All, been out of regular modding for a long time due to real life demands.  I'm getting things fired back up, but I can't remember the degree of export support on 3ds Max Opacity Maps.

For example, can I apply an opacity map as follows and the exporter will support the setting and applied texture map?

Alternatively, of course I could combine the textures - in the diffuse map create a new alpha channel and import the alpha mask texture and save as .tga - but it would save a lot of time and effort if the Opacity Map setting was natively supported.

Appreciate any insight on this, thanks. 

3ds Max Map Panel:  I've applied Opacity Map Texture

image.png.c7fef0b8b79433afa45b82809025171b.png

Sample Opacity Map Texture:  rw6_alfa.jpg (gray scale opacity map saved as .jpg)

image.png.e248d195f3735fedc03a4745f9f1aa86.png

11 hours ago, swambast said:

Alternatively, of course I could combine the textures - in the diffuse map create a new alpha channel and import the alpha mask texture and save as .tga - but it would save a lot of time and effort if the Opacity Map setting was natively supported.

This is possible?  I once tried to combine diffuse and reflection maps (reflection using the alpha channel) but with no success.

Hi Sophocles, yes this should work if I'm understanding you correctly and of course it must be exported as .tga only as that is the only native transparency that the game engine supports as far as I know.

Hello Swambast, I'm intruiged.. When trying to get both maps on the same texture (using the Alpha map) , how would you "direct" max to regard the alpha as an opacity/specular/reflection map?