KJakker

Engine Exhaust Temperature Question?

Guy's how do the temperature of engine exhaust from a jet engine compare to piston engines? I thought I recall reading that a prop planes exhaust pipes being as hot as jet exhaust.

This is related to the effectiveness of Sidewinders vs prop aircraft.

Although I am not very knowledgeable about weapons, but according to my amateur common sense I must assume that the infrared systems of the sidewinders must guide the missile both by the detected heat and also by the volume of the area that radiates the heat, in In this sense, although an exhaust can reach the same temperature as a nozzle, surely the heat-volume formula is the one that would give the missile the greatest precision over the reactors.

Also think that the flow of hot air coming out of a reactor engine is for sure much greater than the one in a piston engine. Think that the F-18 engine, the General Electric F414 expels 77,1 kg/s of hot air which means a long trail of hot gas behind the plane specially if AB are used, I guess that could also give more precision to IR missiles when chasing reactors.