Sign in to follow this  
CastelEtzwane

Wind Effects

Hello all -

From reading WWI aviator memoirs I know that wind direction was regarded by British aviators as a major part of the flying environment. Account after account notes that the wind blew in favor of the Germans, since it blew from west to east, and thus British aircraft were put at a disadvantage when they attempted to fly homeward (towards the west). And of course when Richthofen shot down Hawker it is noted that during that lengthy engagement the two combatants were blown further and further into German territory, to Hawkers disadvantage.

So is this effect modelled in WOFF ?

Note: I have 'Wind' and 'Wind Effects' turned on in my WOFF setup but only notice wind effects - that is, my pilot's aircraft gets thrown about more on days when the wind blows strongly, especially at higher altitudes.

But what effect should I be noticing from the 'Wind' attribute ?

@OP, as far as I can tell from flying in WOFF of any recent iteration, and also from some of the comments I've read on SimHQ - historical wind drift directions are modeled in WOFF.

Speaking of winds in WOFF, default values give lots of "vertical winds" (no jokes please :no:) in bad weather - so, to compensate and give yourself more of an obvious feeling of horizontal winds and horizontal wind drift, make sure to keep the vertical winds setting in JJJ's excellent MultiMod either set to low at all times or no higher than moderate (and make sure always to have horizontal winds at the default/full setting in the MultiMod). The turbulence values may be tweaked to taste (low, moderate, full).

I've cooked up a variety of simulation.xml files that, in conjunction with the MultiMod, provide further subtleties to winds in the WOFF PE/UE eds., but those files are not recommended for BH&H2. For BH&H2, recommended simply is to use the MultiMod settings instead. Also, those who are enjoying my FrankenBHAH Enhancement Package (for smooth FPS and other benefits) in BH&H2 will notice slightly different intervals between large turbulence bumps. Have extended the default no turbulence interval from 5 secs. to 10 or 12 secs. in the simulation.xml file included in my Enhancement Package (makes for more realistic, occasional turbulence that way I think - instead of having more constant, hyper-turbulent rumbles à la RoF).

For a good comment on winds in WOFF, here is an older post by weather and clouds expert BB. For recommended wind settings via the MultiMod, and as per season (spring/summer, autumn, winter), I recommend the info. in this pic. that I posted a while back.

Happy flying (in smooth and windy conditions),

Von S :buba:

Edited by VonS
Added info.
  • Like 1

OK, thanks for the informative reply. I've got the MultiMod but have neglected the wind settings, so will now take a look.

Also took the liberty of downloading your FM models pack while I was at it - FMtweaksBHAH2ver1.0_VonS. And the Franken mod to improve FPS.

Cheers :biggrin:

• Thanks 1