Sign in to follow this  

Okay, so this is my stealth test

I created a mission to attack an airfield in the Libya Terrain which spans the years 1980-2011. I chose 1984, scattered weather, afternoon, heavy air defense.

I first flew the mission in the CF-188A Canadian Hornet (1983-1989), whose BaseRSCModifier is struck out. Theoretically it is therefore the base hit-box size.

I then flew the mission in the F-117 (1982-2008), whose BaseRCSModifier is 0.00005.

The target was an airfield, but instead of hitting the runway, I just flew back and forth across the airfield at around 500ft to see if the ZSUs or BTRs would shoot at me.

On my first pass with the Hornet, my wingman shouted "He's firing", perhaps because he was drawing the gunfire. I passed unscathed and then did a second pass. All airfield defenses were now firing, and I was shot down.

In the F-117, I did pass after pass and no-one fired at me. I targeted a ZSU and flew directly towards it. I flicked between target and cockpit, and noticed that as I passed overhead, the ZSU tracked me. I actually saw the guns traverse, but he didn't fire.

I had first noticed this in SF1 and actually altered the F-117 BaseRCSModifier to a higher figure so that if you flew too low over a target, you could be hit. I got the safe height set to about 10,000 ft. I did this because otherwise there was no danger in an F-117 mission, and I wanted a challenge.

So the conclusion is that the BaseRCSModifier which determines the size of an aircraft hit box actually works to counter enemy air defenses. That's the good news.

The bad news is that it makes little difference  in countering attacks by enemy aircraft.

Using the MiG-25PD Foxbat, I can target an F-117 at 80 miles. The R-40RD AA6 ACRID C, SARH missile can be fired at the F-117 from approximately 34 miles depending on speed, aspect etc.

That's how it is. We went through all this in SF1, little has changed in SF2.

• Like 3

Nice work, interesting info. I wanted to do the same test, but I didn’t have time or when i had I didn’t want to.

Pleas be aware that some aircraft have bad hit-box data. I was doing a project to fix all of the stock aircraft hit-boxes. I should get back to work on that.

• Like 2

some aircraft have bad hit-box data.

INdeed. Look at TK's Skyraiders ... the pilot's hit box is over a meter IN FRONT of the propeller.

KJakker: Good idea for a project, if you wish to invest the time.  But hit boxes are only of relevance to enemy air defenses. Like I argue, they have little relevance to Air to Air combat.

The problem with SF is that modders have taken the game far beyond its original humble beginnings. We've got lots of fantastic modern aircraft, but the game was never designed to accommodate them. The game was designed for 60s aircraft. The BaseRCSModifier was not introduced until several years after the game release to try and stop a gap. The problem may have been that too many pilots were being slaughtered by enemy ground fire.

I remember flying the EF2000 in SF1. Intercepts and Fighter Sweeps were easy. I was master of the skies. When I got a bit bored with that, I thought I'd try and find a newer Russian aircraft to test my mettle against. So I downloaded an Su-35 and instantly got the cockiness beat out of me.

Since it turned up in SF1, I flew the F-117 a lot. I love the aircraft, and the SF2 version is superbly detailed. I enjoy stepping up to 20,000 for cruise, stepping down to 15,000 at the target, dropping the GBUs at the correct slant range, turning back for home, making sure that I don't bank more than 30 degrees. Don't know if that matters, but just following procedure is fun. I even send my wingman home when I know I'm on course and no engine failures. One night, I decided to put a couple of MiGs on patrol  in the target area. I thought it would be fun avoiding them. Next thing I know, I've bought a missile and am on fire. But I'm in a Stealth aircraft, how can that be?

Air to Air engagements are dominated by the aircraft that has the longest range radar and the longest reaching missiles. I doubt the target's RCS has any bearing.

Thanks for discussing this

• Like 1