whiteknight06604

Combatace access issues.

The other day I started getting “Forbidden” “you do not have permission to access this document “ every time I try to get on Combatace. That was on Microsoft edge . I can’t figure it out so I switched to Firefox and it worked for a day then I started getting the same error message. I have no trouble getting on with my phone but on my PC it’s no dice. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by whiteknight06604
Fixed spelling

Well could be one of many things including your network connection, interface cabling, router (if you are WiFi plug in a cable and leave it there.) 

Virus scan the PC.

Second delete all cookies and cache from your browsers.

I'm getting the same "403 Forbidden" problem though, on XFINITY as I can't access the site on Firefox (phone works fine too), but can access the site via Microsoft Edge. So I don't think it's his router or wifi acting up as I'm having the issue too on a different setup. I didn't change anything as far as router or anything different, so it seems more like a site issue rather than a personal issue.

Also should note that it worked fine yesterday on Firefox no issues, today it's giving me the 403 Forbidden error today.

Edited by EricJ

Had them on occasion a few months ago too, on both Chrome and Edge, but usually reloading the page solved them. Haven't had them in a while.

No trouble accessing the site from my end - on the older Edge (HTML/Trident based), Firefox (extended support release), Pale Moon (fork of an older ver. of Firefox). I recommend re-setting/re-starting your router and/or cable modem - also clearing cache/passwords/history in your desktop web browsers, as per the good advice posted in posts above mine.

Also, if you are using the newer Edge/Chredge (Chromium-based) - or upgraded to it recently from the older Edge - double-check settings in the upgraded Edge (might be the case that the problem is there, somewhere, in the settings - since I noticed on my laptop that some settings were changed once Edge rolled over to Chredge in my ver. 2004 Win10 install). On my desktop computer, on the other hand, I've locked down my Win10 Bootcamp partition to ver. 1809 of Win10 - so I still have the older Edge there (older and newer Edges by the way can co-exist in Win10 but it requires some settings tweaks as per this post, and others).

Good luck with the tweaks,

Von S :buba:

Yeah tried resetting the router and no joy. I guess it is the personal access as now I cannot access the site on either Edge or Firefox. It times out now but other sites work fine. Ill keep trying though.

For all experiencing this problem it is not your machine, your browser (well mostly not), or your internet so please don't go crazy trying to diagnose it. The problem is in our hardware firewall configuration, I've made some changes and bounced the machine to affect the new configuration. If you are still getting the 403-error message, please let me know. The rule that is being triggered is what's called a request limit. Machines that DDOS sites make large quantity of page requests which all appear like a separate connection thus overwhelming the http daemon running a site. Modern browsers do the same thing but in a smaller quantity, they do this so that each connection takes a section of an entire page, and the browser rebuilds it to be a complete page, this is what looks like browser speed lowering the load times. The tricky part for us is all those connections can mimic a DDOS if your machine and browser are fast, which most modern machines are. If you want to see this for yourself open your browser and visit a site, for example Chrome and CA, then open your task manager and look at how many processes (instances) are running of Chrome. The rub is you can't control how a browser functions internally, there's no settings you can change to make it function differently. The only option is for the server-side to keep allocating resources to accommodate newer functionality. All that said you can download a lite version of a browser and they are designed specifically not to overwhelm your device thus they will have a smaller instance count. That's also why accessing the site on your phone works when your lap or desk devices have problems. Anyway, I'm sure this is all boring, let me know if I've gotten things right on our end and if your problems are resolved.

E

• Thanks 2

Thanks for that Erik as I'm still having issues on my laptop. Phone works fine though.

From my end I have no issues on my desktop or my phone. 

• Like 1

after about a day where I couldn't access on any device I'm back to being able to get on with Firefox but not on edge. Glad to know it's not on my end. thank you all for the help.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EricJ said:

Thanks for that Erik as I'm still having issues on my laptop. Phone works fine though.

Makes little sense to me at all, same IP you're using the devices from or is the laptop on a home IP and the phone on a carrier IP? Regardless I've flushed the blocks and restarted the machine again. There's were no hit records in the logs for the past 24 hours like I had before so there shouldn't be any problems related to the firewall blocking you. Please let me know.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, whiteknight06604 said:

after about a day where I couldn't access on any device I'm back to being able to get on with Firefox but not on edge. Glad to know it's not on my end. thank you all for the help.

That really makes no sense, backup and reinstall Microsoft Edge if the stock version of Edge works then when you import the backup data it doesn't work, you'll know where to start looking. Additionally, you can install Chrome to see if that works which leads me back to suspecting Edge.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Erik said:

Makes little sense to me at all, same IP you're using the devices from or is the laptop on a home IP and the phone on a carrier IP? Regardless I've flushed the blocks and restarted the machine again. There's were no hit records in the logs for the past 24 hours like I had before so there shouldn't be any problems related to the firewall blocking you. Please let me know.

The laptop is on a home IP and the phone is on a carrier IP. I now get 403 Forbidden on Firefox and Edge  works fine (posting with that right now) so if  you're  done with what  you're doing I may have to wait  on an  update with Firefox or hope the problem just goes away.

yeah for most of the morning firefox,my phone and edge would not access combatace. now with me doing nothing firefox works but the others don't. Could still be on my end,i'll mess with edge and see if anything changes.

• Like 1

I'm getting the strange feeling, from the latest posts, that older Edge (html/Trident-based) is working fine, but newer Edge/Chredge (Chromium-based) is experiencing hiccups with CombatAce - may be speculation from my end but perhaps something worth looking into.

Good luck all and hope that you experience smooth connecting with CombatAce soon,

Von S :smile:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EricJ said:

The laptop is on a home IP and the phone is on a carrier IP. I now get 403 Forbidden on Firefox and Edge  works fine (posting with that right now) so if  you're  done with what  you're doing I may have to wait  on an  update with Firefox or hope the problem just goes away.

Backup Firefox, remove it and reinstall. Then check if the problem goes away. You can then import your backup and start troubleshooting from there as needed. There's no need for us to block specific browsers, if you have access to the site, it doesn't matter to us which browser you use. Let me know how things turn out.

E

21 hours ago, whiteknight06604 said:

yeah for most of the morning firefox,my phone and edge would not access combatace. now with me doing nothing firefox works but the others don't. Could still be on my end,i'll mess with edge and see if anything changes.

Can you look in the about tab of Firefox and report to me the version you're running? Please do the same for Edge. I'm going to see if I can duplicate your problems here. I'll report back after installing both browsers.

E

Microsoft Edge - Version 93.0.961.52 (Official build) (64-bit)
Firefox - Version 92.0 (64-bit)

Those are the version I updated to and tried accessing CA without any issues.

I have the same versions.

Cannot recreate it on any browser or on an iPhone (Safari)

Browser extensions....are you running any across all browsers like one from a security program?

Does it let you see any pages at all or is it always the same message?

6 hours ago, Erik said:

Backup Firefox, remove it and reinstall. Then check if the problem goes away. You can then import your backup and start troubleshooting from there as needed. There's no need for us to block specific browsers, if you have access to the site, it doesn't matter to us which browser you use. Let me know how things turn out.

E

No change. I redid Firefox and still  get the same error. I can access it on Edge so there's no big deal on what browser to use (gives me an excuse to use it I guess). Also I'm on 92.0 Firefox (64-bit) and wondering what is causing this issue but as said I have Edge (93.0.961.52 (Official build) (64-bit))  and can access  the site fine. 

Edited by EricJ

6 hours ago, EricJ said:

No change. I redid Firefox and still  get the same error. I can access it on Edge so there's no big deal on what browser to use (gives me an excuse to use it I guess). Also I'm on 92.0 Firefox (64-bit) and wondering what is causing this issue but as said I have Edge (93.0.961.52 (Official build) (64-bit))  and can access  the site fine. 

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-cant-load-websites-other-browsers-can

If there's a KnowledgeBase on the issue it's fairly common. Go through this step by step and see which one fixes your issue. Let me know 

E

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Erik said:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-cant-load-websites-other-browsers-can

If there's a KnowledgeBase on the issue it's fairly common. Go through this step by step and see which one fixes your issue. Let me know 

E

No joy. I did all of the tricks and no luck. It's not a big deal to open up Edge and access the site. Maybe an update will fix the problem later on.

For giggles delete all the combatace.com cookies and cached pages, restart you browser, and see if that fixes it.

• Thanks 1