Sign in to follow this  
MechaStalin

Fictional Parani modernized MiG-19

Hi guys I havent done any modding for Strike Fighters 2 before but I was working on a little something here for personal use and thought id post about it. If there is demand id be happy to release it as long as paulopanz and the people credited in his readme are ok assuming I credit them too?

On my facebook I have been running lets plays with some friends in strike fignters 2 where I modify the campaigns (also my first time doing that) and among adding new things use the knownace command to add them as max stat ai pilots in the squadron. We fly a mercenary squadron and everyone picks a plane and I take screenshots and do a write up of everyones exploits for that mission Its been a lot of fun.

Ive started working on the campaign for the next one and after discovering all the area 88 skins here I decided to lean into the area 88 inspiration in the mercenary campaigns that and do an area 88 inspired campaign based in early 1980 for the lets play. (the ova shows shins contract dated april 79 iirc) its going to focus mainly on just dhimar and paran duking it out with largely older and outdated planes but with newer missiles available and only a very few modern fighters around like f14, mig23ml, f16a etc. Mostly stuff like mig 17 19 and some 21s, older mirages, f100s and f104s, f8s etc.

I got the idea for Paran having a mig19 upgraded in the 70s and thought it could be a fun idea and came up with an upgraded MiG-19S called M-74. It is really just some basic ini edits and compiling stuff into one place but it ended up being a very fun plane to fly.

Its essentially a MiG19S with a greatly enhanced fuel capacity, i imagine a long dorsal hump like on the mig21s witn the extra tank up tbere. It has the extra hard points of the Soviet 1960 field mod.

It has been updated to be compatible with newer weapons. It can carry R60s and is compatible with the double r60 racks on the outermost pylons.

inspired by the what if Dhimari Lightnings I came up with a bit of a story being Paran is looking to upgrade their stocks of outdated MiG19s. At some point someone from Parani air force sees a demonstration of the R60 missile and a deal is hatched where the planes were sent back to the Soviet Union, refurbished, installed with the new fuel tank which also helped with the fuel leak issues for more range and compatbility with new R60 missile as well as the double rack from the MiG23 when it was available.

The planes usually carried 2 Atolls and later on in service improved atolls on the innermost pylons for larger targets or longer range but R60 can be carried there as well. The middle pylons were used for the fuel tanks and the outer pylons carried either 1x or 2xR60 missiles. Usually only 1 missile was mounted unless intense air combat was expected.

I am thinking about doing a version of this plane for the MiG19P with an improved radar off say a mig21 and compatbility with some of the large SARH missiles like tbe SU15 or MiG25 carries on the outer pylons but im not sure of I can do a major avionics change with my skills and id also have to look if such missiles will even fit haha.

FB_IMG_1631491513849.jpg

FB_IMG_1631491521244.jpg

FB_IMG_1631491518626.jpg

FB_IMG_1631491524249.jpg

FB_IMG_1631491516133.jpg

• Like 3

I also made a quick video of me dogfighting some F4s with some music from the area 88 trance cd.

I used the time skip command so I had a lot more fuel than I normally would haha.

• Like 4

Your improved MiG-19 could looks like this:

mig_sm-12.thumb.jpg.610862013bfee632ddbcd36897816552.jpg

It is prototyp SM-12PM.

And so it looked in real life:

mig_sm-12_2.jpg.33c5485a79b1fbd8ce76b69b093759f6.jpg

It was a combination of MiG-21PF air intake, cockpit and radarsystem with the fuselage, wings of the MiG-19PM. The engines were R3M-26 with 25 kN dry and 32kN afterburner. The fuel consumption was reduced, so that the range could be increased by 600 km. The top speed was increased by 288 km/h.

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 3

Oh wow that is really cool! Im surprised ive never heard of this plane. My 3d modelling skills are very poor and I havent used them in a long time so I dont think I am going to make any model edits. Maybe I can use that engine though! I havent edited an engine in sf2 yet though.

Btw when reading about the mig19 I noticed that the mig19r had an uprated engine. Does anyone have specs on how much more power that engine made? I was just thinking about ideas for the radar equipped version of this plane focused as more of a fighter/interceptor.

Edited by Wrench
PLEASE!!! Do =NOT= quote posts with images attached!!!

MiG-19R and MiG-19SF used IIRC the RD-9BF-811 engine.

This engine had a military thrust of 29 kN and with afterburner 37 kN. The fuel consumption was 104 kg/kN*h dry and 169 kg/kN*h with afterburner. The engine weights 725 kg.

3 hours ago, Gepard said:

MiG-19R and MiG-19SF used IIRC the RD-9BF-811 engine.

This engine had a military thrust of 29 kN and with afterburner 37 kN. The fuel consumption was 104 kg/kN*h dry and 169 kg/kN*h with afterburner. The engine weights 725 kg.

Thank you so much for your help!

If everything is ok with crediting the original authors I may upload the addon in a few days once I decide if im going to make a second version.

MiG-19SM-12P

img00385.thumb.JPG.218e9df73bf91167389420fe6f9f6714.JPG

img00239.JPG

Edited by starfighter2
  • Like 5

Wow thats great! Is that a model of your own creation starfighter?

I took a look at the thrust values in the data ini and doing a bit of math it seems there are in newtons? So i applied the thrust for the upgraded rd9 and the plane is even more fun and can accelerate and climb very well.

However I was wondering how exactly is fuel use calculated? I didnt see anything obvious in the ini relating to fiel use other than the minimum fuel flow. Is it calculated automatically based off of thrust and other values? I wanted to make sure the fuel use was in line with the uprated rd9 engines but forgive me i dont know much about turbine engines and how they use fuel and what the values mean.

Thank you for your help guys, this plane is turning out to be very fun to fly against technologically superior opponents.