I have two different packs that include the MIM-23B HAWK missile in them. There are significant differences in the _data.ini files between the two versions. I have included parts of the _data.ini files below. It seems the GKABS missile is much better across the board based on the numbers. Is there any way to rectify this or can the _data.ini files be used interchangeably?

MIM-23B (GKABS HAWK 1.0.3)                                        HAWK B (SF2 SAMS Pack)

GuidanceType=12                                                                  GuidanceType=12
Accuracy=80                                                                           Accuracy=70
MaxTurnRate=15.000000                                                      MaxTurnRate=15.000000
MaxLaunchG=6.000000                                                         MaxLaunchG=3.000000
LockonChance=85                                                                  LockonChance=80
LaunchReliability=95                                                             LaunchReliability=85
ArmingTime=0.400000                                                          ArmingTime=2.000000
SeekerFOV=120.000000                                                        SeekerFOV=60.000000
SeekerGimbleLimit=180.000000                                           SeekerGimbleLimit=135.000000
SeekerTrackRate=13.000000                                                 SeekerTrackRate=13.000000
SeekerRange=55000.000000                                                  SeekerRange=40000.000000
//
MinLaunchRange=1500.000000                                            MinLaunchRange=1500.000000
MaxLaunchRange=39357.337000                                          MaxLaunchRange=40000.00000
Duration=60.000000                                                               Duration=183.000000
CounterCountermeasure=50.000000                                      CounterCountermeasure=40.000000
NoiseRejection=60.000000                                                    NoiseRejection=40.000000
CapabilityFlags=0x10000003                                                 CapabilityFlags=0x10000000
//
BoosterDuration=5.000000                                                    BoosterDuration=5.000000
BoosterAccel=30.000000                                                       BoosterAccel=16.722000
//
SustainerDuration=21.000000                                                SustainerDuration=21.000000
SustainerAccel=10.000000                                                     SustainerAccel=1.429000

• Like 1

You should be able to copy and paste the values into each file. If you can open an ini file you can copy and paste as you please without hassle.

Ini files are just like text files. You can cut, copy, and paste as necessary to get what you want. That and I would  just simply use the better one instead of two styles in one install, but that's just me.

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 2

he beat me to it on the file portion

GKABS work is much newer and more detailed than the older pack. not to put the old missiles down, its just a matter of being more recent and being able to build on and improve the older works.

why not just use GKABS HAWK? unless there is some specific reason to use the older set, i would generally use the newer set when possible

• Like 2

I am using the GKABS pack as I have found mixing packs can lead to problems and I agree with you on the newer sets.

I understand that metric units are used in the  _data.ini files. I assume that the BoosterAccel and SustainerAccel values are in meters/second squared.

My issue is that the acceleration rates are much higher in GKABS data. This makes the missile harder to defeat as its kinematic performance is much greater.

When I do the math the GKABS missile is traveling at 150m/s at booster burnout and 360m/s at sustainer burnout and the other missile is traveling at about 84m/s at booster burnout and about 114m/s at sustainer burnout.

This converts to a speed of about 1180ft/s for GKABS and 374ft/s for the other missile. Both of these are well below the 2700ft/s value that equals the published M2.4 speed of the Hawk.

So now I am thoroughly confused. Am I using the wrong units to arrive at the velocities?

• Like 1

why not just use GKABS HAWK? unless there is some specific reason to use the older set, i would generally use the newer set when possible

What he said.

are you converting the fps to mps??? EVERYTHING in this game is metric.

also, I'd really just leave them alone. There's always been an "issue" with Western SAMs since the first ones were released around 2005. The game is slightly biased towareds RED side air defence. (so much so, after NA came out and a bunch of twats whined about having their asses blown off by RED shipboard SAMs, TK dumbed the down)

Basically, if it works, DON'T fix it

• Like 1

I really should finish and release those new Nike missiles. Not that Red side players will enjoy them.:grin:

• Haha 1

F'ck them! If it flys, it DIES!!

Thank you for the simulator file. I have determined that there is a problem with the drag coefficients as well as they are too low. Also, the GKABS missile burns out at M6.75 and can travel 177km before its speed drops back below M1 in the range simulator.

615511f5997a4_RangeResultsMIM-23B.png.1f1501b3acb90ed3636dd86f90ffa511.png

I made some adjustments and got this. The burnout velocity matches available information (M2.7) and the range is much reduced (40.8km).

615514468c1f8_RangeResultsMIM-23BAdjusted.png.2bb4c976265328c80529d54f957922bb.png

range should be 25 miles (ish). The old Polack versions (2005) had a revamp later one, by Nichols Bell, who had served in a HAWK battery in Europe. So, the man actually knew his Real World (tm) stuff on that missile