Sign in to follow this  

Hello fellow FE2-ers,

Just a quick note for those running FE2 on Intel-based Macs (either in a WINE program or directly in Win7, 8.1, 10, etc. in Bootcamp) -- that you might find the info. in the following post (regarding WOFF/WOTR and the latest M1, ARM-based Macs) helpful. In short, for now - recommended is to keep flying FE2 only on Intel-based Macs, in versions of Windows no later than Win10.

No guarantees at this point that Win11 can be effectively "shoehorned" onto Intel-Mac hardware, nor any guarantees as to how well FE2 may run in Win11, if at all.

Furthermore, the latest ARM-based Macs only support ARM-based vers. (not the x64 branch) of Win11, and only via virtualization (no direct bare-metal Win11/ARM installs available for latest Macs so far -- the point is ultimately an irrelevant one I suppose since FE2 will never be "translated" to run as an ARM-based application anyway -- and I doubt that it would run stably using the x86/x64 virtualization layer that is found inside ARM-based Win11 installs anyway).

Happy flying all,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Edited post.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By VonS

View File Tweaked Flight Models and Realism Pack for FE2
      Hello Fellow Fliers of First Eagles 2,
      Version 11.0 of the FM/Realism Package for FE2 contains approximately 220 WWI aircraft types and sub-types, for your (virtual) flying enjoyment. For detailed installation instructions, please check over the main "Read Me First" file that is included, as well as several older (pdf) files and that cover aircraft performance info., tips, etc., across all previous versions of the FM update package.
      A great many thanks go out to Peter01 and Ojcar, also TexMurphy, for making most of those flight model files to begin with. Also a great thanks goes out to Stephen1918, MontyCZ and Laton for providing lots of beautiful planes and skins that go with those great flight models, to NBell for the many hitbox improvements provided for the planes, also to VonOben, Mike Dora and Crawford for many helpful suggestions, and to the A-Team by SkunkWorks for allowing me to tweak a few of the FMs for their models too. And of course a very big thanks goes out to Geezer for several fantastic, high-quality models that were produced for FE2.
      What I've done is tinkered with the data files further. Modifications in all cases, to a greater or lesser extent, include data under the following sections:

(a) MissionData
      (b) FlightControl
      (c) AIData
      (d) Sound
      (e) AircraftData
      (f) Engine
      (g) Crew
      (h) Internal Guns
      (i) Control Surfaces
      (j) Landing Gears
      (k) Fuselage, Nose, Tail, Vertical Tail, LeftStab, RightStab, Rudder, Left/Right/Inner/Middle/Outer/Tip Wing components

Enjoy and happy flying!,
      Von S
      NOTES: For several of Geezer's latest aircraft and my FMs for those aircraft (Nieuports, Pfalzes, etc.), which are not included in this package, please see the relevant post located towards the bottom of page 25 of the "New Aircraft" thread for FE2, on CombatAce. Also see relevant posts on pages 26, 27, and 28 of that same thread for Geezer's "early beta" collection that contains the Breguet XIV, Junkers J.I, and other updates, including performance info. for some of those aircraft types.
      DISCLAIMER: All Von S mods., for FE2, SF2, also WOFFue/pe/bh&h2, as well as for RoF (United Ed.), are subject to the CombatAce "freeware" terms of agreement. Mods. may be shared with others, included on other media devices, also modded further, providing that original documentation and/or credit is included, and providing that the mods. remain free to use. Von S mods. shall not be sold, resold, etc., and Von S takes no responsibility for injuries or fixations that may result from flying heavily tweaked FMs or from attempts to enjoy real flying without aid or instruction from a qualified flight instructor.

Submitter VonS Submitted 10/16/2015 Category Flight Models  
    • By VonS
      Hello Fellow Fliers of First Eagles 2,
      Version 11.0 of the FM/Realism Package for FE2 contains approximately 220 WWI aircraft types and sub-types, for your (virtual) flying enjoyment. For detailed installation instructions, please check over the main "Read Me First" file that is included, as well as several older (pdf) files and that cover aircraft performance info., tips, etc., across all previous versions of the FM update package.
      A great many thanks go out to Peter01 and Ojcar, also TexMurphy, for making most of those flight model files to begin with. Also a great thanks goes out to Stephen1918, MontyCZ and Laton for providing lots of beautiful planes and skins that go with those great flight models, to NBell for the many hitbox improvements provided for the planes, also to VonOben, Mike Dora and Crawford for many helpful suggestions, and to the A-Team by SkunkWorks for allowing me to tweak a few of the FMs for their models too. And of course a very big thanks goes out to Geezer for several fantastic, high-quality models that were produced for FE2.
      What I've done is tinkered with the data files further. Modifications in all cases, to a greater or lesser extent, include data under the following sections:

(a) MissionData
      (b) FlightControl
      (c) AIData
      (d) Sound
      (e) AircraftData
      (f) Engine
      (g) Crew
      (h) Internal Guns
      (i) Control Surfaces
      (j) Landing Gears
      (k) Fuselage, Nose, Tail, Vertical Tail, LeftStab, RightStab, Rudder, Left/Right/Inner/Middle/Outer/Tip Wing components

Enjoy and happy flying!,
      Von S
      NOTES: For several of Geezer's latest aircraft and my FMs for those aircraft (Nieuports, Pfalzes, etc.), which are not included in this package, please see the relevant post located towards the bottom of page 25 of the "New Aircraft" thread for FE2, on CombatAce. Also see relevant posts on pages 26, 27, and 28 of that same thread for Geezer's "early beta" collection that contains the Breguet XIV, Junkers J.I, and other updates, including performance info. for some of those aircraft types.
      DISCLAIMER: All Von S mods., for FE2, SF2, also WOFFue/pe/bh&h2, as well as for RoF (United Ed.), are subject to the CombatAce "freeware" terms of agreement. Mods. may be shared with others, included on other media devices, also modded further, providing that original documentation and/or credit is included, and providing that the mods. remain free to use. Von S mods. shall not be sold, resold, etc., and Von S takes no responsibility for injuries or fixations that may result from flying heavily tweaked FMs or from attempts to enjoy real flying without aid or instruction from a qualified flight instructor.

• By MarkEAW
      I recently updated my ACT ToolKit Help Document, with re writes and additional text. It is much easier to read and I've improved the understanding better for Windows 8.1/10 use.
      After that I did some tests with it to see if performance can be increased in Windows 10 in D3D mode for EAW. (natively, straight with no wrapper program).
      I have found some Fixes that work to increase speed, but just a bit. ;)
      This Help Document explains the Microsoft ACT Toolkit and some usage instructions plus my on going testing results.
      If you like working with the Registry or want to work with Compatibility Toolkit program by testing different settings , This doc is for you! :)
      Here' s the page from my web site: https://eaw.neocities.org/windows-act-toolkit.html
      It can get complicated, but if you have questions, please ask them here, and I'll try to answer them. Thanks!
    • By Eagle114th
      Hello everyone,

I am sharing what I am working on with the team.  It is a slow project because we do it for the hobby.  We are flowing along with it, and there is no ETA.  Initially, I worked on Dhimar and Paran expansion pack without much research, which led me to do a project that made no sense.  That was an opportunity for me to learn how to do it properly, especially in a semi-realistic way that makes sense.
      I decided to discontinue Dhimar and Paran expansion project because I didn't want to change the stories written by TW. Therefore, I want to honor his work.  Thank the community and friends for inspiring me to work on an entirely new fictional nation that I can envision and bring into SF2.  A friend of mine recommended I look into the Africa map, where the imaginary nations of Saad and Zafir come in.
      What took the longest time was actual research about the nations around the horn of Africa and the Arabian Peninsula and the ancient civilization around that area.  The research on the language, cultures, and history was also involved.  It taught me many new things, which opened me to Africa and the Arab world.  
      This is how Saad and Zafir get an enriched history and depths with the cultures, languages, and where they come from.  This led me from just making SF2 mods into writing a book. I never thought I would do it, yet I am doing it as a hobby.
      Then it came to me; this book is not just for SF2; it can be used for any simulation. It taught me how to be creative with the stories, including the graphic designs (flags, insignia, roundel, pilot badges, and other materials).  
      After finishing the short history series about Saad and Zafir's ancestors,  I can start focusing on finding the right aircraft for Saad and Zafir.  It is intended that Saad and Zafir are truly unique to each other and the world of SF2.  It won't be another classic "USA aircraft vs. Soviets Aircraft."  Instead, they use various aircraft tied to Saad and Zafir history with connections to certain nations from Europe to the Middle East to Asia.  They will still use some of the United States and Soviets aircraft, though. 

My friend has been a great teacher who taught me a lot about the military system and how they do things.  I can make Saad and Zafir military semi-realistic with it, especially when being fictional nations.  I intend to bridge the alternative world (SFAW) with this world in balanced ways.

By the way, here is the information about the SFAW project:

I will give you the brief background about Saad and Zafir.

NOTE:  I am NOT an expert with the language of Tigrinya.  I am still looking for someone who knows the Tigrinya languages.  I find them to be very interesting.  It is intended that the language of Tigrinya for Saad is one of the native languages.  That way, Saad can be fully immersive in the book and SF2.

ሳድ (Saad) - (1920 – Present)

الظافر (Zafir) - (1930 – Present)

FAQs

Cheers!
    • By VonS
      Hello Gents',

I have been investigating the core string and ini files that make up FE2 - primarily to see if multiplayer can be reintroduced. The relevant files can be found in the MenuData.cat and MenuText.cat files of the "Menu" folder of the actual game (not in the user folder for the game).

I managed to restore the "multiplayer" button to the main screen of the game, but it leads nowhere. Also possible to restore was the "network" button under the options settings - but again this led nowhere when you click on it.

It seems that each STR (string?) file requires a corresponding INI (initialization) file to work at all. Most of the files have both components, such as is the case with OPTIONSSCREEN.INI and OPTIONSSCREEN.STR - the ini file contains the relevant buttons, lists, codes, placements, lots of other things too, and the str component file contains the relevant data calls that correspond with what is called for in the ini file.

I was however stumped to find that most of the network sub-option files have the STR component files in place - but ini files for those are all missing, perhaps having been removed by the game designer - or perhaps there is a more obscure way of calling up those string files that I am not aware of with my very limited knowledge of program/app coding.

As an example, the NETWORKCONNECTIONSCREEN.STR file and the NETWORK.STR file - obviously important ones (and it's obvious what they are for) - cannot be called up in game, likely because corresponding ini files for those are missing. Looking through some of those network option str files shows, in some cases, more than 30 or 40 different data calls. I can only imagine then how much time it would take to create corresponding ini files for all of those different data calls in the str files, with all of the relevant buttons, menus, submenus, toggles created in the corresponding ini files - to get mutliplayer up and fully functional in FE2 - a daunting task that while theoretically possible would probably take a good month at least of full-time work on it (and then there is the risk of how stable the setup would be when done).

Those who are inclined to tinker further with multiplayer possibilities in FE2 are advised to look at the main Options.ini file first that's in the user folder for FE2. The multiplayer settings should read as follows to be enabled:

[MultiplayerOptions]
      LobbyLaunched=TRUE

The following should also be toggled but I didn't experiment with correct values:

[Multiplayer]
      Connection=0
      PlayerColor=0
      SessionType=0
      GameType=0
      Password=MyPassword
      MaxPlayers=8
      IPAddress=127.0.0.1

In the OPTIONSCREEN.INI file that should be extracted to your "Menu" folder, the following should be toggled:

[NetworkOptionsButton]
      StickySelection=TRUE
      Active=TRUE

In MAINSCREEN.INI, also to be placed in the "Menu" folder, the following should be toggled:

[MultiplayerHotspot]
      Active=TRUE
      Enabled=TRUE

Also, the following should be modified to look as you see here, from the same file indicated above:

[MissionControl]
      SingleMission=SingleMission
      InstantAction=InstantAction
      Campaign=Campaign
      Multiplayer=Multiplayer

And finally, the relevant STR files that are missing corresponding INI files - or maybe requiring some other kind of call that I'm not aware of, are:

NETWORK.STR
      NETWORKCONNECTIONSCREEN.STR
      MPDOGFIGHTSCREEN.STR
      MPHANGARSCREEN.STR
      MPMISSIONSCREEN.STR
      MULTIPLAYERSTATUS.STR
      PILOTRECORDSCREEN.STR (this one is to enable flight recording in multiplayer)

As far as I can see, it's more feasible to continue improving the single-player side of the game, such as improvements in AI, scenery, also the great plane and skin mods that often come out for FE2. And thanks to all who contribute to this game and make it great. Those interested in pursuing the multiplayer aspect further will hopefully find my post useful. I will not be pursuing this topic further since I don't consider the project to be worthwhile.

Happy flying,
      Von S

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..