the Sim into recognizing the skin.  These are part of the troublshooting I use for my Mod skins.  The name of the game here is to fool the Sim into recognizing a skin it has taken against for its own reasons.

usually this problem is with an ace skin but this being a wingman default it will be a little different.  Disable an ace skin, Thaw or Lufbery's by adding a letter on to the end of their name.  Rename that default skin exactly like the skin you disabled should be and start a mission that included that pilot.  If it appears as the default skin you're in business and should be able to change the two skin names back and every thing should be copasetic.

What you will see here is a very strange looking bird, say a Fokker DVII with a Nieuport skin draped over it like a quilt.  That's a good thing, that means the Sim recognizes the skin.

Still no dice?  After you finish cursing, rename the skin with the name of a pilot from the “other side” of the conflict, it doesn't matter what type of machine. Then start this skin in QC and if it works there, switch everything back again and try running it again in Campaign.

If the above does not work, try the same thing again only run the skin in campaign as the pilot from the other side.  If that works you should be able to put everything back to rights and the skin should work in campaign as it should.

That clear enough:stars:

Ace skins for the Nieuport 17s are rather poorly represented for the Lafayette Esc in relation to their other plane assignments.  Excluding the squadron default skins, there are 14 Nieuport 11 skins, 16 Spad VII skins, and only 3 N17 skins (2 for Lufbery and one for Thaw).  Sounds like a good research & contribution project.

Also, I also see default squadron skins for both the base Nieuport17 and for the Nieuport17_Lewis.  I haven't looked to see what the squadron actually gets assigned; but that might explain a bit more of the confusion.