I have been testing blue side Hawk batteries in the desert map and have noticed that the location seems to have something to do with whether the missile launchers, radar and supporting AAA guns will show up in a mission. I believe that a large, static site like a SAM battery must be located near a logistics node such as a city or some of the vehicles may not appear in a mission. Further, the computer seems to prioritize inert, static objects such as the ICC, then the radars, then the AAA guns and finally the launchers if the entire system is not present during the mission.

My Hawk batteries consist of two separate locations in the Desert_targets.ini file and consist of three launchers, one ICWAR, one HIPIR, one ICC and one supporting AAA gun of the computer's choice. The radius of each location is 200 meters, the centers are 100 meters from each other and the batteries are arranged in two half circles that complement each other.

as i stated earlier in another thread, the engine is NOT friendly to BLUE side SAMS.

also, if you use a direct call out for a type of unit -- ANY SAM unit, launcher, EWR or SAMRadar), they disappear from ALL RWRs. You must use generic terms. Which causes other problems -- even networked units (HAWKS, Patriot, SA-2/3/5/6/etc) will mix and match.

This is an issue we terraformers have been dealing with since the early 2000s. THERE IS NO FIX FOR THIS -- experts have already trod the ground you walking on. 

I know for a fact, there are already modified Desert targets and types inis that have added Blue AD units. Instead of beating your head against the wall, why not just search those out, and take advantage of the work of your forefathers <gr>

I should know, I buit, or rebuilt, most the terrains around here over the last nearly 20 years

• Like 1

I did not direct call the active units. I only forced it to put in the ICC as it appears to do nothing the PAR, ICWAR and HIPIR don't do already. The PARs, HIPIRs and ICWARs show up on the RWRs.

My post is not about getting a specific unit to show up. I simplified that by using only Hawk B and associated equipment. The computer has no other choice. The point is that there seems to be some radius around the operational and strategic nodes on the map that may be linked to a supply route and these ranges aren't readily apparent.

Never been a problem for me placing them anywhere on the map. Obviously, they're in logical places; new airfields, outside of cities, oil fields. Even inside a countries border, facing the likely approach routes for E/A.

So, I can't explain or understand the issue your presenting

Righteous26 The blue side SAM issue has been discussed many times throught the years. They are not actually so functionable as the red side SAMs because stock game was made with red side SAM functionality only. As Wrench said there are already modified terrain_target.inis and terrain_types.inis which have added blue side SAM capability. If you add correctly this modifications you can even see vintage MIM-14 Hercules batteries targeting red side aircrafts. You can also modify them by yourself. The SAM functionality of this game is based on a central fire cotrol radar and six peripheral launchers. EW radars do not have any serious impact at least from my experience. The game engine is quite old and has numerous limitations. Pay attention on using generic terms and not calling directly a specific SAM type else the system goes into stealth mode and you will be targeted by "ghost" SAM batteries. 

• Thanks 1

There is a limit of Flak, SAM and Radar units per target area. The game engine will handle only 16 units per target area. If you have more, the engine ignore such units.

• Like 1

I forgot that limit!

ran into that heavily when we did the first ODS terrain in 2008. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By JamesWilson
      Hi everyone,
      I'm trying to recreate the 1st Gulf of Sidra Incident with my F-14A Tomcats and my Su-22M3 Fitters, doing it extremely historically accurate, paying attention to every little detail.
      So far i've done everything, and it's almost identical to the real one, but there's ONE issue i can't figure out, let me explain:
      During the morning of the 19th of August 1981 two F-14A Tomcats intercepted two Libyan Su-22M3 Fitters in the Gulf of Sidra.
      The Fitters were equipped with two AA-2 "Atoll".
      Just before the merge, while nose-to-nose, one of the two Fitters fired a missile to one of the two Tomcats, but being the missile a very old and primitive heatseeker, it started tracked and going for the Tomcat, but as soon as the F-14 made a slight break, the Atoll lost its track.
      The PROBLEM IS:
      There's no way i can make the Fitters shoot the missiles before merging, if only the AA-2, or any other equippable missile was all-aspect or radar guided just like the R-23, i think it would work.
      I tried having a head-on merge with two Mig-23 Floggers equipped with radar guided R-23s and they shot at me before merging.
      I tried all other available missiles and nothing changed, some didn't show either.
      I tried copying and pasting the Data file from the Aim-7 to the R-60 Data file, and nothing changed.
      I tried changing the loadout file to R-23, but the Fitters show up without any weapon since there's no R-23 option in loadout for Su-23M3s, so i think it's not possible to have them (and would be historically inaccurate too).
      I tried changing enemy difficulty from Normal to Hard, but nothing changes still.
      The only thing the Fitters do is shooting their guns just before the merge, but no missiles are fired when nose-to-nose.
      Is there a way to fix this? A way i can make my Fitters fire at least one of their missiles when we're nose-to-nose, just like when i got nose-to-nose against Floggers equipped with R-23s?
      Is it a problem with the enemy AI? Or with the missiles? Or maybe even with the Su-22M3 Fitter i'm using?
      Thank you very much for helping me
    • By GKABS
      I decided to make a post so I can put all my work in one place I hope you okay with that.
      Okay here is the update of the M978/M977 HEMTT more detail will be added but this is how it looks so far.

• By obin91
      Hi everyone 
      I'm downloaded few weeks ago the socotra terrain but I have a little issue about sam systems. All Static sam site ( execpt SA-5) explodes when they're firing. 
      Anyone has the same issue ? 
      Lando 
    • By angelp

View File HQ-9 Self Propelled Air Defence System
      HQ-9 Self Propelled Air Defence System
      The FD-2000/HQ-9 was developed to provide a long range SAM capability, distinct from the medium range capabilities of the HQ-12/KS-1 series. The FT-2000 is a derivative which is fitted with an anti-radiation seeker and intended for engagements against AEW&C/AWACS and stand-off jamming aircraft.
      The HQ-9 is supported by the HT-233 phased array engagement radar, like the H-200 modelled on the MPQ-53 and 30N6E designs, carried on a Taian  TAS5501 series 10 x 10 high mobility vehicle, common to the HQ-9 TEL and similar in design to the S-400's BAZ-6900 series vehicle. Chinese sources claim C-band operation with 300 MHz receiver/antenna bandwidth, detection and tracking range of 150/100 km, and monopulse angle tracking to resist jamming. The design bears considerable similarity to the 30N6E series, especially in the antenna design.
      Recently disclosed imagery shows the use of the  self-propelled Type 305A, Type 305B and Type 120 radars as  the battery acquisition  radar component. The designation FD-2000 is for export configurations of the HQ-9.
      Instalation:
      -------------------------------------------------------------
      Put the content of the objects/ folder in your mod folder.
      Crédits : 
      --------------------------------------------------------------
      3d Model, textures, INI files: angelp
      This addon is and will in all cases remain freeware, and is only allowed to be available here in Combat Ace
      Released under Combat Ace Fair-Use terms
      Submitter angelp Submitted 12/05/2021 Category Ground Object Mods  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..